The Science Fair-IB Expo and the Electric Project

JBean

Retired WS Administrator
Reaction score
Discuss what we know about the expo here.

Is there any information regarding the 'electricity' science fair project? Where it was located in the school (if it existed at all?)

Is there any information regarding the 'electricity' science fair project? Where it was located in the school (if it existed at all?)
I think the only reference is from the classmate.

Is my understanding correct that the project was already set up at the school? The reports I read said he was anxious to show it to his SM, which made it seem as though it was already set up. do we know for certain?

JBean I don't know for certain, but I don't think they brought the project in that day. I think it was already set up with the other projects.

Took place from 8-10.

School opened at 8:00 AM for the science fair.
At 8:45, as the bell rang, children were to report to their rooms to be divided up into groups to tour the science fair.
At 10:00, they were to return to homeroom to have class.

Then the talent show was the afternoon thing, from 1:00 - 2:45.

Jessigirl... If you want I will start a thread about the talent show...

I would really like to know this too. So far the only mention of this exhibit has come from T. relaying a conversation he had with Kyron?

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/search_for_missing_portland_bo.html

"It was not clear, however, whether Kyron, like every other student in the school, then participated in a classroom-to-classroom inspection of other science projects.

Parent-led groups of about four students walked among the classrooms, said Gina Zimmerman, president of the Skyline PTA.

"You were supposed to stay with your group," Zimmerman said. "I don't know what group he was in." "

a few more quotes from media articles about the expo:
http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/n...te-noticed-Horman/TVY3YTREG0SyCP3tb3MkZg.cspx

“Eight-year-old T P says the first person to notice Kyron Horman missing was a substitute teacher who was taking a head count as the second and third grade class was re-assembling after visiting other classrooms for a science fair at Skyline School last Friday.
"And she was like 'oh no where's Kyron there's only five' and Mrs. Porter was like it's okay calm down, calm down he's probably in the bathroom or getting a drink of water and she said alright I'm going to leave and she left, " says T P.
But, Portland Public School spokesman Matt Shelby said the account can't be true: "There were no substitutes at the school that day (the day Kyron disappeared)," he said.”

This is the same article that includes comments from T’s grandmother admitting that T had been asked not to speak with the media, but she elected to allow him to do so anyway. I hope she hasn’t seriously compromised this investigation.

The article also discusses that Portland School District Spokesperson, Matt Shelby believes that T is confused because substitutes were called in the week following Kyron’s disappearance to act as relief to teachers who might need an emotional break. I disagree with Mr. Shelby’s opinion. I suspect that, rather than a substitute teacher, this person who noticed Kyron missing when she did the headcount was a volunteer chaperone. If we read T mother’s statements in this article:
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/details_emerge_about_the_day_k.html

“Carol Moulton said the kids were supposed to report to their classes and be divided into small groups of a few students each. Each group was supposed to tour the science fair with a chaperone. Afterward, when they returned to their classes for roll call, Kyron wasn't there, she said.”

To me it is clear that if the classes were to be divided into smaller groups then they must have had some adults there other than the teachers, because the ratio of chaperone to kids was higher than usual for these Science Fair tours.

Both of these news articles were published very early on in the search for Kyron, and I believe, before involved parties were asked not to talk to the media.

The quote in my previous post from Gina Zimmerman PTA president corroborates with Carol Moulton's description of the small groups taking the tour.

I think T Pused the word, "Substitute" when he should have said "Volunteer Parent Chaperone"

I think this information also answers the question about whether there was a substitute in Kyron's class for the day. There was not. Mrs. Porter taught the class as usual, but she had at least one volunteer helper during the time from 8:45 to 10:00 when the students were meant to be touring the Expo in small chaperoned groups.

That makes me think that Kyron went missing while he was in the care of some not publicly identified parent volunteer.

This is what I asked about several times on the old discussion thread before we got this forum but never got any info. I really want to know if there was an Electricity Project or if someone told Kryon about it as a ruse to get it him away from the others.

Or if there was a project like this can anyone around that exhibit confirm that Kryon even made it there. This info could nail down the last place he was seen inside the school.

a few more quotes from media articles about the expo:
http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/n...te-noticed-Horman/TVY3YTREG0SyCP3tb3MkZg.cspx

“Eight-year-old TP says the first person to notice Kyron Horman missing was a substitute teacher who was taking a head count as the second and third grade class was re-assembling after visiting other classrooms for a science fair at Skyline School last Friday.
"And she was like 'oh no where's Kyron there's only five' and Mrs. Porter was like it's okay calm down, calm down he's probably in the bathroom or getting a drink of water and she said alright I'm going to leave and she left, " says T P.
But, Portland Public School spokesman Matt Shelby said the account can't be true: "There were no substitutes at the school that day (the day Kyron disappeared)," he said.”

