CO - Rylan Rochester, 6 mos, suffocated, Superior, 1 June 2010 *Insanity*

GolferChick

Reaction score
If this has already been posted, my apologies...
When I saw this story break late last week, I was hoping that the Mom wasn't involved...

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_15245246

snipped....

BOULDER — A Superior mother accused of killing her infant son told police she smothered the baby, according to an affidavit released today.

Stephanie Rochester told police she thought Rylan had autism and that it was her fault, the affidavit said. She said she was experiencing post partum depression.

"She and Lloyd talked about (sic) they wanted to have fun in life," the affidavit said. "Stephanie said she knew they wouldn't have fun while they were caring for a severely autistic child."

Rochester told police she didn't want Rylan to suffer.

The affidavit says she told police she put a plastic shopping bag over the baby's head. When that didn't immediately kill him, she said, she covered his face with a blanket.

So if you can't have fun, just get rid of the problem by killing your child...:furious:

20100607__steph.rochester~p1_200.jpg

RIP Rylan Angel

Story from the Boulder Daily Camera...

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_15244250

snipped...
According to the affidavit, Rochester told a detective that she worked for two years as a counselor at Children's Hospital and that she worked specifically with children with autism. She felt that her son, Rylan Rochester, had severe autism, and "this was very upsetting to Stephanie," according to the affidavit.

Despite her concerns, no doctors had diagnosed Rylan with any developmental disabilities and said he was progressing normally, according to the affidavit.

Read more: Police: Stephanie Rochester feared son had autism, admitted she 'put blankets over baby's head' - Boulder Daily Camera http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_15244250#ixzz0qDH2Zrq4
DailyCamera.com

That last article you linked is one of the saddest things I've ever read. This little fellow will be on my mind for a long time. I don't know what else to say :(

On May 31, the night before Rylan died, Rochester and her husband took the infant to Children's Hospital Urgent Care because the boy didn't want to eat and was being increasingly fussy. A triage nurse checked Rylan's vital signs, which were normal, and the family left without being seen because of a long wait.

While they were waiting, Lloyd Rochester made a comment to his wife that "he didn't know it was going to be like this, meaning having a child," according to the affidavit. When they got home, Rochester thought to herself, "I've got to do something," the document said.

She placed a plastic Target bag over Rylan's head as he slept and then put a blanket on top of his face, the affidavit said.

"She said that she had conducted research on the computer and read that carbon monoxide poisoning deaths don't hurt and you just go to sleep," Spurgeon wrote. "She did not want Rylan to hurt."

After a minute, she removed the bag, and Rylan was still breathing. She went downstairs, according to the affidavit, and ate dinner with her husband -- drinking wine and discussing selling their house.

"She and Lloyd talked about how they wanted to have fun in life," Spurgeon wrote. "Stephanie said that she knew they would not have fun while they were caring for a severely autistic child."

At about 8 p.m., Rochester told police, she went back upstairs and put three baby blankets on top of Rylan's face. She then went downstairs to help her husband prepare for a trip they had been planning to Cape Cod. An hour later, Rochester "got nervous" and checked on Rylan, who was still breathing but unresponsive. Her husband came into the room and thought Rylan was "sleeping with his eyes open," according to the affidavit.

They went to bed, and Rochester told police "she could hear Rylan whimpering."

At about 2:30 a.m., she got up and put adult blankets on Rylan's head "so that he would die," according to the affidavit.

Read more: Police: Stephanie Rochester feared son had autism, admitted she put blankets, plastic bag over baby's head - Boulder Daily Camera http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_15244250#idc-cover#ixzz0qEGBWfBL
DailyCamera.com
SBM
This woman is a special kind of evil.:furious::furious: I'm not buying the PPD bit at all. Sorry, if you're that depressed, you don't sit around drinking wine, chatting about how the kid is cramping your style, talk about selling your house and get ready for a vacay to Cape Cod.
She TORTURED that baby for at least 6 and a half hours. She researched how to kill him on the internet-if that's not premeditation, I don't know what is. She listened to her dying baby's whimpers and let him "cry himself to sleep". If this "woman" isn't a prime candidate for the death penalty, then I was totally wrong about Stan Garnett. I sure hope that he reconsiders the DP. They need to at least take off her stylish little suicide smock and let her have at it.
I have an opinion about hubby, but since she's the only one that's been charged so far, I will shup for now.
RIP Angel Rylan. I'm so sorry you suffered so much in your short life. I hope that justice is served.

What moron ever led these two to believe that parenthood was all fun? They never thought to have this conversation BEFORE bringing the baby into this world?

