TX - 17 Afghan soldiers AWOL from Lackland AFB, June 2010

justthinkin

Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/17/afghan-military-deserters-missing-air-force-base/

Excerpted:

"A nationwide alert has been issued for 17 members of the Afghan military who have gone AWOL from a Texas Air Force base.,,,
,,,The Afghan officers and enlisted men have security badges that give them access to secure U.S. defense installations, according to the lookout bulletin, "

The only thought that comes to mind is stuck on stupid. Why do they have to come here to learn English? Couldn't we have sent someone over there to teach them English?

This makes military intelligence an oxymoron!

Added note: I see now that these men have escaped over the course of two years, and none in the last 3 months. So why the heck is Fox News running this as an exclusive?

I think because the BOLO seems to have just gone out. Makes you feel very secure, no?

Yesterday the report that a total of 17 Afghans have gone AWOL from Lackland Airforce Base in San Antonio, and today hearing the state capital was evacuated due to a bomb scare sure has a way of making a person worry.

Boy that chaps my butt! Didn't our govt feel compelled to watch these guys just a little closer? I'm totally surprised at the fact that they were even here and being accomodated like that.
I didn't like the looks of their expressions in the pictures either

Thank you for the article.

At the Lackland AF Base all foreign students (military) go there first to learn English. IIRC it's english immersion training. Then they get sent to whatever military school provides the training. How come we are training them? All of the countries that we have a partnership with are invited to send their troops for training (only a certain amount). Why? We are trying to help the Afghan build their own military. They are learning to become self sufficient and in the future will not need us to be there. All of the above is JMHO and also my experiences too. FWIW, I met many foreign military members from all over the world (and many of their family members too) while they attended school with my Husband last year. (and in previous years).

I noted this when I read the article:

snip:

...Each of the missing Afghans was issued a Department of Defense Common Access Card, an identification card used to gain access to secure military installations, with which they "could attempt to enter DOD installations," according to the bulletin. Base security officers were encouraged to disseminate the bulletin to their personnel...

FWIW, it happens all the time. Foreign Nationals go AWOL all the time.

The CAC card is a identification card that you would call a military ID for those serving in the US Military. It's a temporary CAC for the foreign military. It's a guest CAC and doesn't include full access as it would to our Military. It can be revoked at any time and the revocation is entered into the computer system. If and when that revoked card is used to access an instillaton or other services---the revocation would pop up and they would be busted. (If you have seen a recent US Military ID CAC you will see there is barcode that can be scanned). All of the above is just my humble experiences and not supported by links.

Military Intelligence has nothing to do with these guys. MI is for combat operations not for tracking down Afghans within the continental USA. FBI and maybe homeland security and the perhaps the State Dept. would track these men down. JMHO.

Also I saw this:

snip

..The official further said that an unspecified number of the 17 have been caught. "A number of these guys have already been located or accounted for by now," the official said. "Some are in removal proceedings to be deported already. (Authorities) still need to locate the others, and that is why the bulletin went out."

The official said the information is "kind of old" -- up to two years -- but added, "It is important in the sense that some people look to come to the U.S. and will take advantage of invitations to train or attend a conference or to study, etc. But their real intention is to get to the U.S. and start a new life. It is not completely rare for this to happen....

Now when I read that, first I read how long the period of time was that these Afghans went missing.

Then I read that (earlier in the article) it's stated this is an immigration problem not a security problem.

I'm not discounting anyone's fears and I believe that the reporter incited the response he/she wanted to get out of writing that.

Why not cover all the number of AWOL from foreign nations that train here and what their originating country is, and their status? Why just apply this to Afghani military? Certainly we would respond with alarm and concern.

I echo the OP (justthinkin) why run this now? Shame on the network.

How about this take on it?

I work for federal LE and we got the actual BOLO on Thursday morning! And where are we? Central Texas! Ya know, just a few hours north of Lackland AFB!

The BOLO was sent out in the past few days. NCIS did the investigation (2), one as recent as 6/11/10. I had to sit and FUME all day Thursday knowing this info and waiting for it to be covered in the media. I was actually relieved to see the media (Fox) cover it yesterday morning.

Just wanted to put a different take on it, as some maybe think it's a "non-story" now. I'd say NO...why would a BOLO be distributed this week? And the BOLO was certainly not reading that, "hey, we want to talk to these guys for immigration concerns." :furious: IMO experience, that isn't sounding right. Nope. They need to be found and interrogated. THEN maybe they can determine whether these specific individuals are more of an immigration issue or something more criminal. Geez, one can't jump to conclusions first, just because the others that have been found weren't caught doing something criminal. I'd like to think other DoD, DHS and other LE would be a little more cautions. JMO.

-----Then, separate from that...

Then the bomb scare in Austin yesterday, and another federal agency in my building came to us saying they received a suspicious package in the mail yesterday afternoon. Wild times lately.

WHY are these people here in our country at all? To learn English??? WTH???

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back