This is the same article that includes comments from T’s grandmother admitting that T had been asked not to speak with the media, but she elected to allow him to do so anyway. I hope she hasn’t seriously compromised this investigation.

The article also discusses that Portland School District Spokesperson, Matt Shelby believes that T is confused because substitutes were called in the week following Kyron’s disappearance to act as relief to teachers who might need an emotional break. I disagree with Mr. Shelby’s opinion. I suspect that, rather than a substitute teacher, this person who noticed Kyron missing when she did the headcount was a volunteer chaperone. If we read T’s mother’s statements in this article:
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/details_emerge_about_the_day_k.html

“Carol Moulton said the kids were supposed to report to their classes and be divided into small groups of a few students each. Each group was supposed to tour the science fair with a chaperone. Afterward, when they returned to their classes for roll call, Kyron wasn't there, she said.”

To me it is clear that if the classes were to be divided into smaller groups then they must have had some adults there other than the teachers, because the ratio of chaperone to kids was higher than usual for these Science Fair tours.

Both of these news articles were published very early on in the search for Kyron, and I believe, before involved parties were asked not to talk to the media.

The quote in my previous post from Gina Zimmerman PTA president corroborates with Carol Moulton's description of the small groups taking the tour.

I think T used the word, "Substitute" when he should have said "Volunteer Parent Chaperone"

I think this information also answers the question about whether there was a substitute in Kyron's class for the day. There was not. Mrs. Porter taught the class as usual, but she had at least one volunteer helper during the time from 8:45 to 10:00 when the students were meant to be touring the Expo in small chaperoned groups.

That makes me think that Kyron went missing while he was in the care of some not publicly identified parent volunteer.

Now in this statement we have Mrs Porter (his teacher?) saying to calm down, calm down, he's probably in the bathroom or something.... Is Mrs. Porter his teacher, the same teacher who thought SM told her across a crowded room that he had an appointment and was leaving with SM??? If so, I think this is hinky she couldn't believe that he left with SM and think he was just getting a drink or going potty one would have to either be an untruth or sheer confusion - I've known a few scatterbrained teachers while raising my four kids so this is possible too. jmo

editing to add: re: appt What parent tells a teacher across a crowded room about an appointment a week in advance??? none, you send a note the day before or call in the morning of the appt., at least that is my personal experience with such things.

In the grade school my granddaugher attended IF a child had an appointment during school hours the parent or guardian had to send a note or call the school to tell them what time the appointment was scheduled for.. The parent or guaridan had to report to the school office and sign in.. The child would report to the school office.. The parent or guardian would have to sign the child out... If child was returning to school that day, the parent or guardian would have to do the same when the child returned...Sign the child back in and sign themselves out..
There was a time when a parent could just inform a teacher their child had an appointment and take the child... but that was then... This is now..
Also, my granddaughter is now in high school and still the parent/s or guardian are required to notify the school if the child is going to be absent, late or has to leave early.. Also, if arriving late due to an appointment with doctor or dentist the child has to have proof they had an appointment when they sign in...If they leave for an appointment, they have to sign out and when they return have proof as to the reason they left early...

Can we confirm from a credible source who all was invited/allowed to attend the fair? Parents only? Other family members, friends of the family, adults only, teens okay, non-student children family and/or friends, neighbors, grandparents, people with no relationship to any students or the school, who?

We need to distinguish who was invited/expected to attend, from who might have been able to wander in due to the lack of security.

I notice, in the picture of Kyron in front of his project, that all the other displays are already in place. Was Kyron's project put up that morning, when the others were done the day before? It just seems so deserted in there...

It's been soooo long since I participated in a Science Fair-- does anyone here have a reference on when the projects are usually put up? tia

.[B says that is the last he saw of Kyron because Kyron never made it back to the classroom[/B]

"He walked by the hallway and I'm like, 'Hi, Kyron,' and he's like, 'Hi. I'm going to go see this cool one. It's electric.' I'm like, 'Alright, bye.' And that's the last time I saw him," T said. "He never did make it back to class."
http://www.kptv.com/news/23842774/detail.html

so if this statement from Kyron's best friend T is true than how do explain the huge inconsistency with the following statement

~snip the first person to notice Kyron Horman was missing was a substitute teacher who was taking a head count as the second and third grade class was re-assembling after visiting other classrooms for a science fair at Skyline School last Friday.

"And she was like 'oh no where's Kyron there's only five' and Mrs. Porter was like it's okay calm down, calm down he's probably in the bathroom or getting a drink of water and she said alright I'm going to leave and she left, " says T.

~snip says Kyron was in school for at least an hour Friday morning and that he saw Kyron's step-mother leave the school without Kyron.

~snip Upon hearing the substitute teacher noticing that Kyron was not present in the classroom, P says the regular teacher said Kyron had probably gone to get a drink of water or to use the bathroom.

