Cantu's Family Wants to Block Autopsy Report Release

joga

Reaction score
http://www.kcra.com/mostpopular/23936056/detail.html

i'm one million times in support of her family's request..her cause of death has been released, the public now knows the gory details. how much is too much! quite frankly, i think it's crazy they're having to fight so hard for this. she is their baby, it's time to leave them alone. IMO.

http://www.kcra.com/mostpopular/23936056/detail.html

I'm one million times in support of her family's request..her cause of death has been released, the public now knows the gory details. how much is too much! quite frankly, i think it's crazy they're having to fight so hard for this. she is their baby, it's time to leave them alone. IMO.

I thought about this a lot when the Kings did the same, and came to the conclusion that while I agree these girls deserve to have their dignity preserved as much as possible, and don't blame them for trying to have the reports sealed etc, IMO the parents are going about it the wrong way.

Essentially, by asking the state to give them special treatment, they are unintentionally saying that their kids deserve dignity but the thousands of other murder victims in California don't...it's kind of an insult to the families of other victims that don't have media attention on their side.

IMO, a much more ethical and compassionate approach would be for these families to get together with other families of murder victims and victim's advocacy groups and put pressure on state gov to tighten up the victim's privacy laws, sort of a reverse sunshine law with regards to murder victims. Another approach might be to file with the courts that privacy laws that protect normal autopsy reports should also apply to murder victims. I don't know, just some ideas, but to me they feel more 'right' than the current approach, because to me, ALL murder victims and their families deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, regardless of their ability to use the civil court system (which is where the current system in CA is skewed to favor the wealthy, gotta be able to afford a lawyer to file those motions unless you have enough media attention to attract a lawyer willing to go pro-bono).

All JMO of course, hope I'm not coming across as a jerk.

it's great that some families become activists once their child is murdered, but i don't feel like it's a duty or that it is an insult to other families at all the way they are going about this. i don't think the Cantu's are thinking they are better than anybody, they are just trying to protect Sandra right now. maybe in the future, they will take on the things you discuss, but i don't think that that should be an expectation of them.

The problem with all the privacy stuff, in my opinion, is that its the same kind of thinking that has made it virtually impossible for adopted people to find their birth parents, even after everyone is long dead.

Therefore, I think the laws in California regarding sealing or unsealing of autopsy documents should remain as they are and exceptions should be undertaken on a case by case basis.

Most of the time, autopsies just don't matter to anyone. Until, perhaps, many years later. Also, if they are readily available to everyone it is less likely they will be leaked to tabloid type news outlets, or sold at auction, etc.

Personally, I have no interest in seeing the autopsy for Sandra. The grand jury transcript is satisfying my curiosity about the case quite nicely and I am grateful the judge saw fit to release it.

If that was my daughter, I would lose my mind at the thought that the public got to mull over the revolting and tragic details of her murder by the sick beast. When someone you love dies, especially when it's not of old age, they become sacred to the family very often. The details of their death often become something the family wants to guard from those that did not love and know the decedent. After reading the GJ testimony of Dr. Omalu, I can really, really empathize with Sandra's family. I wish I never read it. I felt sick for several hours. Poor, sweet kid. I can't imagine how the family copes. I couldn't.

Not to mention the fact that the Cantu's do not want the siblings to hear/see the graphic details. I respect their wishes. RIP Sandra!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back