The dad sounds very immature. "I didn't know it would be like this" (parenting) What in the h*ll did he THINK it was gonna be like?

As a matter of course mom's defense attorney will more than likely take a stab at the Post partum thing, but I would need more info to know whether I believe it played a role in this.

Based on the limited info I have read thus far, mom sounds more selfish that sick. Sort of like she had "buyer's remorse" about having the child and the possibility that it would require more special care.

For the past two years, the 34-year-old woman from Superior surrounded herself with autistic children. She counseled them at a hospital.

When her own son, Rylan, was born last November, she became obsessed about the possibility that Rylan was autistic according to an arrest affidavit.

Rochester told investigators "...she can recognize the signs of autism and is convinced that Rylan had severe autism."

She citied a lack of eye contact among other alleged symptoms.

"Of course this is horrific," Pediatrician Joe Craig with Rocky Mountain Youth Clinics said.

Craig says Rylan was too young to be diagnosed.

"For the most part, between about age 1 and 2, you're going to start to see the signs of autism, so 6 months old is extremely early, if it's even at all possible," Craig said.

Rochester's husband said she was worried about their son being autistic during pregnancy, and after he was born she thought immunizations could lead to autism.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=140573&catid=339

IMO, this is NOT ppd. She already had Autism in her head when she was pregnant. Nuts, yes, but I don't think she can blame ppd. How disturbing is it that she was counseling children?!?

I'm honestly surprised hubby hasn't been charged with anything. I think he at least had some suspicions and possibly even planted some seeds.

Due to the premeditation and deliberate torture, I really think she deserves the DP.

I agree with spamelope -- they sat around eating dinner and drinking wine, discussing going to Cape Cod and selling their house with her taking brief breaks to trot upstairs and make several attempts to kill her baby. DISGUSTING

they're making me mean, guys. you dont even wanna know the things I am thinking.

not that you dont all think them too if you're reading it...

I hate this woman!
And I hate the man also!
If you don't want to be a parent who may have to deal with taking a baby to the ER etc then DON"T have babies!!!

When my sister had her first baby she was worried he had problems, he was slow developing and had some odd ways about him. She talked to the Dr and he said to just wait and see.
That slow odd baby is now a grown man with a wife and child of his own, he's a very respected school teacher and involved with his community.

Both of these things need to be fixed so they can never have another baby, then they need to be locked up so they can have all the fun they want behind bars.

RIP now little baby, you're now somewhere where you're loved and wanted.

VB

I am not making excuses for the mom because I still think she needs to be punished for a long time, but when I suffered from ppd with my last 2, whenever I would start the antidepressants, my thoughts/fears would just play over and over again in my head kind of like being stuck in a nightmare.I think the fact she was already scared/obsessed about having a child w/autism,it played over and over again. ppd is a very scary illness..That being said, I think anyone who harms their child because of it should be locked away for life in a mental hospital.

I have suffered post partum with all three of my kids, so I know exactly how serious it can be. Fortunately by the time number three rolled around I was wise enough to have my gyn prescribe "mothers little helpers" while still pregnant, so it could have some time to get into my system by birth. Also fortunately, I suffered mild cases and never had trouble bonding with or felt a need to harm my kids. I was on the lighter side - hated everyone, moody, crying all the time, serious mood swings and inexplicable rage towards my dh. Poor man.

That is why, I think I will refrain from deciding whether and if so how much a role it may have played in this case. It sounds as if these fears were plaguing her well before the baby came, probably in part because she worked with autistic kids. It makes me wonder - if having a child beset by the many problems she saw suffered by the children she worked with was a major concern/fear - why have kids?

I just think there is a lot of info we don't have yet about her mental health both before and after pregnancy. Once some more of that info is forthcoming, I will have a better idea what I think about this.

Many of us worry there might be something wrong with our unborn child. It would be more unusual if we didn't.

Not everyone who has these fears has the cruelty and determination to take it as far as this woman. People are perverted (not in the sexual sense) as hell. I can't go there in my head to figure out how she justified this. How she made herself repeatedly suffocate the baby, finding him nearer and nearer to death each time and redoubling her efforts.

This is more along the lines of starving the child to death than a psychotic episode due to PPD where she harmed the baby. A whole different mechanism. And premeditated as hell.

. It makes me wonder - if having a child beset by the many problems she saw suffered by the children she worked with was a major concern/fear - why have kids?

Maybe it did not occur to her until the reality of having her own child set in? How can you really predict your feelings about how you will feel about a future child? Especially post partum? It's all just hypothesizing until you actually have a baby and reality sets in.