~snip P's grandmother says F-B-I agents and Multnomah County investigators have asked P and his grandmother not to speak with the media, for reasons they did not divulge. Fuhrur says she decided to allow her grandson talk ~end snip

http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/ne...P3tb3MkZg.cspx

[I believe the "substitute" was an adult chaperone for the group of 6 that Kyron was supposedly in] I understood this above statement to mean that upon returning to Mrs. Porter's classroom that the chaperone did a final head count and voiced concern when she realized their were only 5 students and that Kyron was the one unaccounted for.(this tells me that Kyron was in the classroom when the students were divided into small groups and then headed out to tour the science fair) Mrs. Porter seems to tell the chaperone that he[Kyron] is probably just in bathroom or at water fountain. The chaperone then leaves.... Therefore this statement is contradicting the statement that T gives saying Kyron never made it back to the classroom when they then divided into smaller groups for the tour, rather Kyron was last seen in the hall alone setting off to see the "electric" science project

Any opinions on the contradictions?

. says that is the last he saw of Kyron because Kyron never made it back to the classroom

"He walked by the hallway and I'm like, 'Hi, Kyron,' and he's like, 'Hi. I'm going to go see this cool one. It's electric.' I'm like, 'Alright, bye.' And that's the last time I saw him," T said. "He never did make it back to class."
http://www.kptv.com/news/23842774/detail.html

so if this statement from Kyron's best friend T is true than how do explain the huge inconsistency with the following statement

~snip the first person to notice Kyron Horman was missing was a substitute teacher who was taking a head count as the second and third grade class was re-assembling after visiting other classrooms for a science fair at Skyline School last Friday.

"And she was like 'oh no where's Kyron there's only five' and Mrs. Porter was like it's okay calm down, calm down he's probably in the bathroom or getting a drink of water and she said alright I'm going to leave and she left, " says T.

~snip T says Kyron was in school for at least an hour Friday morning and that he saw Kyron's step-mother leave the school without Kyron.

~snip Upon hearing the substitute teacher noticing that Kyron was not present in the classroom, P says the regular teacher said Kyron had probably gone to get a drink of water or to use the bathroom.

~snip P's grandmother says F-B-I agents and Multnomah County investigators have asked P and his grandmother not to speak with the media, for reasons they did not divulge. Fuhrur says she decided to allow her grandson talk ~end snip

http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/ne...P3tb3MkZg.cspx

[I believe the "substitute" was an adult chaperone for the group of 6 that Kyron was supposedly in] I understood this above statement to mean that upon returning to Mrs. Porter's classroom that the chaperone did a final head count and voiced concern when she realized their were only 5 students and that Kyron was the one unaccounted for.(this tells me that Kyron was in the classroom when the students were divided into small groups and then headed out to tour the science fair) Mrs. Porter seems to tell the chaperone that he[Kyron] is probably just in bathroom or at water fountain. The chaperone then leaves.... Therefore this statement is contracting the statement that T gives saying Kyron never made it back to the classroom when they then divided into smaller groups for the tour, rather Kyron was last seen in the hall alone setting off to see the "electric" science project

Any opinions on the contradictions?

Thank you! I have been thinking about this contradiction all day. T gives contradictory information. Either he left to go see the "electric exhibit" or he was in class and in a group for the tour. If there really was a cool electric exhibit, I would think Twould have seen it and not spoken of it in the abstract--"a cool electric" vs "the cool electric" if he had seen it as well.

Personally, I am thinking he never got to the classroom for the tour. I think he was gone before that. And I don't think there was an electric exhibit and I think it was a ruse to get him out of the school.

If it is true that the teacher thought Kyron was getting a drink, maybe she did think that for a minute, and then remembered that Terri had said something about an appointment and figured he went with her. She did not owe T any explanation.

I just have the beginning of a theory sparked by the last words we have from Kyron about his being off to visit the electrical project as he passed his classroom door around 9am.

It has seemed odd to me that Kyron wanted to go see the electrical exhibit right away, not waiting to go with his class group of 6. It's been a gnawin' at me for days now.

BANG It just hit me as to why. He knew he had to leave school to get picked up and wouldn't be there for the tour. He wasn't about to miss that project IMO

I think his comment about going to see this project in that set of circumstances could be the nitty gritty to solving this case and naming those involved.

I just have the beginning of a theory sparked by the last words we have from Kyron about his being off to visit the electrical project as he passed his classroom door around 9am.

It has seemed odd to me that Kyron wanted to go see the electrical exhibit right away, not waiting to go with his class group of 6. It's been a gnawin' at me for days now.

BANG It just hit me as to why. He knew he had to leave school to get picked up and wouldn't be there for the tour. He wasn't about to miss that project IMO

I think his comment about going to see this project in that set of circumstances could be the nitty gritty to solving this case and naming those involved.

DING DING DING DING!! There we go, folks. Maybe he saw it with his mom, knew he would not have another chance, and ran back to see it real quick before he had to take off to an...um...'appointment'?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back