Part #7

Part #6

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106279"]Part #5[/ame]

Please continue here.

Part #1

Part #2

Part #3

Part #4

If you haven't read the rules or TOS lately, now might be a good time to do so. The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Once again, Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. We do not sleuth family until we are given a reason to do so. No one in this case has been named a POI. Further sleuthing, disparaging comments, and speculation about family involvement will not be tolerated. Anyone continuing to do so will be given a time out. THIS IS THE FINAL WARNING.

It is easy to blame the family. And yes, it is important to look there. But at this point, LE has given us no reason to do so. So for now, get out of your "sleuthing comfort zone". There are dozens of other avenues to explore.

Also, we NEVER sleuth minors. You may link to Facebook pages, but do not post direct quotes. And only link to those directly involved in the case.

As always, if you have any questions, please ask. You can PM a moderator, or check the Threadiquette thread that is a sticky at the top of the forum. (Threadiquette- Questions about rules welcome here - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community)

Please do not go off-topic. For example, we had an issue in the last thread with posters picking apart Kyron's science project, or the t-shirt he is wearing. That is off-topic unless you can directly tie it to his disappearance. Hope that's clear.

Reminder: if you have a tip, not matter how small you think it is, please call the tip line at 503-261-2847. If the tip line is answered by automated response, your tip will be heard!!! 503-261-2847

Reminder we are a victim friendly forum. At this point the entire family would be considered victims. Please don't play word games with me.
When we say victim friendly we mean all those that are immediately victimized by what appears to be a terrible crime. This includes the family that is missing a 7 year old child for the love of God.

You are free to discuss your opinions on statements made, possible doubts you may have or questions raised by the information or lack thereof.

But if you start throwing around careless accusations against the family or sleuthing out their personal information or discussing the color of lipstick someone was wearing, you will be given a no expense paid vacation.

If the situation changes and if the investigation by LE points back to the family then these rules will change. We roll with the news and as more information is revealed and as LE gives us information, we adjust.

As I have said, imagine this is your child and people are looking at YOU.

Moreover, stereotyping some of these players is positively embarrassing to the forum. KNOCK IT OFF
Slightly modified by Salem.

I thought this was a pretty good article - nothing exciting, but it gives a little of the local point of view on working with the media (bbm):

A reporter from The Oregonian complained to me that she couldn't get any of the parents to talk to her. The sadness is overwhelming, and no one wants to interfere with the investigation. But everyone that I have talked to in my neighborhood is furious and hurt at the unfair comments that are being made about the school. So I convinced a very shy neighbor to grant an interview. The agreement was that the story would talk about what it was like to be a parent at Skyline. She gave an hour interview about the extraordinary and caring staff, how it feels as safe as her living room, how the principal knows every child by name. She gave examples of how they are safety conscious. When the story was published, the paper primarily used a comment about which exits are supervised or unsupervised. That's the other reason why people aren't talking very much.

Full article here.

Just another perspective on the silence.

On expanding the search: this is so depressing for me. It feels like they've looked everywhere they can think of and this is a hail mary pass. :( I hope they find the little guy.

Whew - I thought we were shut down.

Here's a link to my post from last night in case anyone missed the VW vid. (Just something to think about)

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5271246&postcount=215"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #7[/ame]

I see that Tarabull has been online - hope she sees it and chimes in today. (Maybe I will PM her.)

Have the step-brother and his (the step-brother's) father returned from camping yet?

I thought this was a pretty good article - nothing exciting, but it gives a little of the local point of view on working with the media (bbm):

Full article here.

Just another perspective on the silence.

On expanding the search: this is so depressing for me. It feels like they've looked everywhere they can think of and this is a hail mary pass. :( I hope they find the little guy.

I can verify that... I've been quoted by the Oregonian before and what they put in was out of context and edited a certain way. It was my words, but they quoted me the way they wanted to... My experience, IMO, JMO, MOO, etc.