I don't think it's possible to foresee everything. You don't know what kind of parent you will be or how you will worry about your child or what you will fear. Add in depression, yet another thing that's not always possible to foresee, and it's not something you can predict.

Having a child brings things out in people. It happens. Unfortunately, here it brought out the very worst.

I am not making excuses for the mom because I still think she needs to be punished for a long time, but when I suffered from ppd with my last 2, whenever I would start the antidepressants, my thoughts/fears would just play over and over again in my head kind of like being stuck in a nightmare.I think the fact she was already scared/obsessed about having a child w/autism,it played over and over again. ppd is a very scary illness..That being said, I think anyone who harms their child because of it should be locked away for life in a mental hospital.
PPD is scary, awgoblin, but antidepressants are even scarier. The effects are unpredictable. The article says she complained of depression to her midwife and was prescribed Zoloft. Please tell me midwives are not prescribing psych meds.

The fact that this mother could slowly and methodically suffocate her child over a 12 hour period, drinking wine and discussing vacation plans in between, shows an extreme degree of emotional detachment. Antidepressants work best when they provide a slight emotional numbing which allows relief to the depressed individual. It's a crap shoot, though, to determine how any specific drug will effect a patient, and patients starting antidepressants should be closely monitored for the first couple of months.

I'm not making excuses for this woman. What she did is beyond sickening, and she should be punished.

I think the trip to the hospital the previous night was so that when they supposedly found his lifeless body, she could say there was something so drastically wrong with him that he had to go to the ER. I think this was supposed to look like SIDS. This woman supposedly researched carbon monoxide poisoning-well, if she looked into it, then how come she was so dense she didn't realize we give off carbon dioxide, not monoxide? I don't buy the PPD defense at all. I'm know many of us here have given birth and have had bouts of it. I know I did. But the difference is we didn't kill our kids and then try to blame it on our hormones when we got caught. I do think Andrea Yates was a very sick woman, but I'm not getting that vibe here. The neighbors interviewed last week never mentioned her fear of Rylan being autistic either. So far I've just heard the father say this, and he's probably trying to give her an "excuse", so to speak. Mom and Dad were in Rylan's room for a few minutes when he was already unresponsive and staring blankly.I remember with all of my kids, if they were even sleeping heavily, I would touch them to make sure everything was okay. I can't believe no one did more than look at him at this time.
I have so many issues with this case it's not even funny.
Here's the mom's ms, though there's nothing on it, there are two pics of her on her wedding day. I am petty enough to have gleaned some satisfaction from the fact that on this special day of hers, she had an outbreak of herpes simplex. http://www.myspace.com/308523022

Stephanie Lynn Rochester:

stephanie lynn rochester.jpg

Well...it''s not like Boulderites have any Real Fear of major retribution for the murder of their own child...at least there is an arresst already...that right there is Big News in itself...let's see if this latest case even makes it to a charge of Child Abuse~RIP Baby Jason Midyette...nothing left to him but a tiny body filled with broken bones, old & new~ so I am NOT going to be surprised if this "mother' is considered as being humane in the manner that she choose to have more fun in her future instead of HER SON.

I'm having a very hard time with the two years that she spent in autistic settings and the fact that she still decided to have Rylan Vacinated...just another item here in the newest CHILD HOMICIDE in Boulder that is setting off my Unfortunately VERY Fine-Tuned BS Meter when it comes to this town.

After decades and decades of a monopoly in the alleged prosecutor's office, a place that I can only refer to as The Public Pretender's Office, there is a new guy in office and sadly enough, it's time for us to find out if things will go on as they have in the past or if it is finally time for Boulder to actually seek out Justice for the Victims and Serve TRUE Retribution for the murders committed within their territory.

I am sooo sorry, Baby Boy Rylan...I wish that your Mommy would have handed you over to me as you would have made me happy, but now I can only watch your back from here...and Baby - I WILL do so.

