GUILTY PA - Sabina O'Donnell, 20, raped & murdered, Philadelphia, 2 June 2010

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
By all accounts Sabina O'Donnell was a bright, beautiful young woman. Sadly some creep beat her, strangled her and left her to die right outside her home.

Last evening Ms. O'Donnell spent times at a local bar/restaurant El Camino in the "toney" Northern Liberties section of Philadelphia. Later she went to a friends house and rode her bike home as it was in very close vicinity.

This morning a neighbor walking their dog stumbled upon this poor girl's body which even hardened cops are saying was just horrific. Northern Liberties or NoLibs was a beat down, mess of a neighborhood until artists and gentrifiers took adavantage originally of all the space and potential. Unfortunately it's just as unsafe IMO if not more since the melting of long term residents clases with the gentrifiers.

This poor, poor girl. My prayers are with her family. My parents were born raised and stayed in this neighborhood until the 70's. Now all the sudden young people think they know all about it's history and blah, blah, blah. Clueless. I think Ms. O'Donnell is actually originally from here. Really pretty girl.

http://www.philebrity.com/2010/06/02/update-nolibs-murder-victim-was-sabina-rose-odonnell/

I have just recently moved from this neighborhood, and while I had only met her a few times, I was very good friends with several of her co-workers...such a sad story, I really hope they catch the guy...

I just saw her Facebook. She was so beautiful and seemed like a wonderful person. RIP Sabina.

I have just recently moved from this neighborhood, and while I had only met her a few times, I was very good friends with several of her co-workers...such a sad story, I really hope they catch the guy...

rsorcha, I am so sincerely sorry about this gorgeous woman. I am certain she had a good heart as well.

rsorcha, this may be an awful question at this time, but it makes me wonder. Do you think people now have a false sense of security down there? Given all the developments and all. I am So Not Blaming this beautiful woman. I never blame a victim. I'm only going by what my mom and neighbors say (Fishtowners moved on up). Ya know with the Brewery being al done up and such.

Yes, my mom grew up on Dunton and my dad Crease. Years ago, but third generation. I have professional relatives that spend half their free life down there. It just saddens me so bad. Also, I can't foget about all those home evasions down there not long ago.

Again I am certain Sabina was a bright , beuatiful woman. I am so sorry for your loss.

I believe there will be evidence and this horrible killer will go to prison. I'm sad for her family and friends. RIP, Sabina.

rsorcha,

This is just a question. Wait. Maybe a statement. It blew my mind when they fixed all that up. It also blew my mind that within a few walking blocks depending which way you go it's a scary neighborhood.

Did you find that? One would hope that St. Joh Nuemann would be on the lookout for evil. I had friends purchased a house right there at 5th and Girard. I thought "What are ya out your mind?" They loved it though.

rsorcha,

This is just a question. Wait. Maybe a statement. It blew my mind when they fixed all that up. It also blew my mind that within a few walking blocks depending which way you go it's a scary neighborhood.

Did you find that? One would hope that St. Joh Nuemann would be on the lookout for evil. I had friends purchased a house right there at 5th and Girard. I thought "What are ya out your mind?" They loved it though.

While I was there I was living in the Piazza. I had moved from a small town, and it looked cool. My parents grew up in Kensington but left right after high school. I was always told "never go north of Girard". I was pretty cautious because I was new, and always took a taxi home, but yeah, Girard Ave is definitely pretty sketchy. It wasn't for me (city life in general) so i returned home after five months.

rsorcha, I am so sincerely sorry about this gorgeous woman. I am certain she had a good heart as well.

rsorcha, this may be an awful question at this time, but it makes me wonder. Do you think people now have a false sense of security down there? Given all the developments and all. I am So Not Blaming this beautiful woman. I never blame a victim. I'm only going by what my mom and neighbors say (Fishtowners moved on up). Ya know with the Brewery being al done up and such.

Yes, my mom grew up on Dunton and my dad Crease. Years ago, but third generation. I have professional relatives that spend half their free life down there. It just saddens me so bad. Also, I can't foget about all those home evasions down there not long ago.

Again I am certain Sabina was a bright , beuatiful woman. I am so sorry for your loss.

Ask anything you want, I did not know her well, but I am very familiar with the area (my bedroom looked pretty much into where she worked) so i can offer some perspective.

I don't think there is a false sense of security, because although it is an up and coming area, there was a double homicide (drug related) in my building last summer, and muggings happen often. From the minute I arrived there, I was told NEVER to walk alone after dark, which in the winter meant after 6. I was also a scared little country mouse in a big city, so I was super cautious, I'm sure if you live there long enough you get used to it and a bit of the anxiety goes away.

rsorcha,

Adding to my previous statement, my impression of Philly as an outsider was that one block is beautiful and has exspensive houses, and the next is abandoned lots with drug deals going down. You can be walking and daydreaming and suddenly find yourself in a really bad place. It was strange to me, being a native New Englander

What a sad, sad story.

Isn't Northern Liberties the neighborhood where "party girl" Rian Thal was murdered?