I pray that even if it is through complete chance and luck, that LE stumbles upon a lead that carries them to Kyron. Please, let answers come today.

Re the last post in the previous thread, concerning science-fair exhibits being set up in the gym. (I don't know how to bring quotes over from a different thread.)

Kyron's tree frog exhibit was set up in his classroom. We don't know whether any were set up in the gym and there has been no confirmation that Kyron and/or his sm went to the gym that day.
(The gym only came into this through an anonymous comment made under a news story. It's an unverified rumor.)

ETA: maybe I'm getting confused on the time. Does Fox news do a broadcast at 11amPST or 12pm PST?

Have the step-brother and his (the step-brother's) father returned from camping yet?

The step brother is a minor and we are not allowed to sleuth him. It is very unwise to try to determine and post here the whereabouts of ANY minor, as I am sure none of us would want the whereabouts of our minor children posted here or anywhere else.

That being said, school in Oregon is obviously still in session.

jmo

ETA: maybe I'm getting confused on the time. Does Fox news do a broadcast at 11amPST or 12pm PST?

Fox 12 here in portland has a 11- 11:30 am broadcast "Mid Day Oregon"
Then the next scheduled NEWS broadcast at 4pm and 5pm

But they have been covering the PC's live

The step brother is a minor and we are not allowed to sleuth him. It is very unwise to try to determine and post here the whereabouts of ANY minor, as I am sure none of us would want the whereabouts of our minor children posted here or anywhere else.

jmo

I'm not trying to sleuth anyone. The camping trip was mentioned way in the beginning and I'm just wondering if they had returned. That's all. Not accusing or trying to sleuth anyone.

Multnomah County sheriff says boy's family has 'fully cooperated'
Published: Thursday, June 10, 2010, 6:25 AM
Updated: Thursday, June 10, 2010, 9:53 AM

Lauer noted that "more and more people are starting to talk about the fact that this family has decided not to step into the spotlight" -- a contrast with other parents of missing children who have spoken publicly. On Wednesday, a sheriff's official read a statement written by the family, asking the public to continue looking for the boy. Lauer asked if Kyron's parents are "fully cooperating."

Staton said the family has cooperated "in every effort."

"They have been consoling each other. We are respecting that."

Article: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/search_for_kyron_horman_to_exp.html

Video: [ame="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/37611479#37611479"]Today Show Video Player[/ame]

JMHO:

E-mail from Mr. Horman suggests this family has had plenty of access to legal counsel since early on in this case - through Intel, and otherwise. The've been told not to talk to media, no doubt about that.

Here's what I see: A couple going somewhere familiar together during crisis - to do something constructive to relieve anxiety and doing it together - a place where they know people they feel they can trust - a place where they can just go together, support each other and not be harrassed. (their gym)

Then I see them trying to get home and realizing their lawyers were probably absolutely right about not talking to media. (Thinking advice is: don't talk to media - just like in Mr. H's e-mail)) If you don't talk to media, they won't follow you so much.

I think there's nothing unusual with this victim's family or this couple except they are smart, they have resources, they are using them (see e-mail) and they are choosing at this critical time to be private.

IMO, those who want to take the victim's parent's private and joint visit to their gym and make it into something sinister are missing all the obvious signs with regard to this case. It's a criminal investigation into a missing/endangered child. Foul play, not accident. Likely abduction, and not mom/dad violence.

If anyone wants to discuss that that this family is disengaged from their child's disappearance and has not, in fact, been using every resource available to them, providing every photo and video and every bit of information they can, providing clothing for dogs, visiting search sights and fully cooperating with everything LE/FBI requests of them, here at WS, please remember that you need to provide the link that indicates this is a fact.

Otherwise such conversation is wild and unfounded speculation about the behavior of the victim's family, and that's completely out of line. IMO.