Hating having the names that are Obviously running through my mind now...I am soooo sick & tired of their "Victory" that after 14 Years, I have enjoyed my break from That Insanity...and hence, due to the death of little Rylan...Theirrrrrr Backkkkkk :banghead:

I think the trip to the hospital the previous night was so that when they supposedly found his lifeless body, she could say there was something so drastically wrong with him that he had to go to the ER. I think this was supposed to look like SIDS. This woman supposedly researched carbon monoxide poisoning-well, if she looked into it, then how come she was so dense she didn't realize we give off carbon dioxide, not monoxide? I don't buy the PPD defense at all. I'm know many of us here have given birth and have had bouts of it. I know I did. But the difference is we didn't kill our kids and then try to blame it on our hormones when we got caught. I do think Andrea Yates was a very sick woman, but I'm not getting that vibe here. The neighbors interviewed last week never mentioned her fear of Rylan being autistic either. So far I've just heard the father say this, and he's probably trying to give her an "excuse", so to speak. Mom and Dad were in Rylan's room for a few minutes when he was already unresponsive and staring blankly.I remember with all of my kids, if they were even sleeping heavily, I would touch them to make sure everything was okay. I can't believe no one did more than look at him at this time.
I have so many issues with this case it's not even funny.
Here's the mom's ms, though there's nothing on it, there are two pics of her on her wedding day. I am petty enough to have gleaned some satisfaction from the fact that on this special day of hers, she had an outbreak of herpes simplex. http://www.myspace.com/308523022

Thank you for posting her MS!
When I enlarged her wedding picture, is it just me who thinks her eyes are rather dilated?

VB

Husband of Superior's Stephanie Rochester hires lawyer, but police say nothing 'chargeable at this time'
By Erica Meltzer and Vanessa Miller, Camera Staff Writers
Posted: 06/09/2010 10:44:23 PM MDT

Stephanie, Lloyd and Rylan Rochester ( COURTESY)
Related

* Autism typically not diagnosed until age 2 or 3
* Police: Stephanie Rochester feared son had autism, admitted she put blankets, plastic bag over baby's head
* Superior's Stephanie Rochester denied bond; faces murder charge Monday
* Experts: Postpartum depression rarely leads to infanticide
* Superior mother accused of killing baby is on suicide watch
* Superior mother arrested on suspicion of killing her infant son

The husband of a Superior woman arrested on suspicion of smothering their 6-month-old son to death has hired an attorney, according to a source close to the case, but authorities say Lloyd Rochester is "not chargeable at this time."

Denver attorney Ronald A. Podboy, according to the source, is representing Lloyd Rochester, 29, whose wife confessed to police that she killed infant Rylan by first placing a plastic Target bag over his head and then putting blankets over his face, according to an arrest affidavit.

Stephanie Rochester, 34, was charged Monday with first-degree murder.

Boulder County District Attorney Stan Garnett said he couldn't comment on whether Lloyd Rochester might face charges as well.

Read more: Husband of Superior's Stephanie Rochester hires lawyer, but police say nothing 'chargeable at this time' - Boulder Daily Camera http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_15265367#ixzz0qSydgwLP
DailyCamera.com

Well...it''s not like Boulderites have any Real Fear of major retribution for the murder of their own child...at least there is an arresst already...that right there is Big News in itself...let's see if this latest case even makes it to a charge of Child Abuse~RIP Baby Jason Midyette...nothing left to him but a tiny body filled with broken bones, old & new~ so I am NOT going to be surprised if this "mother' is considered as being humane in the manner that she choose to have more fun in her future instead of HER SON.

I'm having a very hard time with the two years that she spent in autistic settings and the fact that she still decided to have Rylan Vacinated...just another item here in the newest CHILD HOMICIDE in Boulder that is setting off my Unfortunately VERY Fine-Tuned BS Meter when it comes to this town.

After decades and decades of a monopoly in the alleged prosecutor's office, a place that I can only refer to as The Public Pretender's Office, there is a new guy in office and sadly enough, it's time for us to find out if things will go on as they have in the past or if it is finally time for Boulder to actually seek out Justice for the Victims and Serve TRUE Retribution for the murders committed within their territory.

I am sooo sorry, Baby Boy Rylan...I wish that your Mommy would have handed you over to me as you would have made me happy, but now I can only watch your back from here...and Baby - I WILL do so.

Hating having the names that are Obviously running through my mind now...I am soooo sick & tired of their "Victory" that after 14 Years, I have enjoyed my break from That Insanity...and hence, due to the death of little Rylan...Theirrrrrr Backkkkkk :banghead:

River, I share your pain about past cases in Boulder. But I am really hopeful that SG is cut from a different cloth. This woman was charged with Murder 1 straight off the bat. She is still in jail, not released from a monitoring device to cavort in the mountains. So, in my book, SG is already a thousand times better than Mary Lacy. It also sounds like there may be other charges coming down the pike.
I think the autism card is just a ploy to try and justify her actions for removing this obstacle to their "fun". I mean, really, she could tell this baby was autistic while he was still in the womb? Gimme a break.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker
Back