• Yes, obsessed with movies

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No, not obsessed with movies

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters

Holdontoyourhat

Former Member
Reaction score
It was reported that the RN author had an obsession with movies. Do you agree and if so, why? Who reported the obsession?

Not sure who reported the obsession, but there were some things in the note that were thought to have been influenced by a movie playing in theaters around the time of the killing. The movie had a kidnapping in it, if I recall, but I don't remember the name of the movie. Of course, this is yet another factor that can be used by IDI and RDI. If IDI, it can be seen as an indication that whoever did this was influenced by that movie. If RDI, is can be seen as having been recently seen by one of the Rs and "inspired" the concept of claiming a kidnapping in the note.

Not sure who reported the obsession, but there were some things in the note that were thought to have been influenced by a movie playing in theaters around the time of the killing. The movie had a kidnapping in it, if I recall, but I don't remember the name of the movie. Of course, this is yet another factor that can be used by IDI and RDI. If IDI, it can be seen as an indication that whoever did this was influenced by that movie. If RDI, is can be seen as having been recently seen by one of the Rs and "inspired" the concept of claiming a kidnapping in the note.

Thanks for your post, but I'm confused. Are you saying that there was an obsession reported, but that you don't agree with the report?

Thanks for your post, but I'm confused. Are you saying that there was an obsession reported, but that you don't agree with the report?

Actually, you said there was an obsession reported in your opening comment on this thread. I said I am not sure who reported it. Because though I had read long ago about the movie playing at the time and it's possible influence on the author of the RN, I had not read about an obsession with movies. It's not a matter of agreeing with the report. I haven't seen the report.

It was reported that the RN author had an obsession with movies. Do you agree and if so, why? Who reported the obsession?

Here's your comment. If you can point me towards the report, I'd like to take a look at it.

IMO it's just a coincidence that some lines are similar to things said in some movies.

IMO it's just a coincidence that some lines are similar to things said in some movies.

This seems a little vague.

Are you saying that its just a coincidence that some lines are similar to Speed, Dirty Harry, or Ransom? That the RN author made up 'don't try to grow a brain' as an original idea?

This seems a little vague.

Are you saying that its just a coincidence that some lines are similar to Speed, Dirty Harry, or Ransom? That the RN author made up 'don't try to grow a brain' as an original idea?

Sometimes we pick up and use expressions without even remembering where they come from.If a similar line shows up in a movie doesn't mean that's where the author got it from,it's not like these expressions are unique.I watched Ransom a few times and I didn't find anything that shows me that's where that line came from.

Sometimes we pick up and use expressions without even remembering where they come from.If a similar line shows up in a movie doesn't mean that's where the author got it from,it's not like these expressions are unique.I watched Ransom a few times and I didn't find anything that shows me that's where that line came from.

Are you saying that the RN has no lines from the movie Ransom?

"DO NOT attempt to grow a brain!" Speed, 1994

"Who is the fat cat organizer?" In the Line of Fire, 1993

"If you talk to ayone, I don't care if it's a Pekinese p i s s ing against a lamppost, the girl dies." Dirty Harry, 1971

"If you notify the police, your wife will be killed. If you notify the media, she will be killed. If you deviate from our instructions in any way whatsoever, she will be killed. Do you understand?" Ruthless People, 1986

Do not involve the police or the FBI. If you do, I will kill him." Do not inform the media or I will kill him." No tracking devices in the money or the cases or I will kill him."
Ransom, 1996

Is it a coincidence that so many expressions from the RN can be found in techno-crime movies already aired?

Who is the fat cat organizer?

I guess this is the reason LE didn't take the RN for serious in the first place,a SFF wouldn't need to quote movies like these?

IF the RN writer/writers were indeed inspired by these movies,then he/they isn't a very original,intelligent person IMO.

IF the RN writer/writers were indeed inspired by these movies,then he/they isn't a very original,intelligent person IMO.

Now your on it. Without question.

A ESL author might have bound with what he thought were popular terms and expressions. He maybe studied these movies that already existed and used a blend of the expressions. A ESL RN author attempting to appear more credible and indigenous than he would using his own original material.

An imposter. A spy.

Are you saying that the RN has no lines from the movie Ransom?

"DO NOT attempt to grow a brain!" Speed, 1994

"Who is the fat cat organizer?" In the Line of Fire, 1993

"If you talk to ayone, I don't care if it's a Pekinese p i s s ing against a lamppost, the girl dies." Dirty Harry, 1971

"If you notify the police, your wife will be killed. If you notify the media, she will be killed. If you deviate from our instructions in any way whatsoever, she will be killed. Do you understand?" Ruthless People, 1986

Do not involve the police or the FBI. If you do, I will kill him." Do not inform the media or I will kill him." No tracking devices in the money or the cases or I will kill him."
Ransom, 1996

Is it a coincidence that so many expressions from the RN can be found in techno-crime movies already aired?

Who is the fat cat organizer?

Then there's the TV shows:

"Listen very carefully for I shall say ziss only once" Allo Allo (Michelle of the Resistence) BBC1 1982-1992 (re-runs still showing today)

"Victory!" (German Salute) Allo Allo also 1981 movie Victory! (aka Escape to Victory)

"Sorry 'Bout That Chief" Get Smart 1965-1970 restarted in 1995 briefly (re-runs still showing today), four movies "The Nude Bomb" best known.

Then there's the TV shows:

"Listen very carefully for I shall say ziss only once" Allo Allo (Michelle of the Resistence) BBC1 1982-1992 (re-runs still showing today)

"Victory!" (German Salute) Allo Allo also 1981 movie Victory! (aka Escape to Victory)

"Sorry 'Bout That Chief" Get Smart 1965-1970 restarted in 1995 briefly (re-runs still showing today), four movies "The Nude Bomb" best known.

OK I got "Listen very carefully" and Victory! from the RN, but where is 'Sorry 'bout that chief'?

Sometimes we pick up and use expressions without even remembering where they come from.

Exactly. They're called memes; sayings that enter the public consciousness even if people don't know where they come from. I'll give you an example: everyone knows Clint Eastwoods' line, "go ahead, make my day," whether they saw the movie or not.

If intruder then probably criminally intelligent and original person, but possibly unable to express originality without revealing more information than desired e.g. nationality.Therefore borrowed lines from native movies, believing this jargon to be mainstream and would blend in.

Subtracting mainstream movie quotes and generic kidnap for ransom filler, here's whats left of the RN:

We are a group of individuals that represent a small foreign faction. We respect your business but not the country that it serves.

beheaded
immediate execution
proper burial
Victory!

These expressions don't seem to belong to the generic kidnap for ransom movie filler that dominates the note. IlMO these could better illuminate more personal characteristics of the RN author.

Exactly. They're called memes; sayings that enter the public consciousness even if people don't know where they come from. I'll give you an example: everyone knows Clint Eastwoods' line, "go ahead, make my day," whether they saw the movie or not.

Yep, and 'sorry 'bout that Chief' or now shortened to 'sorry 'bout that' is still in common use today.

Is there a meme in the RN that doesn't relate to a techno-crime drama?

Immediate execution by beheading of a six year old child isn't a meme. Where did THAT come from? I've looked up immediate execution by beheading and found Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Iran in present day, and then Europe and Asia a century ago. Despite all the carnage, the beheading of a 6 year old as a form of immediate execution has, well, no precedent.

It appears to have been an original thought.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991
Back