By the way, Horman's dad is an engineer. I have personal experience with a variety of engineers, having gone to college, lived with, and work with engineers. Engineers make lists, prioritize, keep balance, and do the things on their list in the order they need to be done. The can be rigid in annoying ways, but also in endearing and dependable ways. Including their rules about getting exercise, if that is part of their regular routine. I have seen 70 year old engineers make lists about "how to grieve properly". They are fact-based scientific creatures. They get comfort from order, logic and process. I think there's lots of folks here who know engineers, and even engineers will smile and admit yes, process and routine is comforting.

I think it's extremely important to respect the fact that everyone's different and not immediately assume that the way someone is handling their grief is a sign of guilt. I think it's part of being a decent human being to hear LE saying "the family has been completely and fully cooperative" and realize that that likely means the family has been completely and fully cooperative.

One additional observation:
I noted SM's FB went private within 24 hours of bloggers rushing to point fingers at SM's workout shout-out to her gym friends, and the fact that there is a white truck next to her red car, as proof she's capable of doing sinister things to her son. There's a support team in place watching and supporting this family's privacy. Frankly, I'm glad to see this family has this level of intelligent and thoughtful support. And that feeling comes from watching many other cases develop here on WS with very different family dynamics.

BBM
I had to bring Emma's post over!

What can I say Emma - this is a great post, detailed, insightful, and, rest assured, empathic, and strikes at my heart with accuracy.

The only idea I would add is yes, engineers get comfort from order, logic, and process, make lists, border on obsessive compulsive when it comes to detail - so do teachers. Teachers are also detail oriented, organized, and logical and have the ability to disseminate these wonderful attributes to the children in their classroom.

If you notice the playroom for Kyron and his 18mo sister, everything is organized with baskets and compartments. Kyron's science project screamed order and meticulous detail representing his parents' most treasured traits. moo

As you pointed out: In dealing with the tragic loss of their son, the parents are using the traits that come natural to them by sticking to what is familiar and safe. Even though little, if any, of their life can still be considered routine, they are finding it in the comfort of their familiar gym and through a workout together. How great it is that they can do this. moo

And thanks for mentioning all the resources such as high powered law firms, computer geeks, etc. I wish all parents of missing children had access to such an array of advise.

I love your post Emma - thank you! :blowkiss:

Thank you - that was me.

See, now that doesn't make any sense. Science Fairs are ALWAYS set up in a big room and not in classrooms. First when you put the board on a desk - it takes up way too much room. Second, its easier to centralize the projects for the judges and for the tours - rather than going in and out of classrooms. I think that picture was taken the day before - all the kids brought their projects in - put them on their desks and then were taken "in groups" to the gym to set them up there. I'm probably wrong - but after reading the school's newsletters today - it seems they "got their chit together" when it comes to stuff like this. The gym makes sense. Frees up the classrooms for the kids to have a place to sit. Keeps "visitor" traffic to a minimum - only going in and out of the gym, etc. etc.

Ok - I'll shut up now.......wish we could get some verification of something here!!!

jmo

I am pretty sure that I saw a post from one of the mods a couple of threads back that the question of whether they returned from the camping trip was okay as long as we use the info only to establish a timeline. I don't think anyone here is asking exactly where this boy is staying at this time, or where they are/were camping, just if "they"; the boy and his dad,( SM's ex), returned. I don't know the answer.

I saw people asking about why the family seemed shocked to be approached... IMO... from what we have heard this is a close community and people are pretty kind to each other.

The police asked that media back off the family. I believe a lot of the local media honored that for now, especially with whatever was said in their sit down interviews.

So I think this may be the first group of reporters to bother them. Maybe they had faith in people respecting the police's requests to not bother them and they were not expecting to be questioned.

but this being said, the reporters were not being rude to the family, although the main subject of their article was to question the family

This discussion is moving too fast for me to read every single comment, so if this has been addressed, please forgive me.

I am wondering if the picture of the boy in the vehicle has been published with the request for that person to identify himself so that that picture can be eliminated as "possibly Kyron".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10