By all accounts Sabina O'Donnell was a bright, beautiful young woman. Sadly some creep beat her, strangled her and left her to die right outside her home.

Last evening Ms. O'Donnell spent times at a local bar/restaurant El Camino in the "toney" Northern Liberties section of Philadelphia. Later she went to a friends house and rode her bike home as it was in very close vicinity.

This morning a neighbor walking their dog stumbled upon this poor girl's body which even hardened cops are saying was just horrific. Northern Liberties or NoLibs was a beat down, mess of a neighborhood until artists and gentrifiers took adavantage originally of all the space and potential. Unfortunately it's just as unsafe IMO if not more since the melting of long term residents clases with the gentrifiers.

This poor, poor girl. My prayers are with her family. My parents were born raised and stayed in this neighborhood until the 70's. Now all the sudden young people think they know all about it's history and blah, blah, blah. Clueless. I think Ms. O'Donnell is actually originally from here. Really pretty girl.

http://www.philebrity.com/2010/06/02/update-nolibs-murder-victim-was-sabina-rose-odonnell/

Condolenes to this girls Faliy!! Shame she wasnt safe that close to her own Home. Prayers are w/ her Family.

What a sad, sad story.

Isn't Northern Liberties the neighborhood where "party girl" Rian Thal was murdered?

Yep, that happened in my former building, which is across the street from El Camino, where Sabrina was that night.

According to this article, she recently moved to Philadelphia from California:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/20100603_Slaying_victim_was__a_total_sweetheart_.html

Joe, ya know that is weird. I had read the same thing. However, now there's interviews with her friends and co-workers. It said and it's said she went to Franklin Learning Center which is a high school here.

There's a $25,000 reward for the capture of the creep that did this to Sabina. There's also quite a few functions preparing to raise money in Sabina's name.

Thank you to rsorcha for her invaluable insight into how the neighborhood seemed to be running. Again, it's unsafe anywhere. However, being a lifelong Philly resident and coming from parents, grands, and great grands from this neighborhood along with a slew of cousins it just blows my mind.

This was a working class neighborhood and the nucleus was Schmidt's brewery. Basically back in the day everyone's dad worked there. Come the 80's and it went way downhill and left to just rot and the owner (who just last week died) allowed it to fester. Once RB got his hands into it he transformed it into the hipster kind of place it is.

It just so bothers me that the crime there is not reported as it should be. I have two family friends in that police district. That's why I had asked about the false sense of security.

That double homocide rsorcha spoke of is waaaaaaay different than this horrific crime against this poor girl riding her bike home. It is awful to hear of any violence and Lord knows a homocide, but that was drug connected.

Prayers for Sabina's family and friends. Such a young, beautiful girl. It is heart breaking.

My gut reaction, as a Philly suburbanite and mom of two girls who live in the City, is that somebody creepy hit on her in the bar. She asked to borrow the bike to get home quickly. The killer managed to outrun her or followed her quickly and steathily home.

I think it will turn out to NOT be random.

Sadly, if she had called a cab, or if somebody walked her home, she would have been ok, at least for a while.

Police now have surveilance video showing Sabina riding her friend's bike home. A man is seen also on a bike passing her and then doubling back. However they are being cautious in saying this may or may not have anything to do with Sabina's murder.

Officer's have also combed two different neighborhoods looking for a suspect. One being Francisville. They have said that Sabina may or may not have known her murderer. O.K. then.

This poor, poor girl and her poor family. My prayers have been going up for them. It's almost unreal someone can just grab you from in front of your own residence and drag you nearby and harm a beautiful young girl in such a manner.

This is just a question in my onw head as I know this area. I can not figure out where the friend's lived at Front and Girard. There are businesses there. An EL stop. Unless they were in an apartment.

With the help of DNA and the video footage I hope they catch this guy quick. It is surely plausable that the suspect saw Sabina in the bar, and according to this article the group had been in more than one. I just have a feeling this guy didn't just happen to see her in the bar.

Sorry for the long post. I have a very close relative that was murdered just blocks from here. It was a very long time ago and he was an adult, but the murderers came from Francisville. I've watched my mom kind of go in a sort of depression and a mourning for Sabina. I guess it all just floods back.

Please, please, please girls and guys as well be safe. My DD lives in the city as well. I constantly nag for the girls to please stay together. Do not be walking home alone from any party. I don't care if you live in University City or on Lombard. Evil is out there no matter where the heck you are.

What a beautiful, beautiful girl. Gone far too soon. She had a special light about her. My thoughts are with her family and friends. I hope the person who did this is caught quickly before anyone else is hurt or killed. Such a waste of a beautiful life.

Police have released surveilence video of a man who was pedaling around aimlessly for hours until he spotted Sabina Rose O'Donnell.

There's pretty decent video of this guy. Please take a look if you can.

LE stressed he is just a POI, but he is seen pedaling the opposite way of Sabina and then does a U-Turn to follow her.

There's a $25,000 reward and LE is hoping someone knows this guy and they can talk to him.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/loca...ges_of_man_in_N__Liberties.html#axzz0qaZm4eOB

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back