UNSOLVED MA - Great Barrington, Skeletal remains on riverbank, Jun'10

allaster

Reaction score
GREAT BARRINGTON -- State Police in Massachusetts are investigating bones found by a child Monday evening in Great Barrington.

According to Berkshire County District Attorney David Capeless, a young boy was playing along a riverbank when he found bones sticking out of the sand. He dug the bones out, and he and his mother brought them to the Great Barrington Police Department.

The bones were transported Tuesday morning to the Chief Medical Examiner's office in Holyoke, where a preliminary determination has indicated the bones may be human.

The bones will be forwarded to the Chief Medical Examiner's main office in Boston for examination by a forensic anthropologist, said DA Capeless.

So sad. At least someone somwhere has closure comin down the pike at em.

Great Barrington... there's not too many missing person's cases in the Berkshires... I'd be curious to see how old these bones are.

I heard on the news that these bones were found near Route 7 on a riverbank across the street from a KMart.

Hmmm these sound very old and are probably not from a missing person's case but time will tell.

The link's gone to pay per view but the preview says there used to be a cemetery in the area

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=list&p_topdoc=31
'Creepy' find: Bones
Remains, believed to be human, found near riverbank
Great Barrington
Author: Derek Gentile

Berkshire Eagle Staff
Article ID: 060910A01_art_1.xml
Date: June 9, 2010
Publication: Berkshire Eagle, The (Pittsfield, MA)
Page: A01

GREAT BARRINGTON - A set of bones were found sticking out of the sand along the Housatonic River on Tuesday - and while a preliminary examination indicated the bones may be human, further study is needed for a more conclusive analysis, officials said.

The bones do not appear to be connected to a crime, authorities say, and one local historian theorized they may be from an undocumented cemetery known to have been in the area.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=list&p_topdoc=31

Maybe Sarah Ann Woods? Her killer was caught in Pittsfield I believe.

This article confirms the information about the remains being found near the K-Mart.

The K-Mart went out of business several years ago. I think there's a Marshall's there now.

I couldn't find anything at all about what became of the bones, so I think we can presume they were indeed historic rather than recent.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back