FL - Teen Charged with Sexual Battery - 1st brush w/Law resulted in No Crime

Was this an attempted kidnapping?

• Yes, his story doesn't make sense to me

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • No, it's obvious he was just trying to help

Votes: 36 90.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I watched this story yesterday, at no time does the teen act menacingly toward the little girl, he never picks her up and tries to make off with her. I honestly believe he thought she was lost. It doesn't make any sense that he would attempt to kidnap a little girl, with his mother standing right there, and probably driving him to the store and back now does it? I would have done the same thing as this young man, so I may be charged as well in the future. He seems like he is a good person, just trying to help.

I think it was a misunderstanding. When he walks out the door with her he is pointing, probably trying to point out her mommy? I think if he was trying to take her he wouldn't have been so casual about walking out with her.

I voted yes. When he goes for the cart he is looking around instead of just getting the cart. There is a woman standing at the register or some counter right near the child. If he thought she was lost why not ask that woman standing right there? Why lead the child out of the store instead of going to a store employee?

I voted no... saw this on tv this morning.

It is inconceivable to me that this boy has been charged. How often do similar scenarios happen all across the country, when children slip away from their parents in a store? I have many times done the same. I don't think I have ever actually left the store, but he made an assumption that one of those women was the mother of the child and he went to find out. I doubt I would even think twice about doing the same thing, if I had identified someone who left the store as the possible parent. It was an honest mistake on his part. I find it frightening that trying to help a child find her mother could even remotely lead to arrest. Many of us are always hollering that people should look out for the children of others and get involved. Now we must fear arrest if we do? This is insane.

Essentially, this is a he said, she said with the media deciding who to believe and influence public thought. I can see it from both sides and do not think there is anywhere near enough information to make a decision either way. If he was doing wrong, he has the perfect excuse. If he was trying to do what was right, I feel bad for him. I do think, if his mom was there, one should have stayed with the child/talked to a store clerk while the other went to the parking lot to approach the women.

I don't think he would have brought his mom along if he had nefarious intentions. Not that, in our weird world, that could never happen, but would seem very unusual IMO.

ETA: Also, I'm wondering why the mom wasn't charged as well, if she was following along behind him?

I wonder if Edwin is mentally challenged at all?

I say No, he didn't pull the child out of the store with him looks like he never touched the child at all, she followed him. I don't think his intentions where bad, I think he was just trying to help her.

I voted yes. When he goes for the cart he is looking around instead of just getting the cart. There is a woman standing at the register or some counter right near the child. If he thought she was lost why not ask that woman standing right there? Why lead the child out of the store instead of going to a store employee?

I say no. I have a 7 yr old and she is always beside me in the store and never out of my site. That was a 3 yr old by herself and no adults were paying any attention to her. The boy didn't run out of the store I didn't even see him touch the little girl.

we wonder why people watch other people get hurt and even die, but do nothing?
this is why.

no good deed goes unpunished. :(

I say no. I have a 7 yr old and she is always beside me in the store and never out of my site. That was a 3 yr old by herself and no adults were paying any attention to her. The boy didn't run out of the store I didn't even see him touch the little girl.
Well neither did the man who led a little girl out of a store a few years ago and then she was found murdered. It just showed him walking ahead of the little girl out of the store. Sorry can't find a link but I remember it well.

No matter what search words I use I can't find it. Argh! But it was a few years ago, there was a surveilance video that showed a man walking ahead of a little girl about three years old, and they walked out of the store. The girl was found sexually assaulted iirc and murdered.

eta: as far as the poll goes I based my opinion on the video alone as that is all the info I had. Seeing him or hearing his side may have changed my opinion.

I voted no.
Oddly enough I have a friend who was in this exact situation and went to jail for it. She was at a hotel when she found a little girl wandering out by the pool she asked the girl where her mom was and she told her she was not there, but she was there with her grandma. So my friend takes the little girl by the hand and starts walking to the lobby area to talk to security when the little girls grandma starts screaming "SHE IS TAKING MY GRANDDAUGHTER STOP HER!!" The security guards call 911 and detain my friend, police came and took her to jail for 6 days, she had to go to court and she got probation.
Unfortunately, this is a cautionary tale because I think sometimes people do want to help but are afraid they might be misunderstanding the situation and don't want to get in trouble or make someone upset.

Thanks for the URL post Laura08. I had not been able to see the store video till now. I voted a definite NO. We all try to teach our kids to help others and obviously this boy was trying to do the right thing. I never did let my child and now my grandchild out of my sight anywhere in public. The boy's mother said the child's mother said "thank you" as she took the hand of her child. Then WHO called the police? I assume it to be someone in the store.

Also, the arresting policeman, parading this boy in handcuffs...with his history in the PD, why is he so high up and still wearing a badge?! If they DO NOT remove this "arrest" from this young boy's record it will be another outrage!

All I can say is, with all these child abductions on the rise, PLEASE keep an extra eye on your children. Teach them NOT to leave Mom & Dad's side. I feel so strongly about this.

This is a tough call. Being young this fella really probably doesn't know what to do if you find a lost/wandering child. So that being said I will go with "no" on charges.
If I saw someone walking out the door with my child that person would get physically harmed by me. So then I would probably get arrested. lol

I agree with you completely and noticed his body posture when he was with the cart. He seemed to be looking around as if sizing up the situation. And if he thought the little girl was lost all he had to do was notify the clerk right by her. He went out of his way to get her and lead her OUT of the store, even though there was store personel right by her. All he had to do was take her to them a few steps away. I think he had malicious intent, but whether or not he did wrong. What a mistake to go leading other people children out of a store when you are a total stranger.

He called the child over to himself. I don't believe him or his lawyer. His lawyer is getting paid to take his side and say he had no mal-intent.

I voted no.
Oddly enough I have a friend who was in this exact situation and went to jail for it. She was at a hotel when she found a little girl wandering out by the pool she asked the girl where her mom was and she told her she was not there, but she was there with her grandma. So my friend takes the little girl by the hand and starts walking to the lobby area to talk to security when the little girls grandma starts screaming "SHE IS TAKING MY GRANDDAUGHTER STOP HER!!" The security guards call 911 and detain my friend, police came and took her to jail for 6 days, she had to go to court and she got probation.
Unfortunately, this is a cautionary tale because I think sometimes people do want to help but are afraid they might be misunderstanding the situation and don't want to get in trouble or make someone upset.

Should just goto hotel clerk or store manager tell them and let them handle it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerseyLizard
Back