Locals post your pictures here

I am sorry I am so dumb! I just saw this and wondered why pictures of the local posters were wanted. lol

Thank you, locals, for going to the trouble to post pics for the rest of us.

abbie

These are not the greatest pictures. My 11 year old daughter was with me and she was hungry and whining. Plus, the roads are narrow and there are almost no places to stop to take pictures. The land is very flat so you can't really get up high anywhere to get a big picture. Just wanted people to get an idea of what the place looks like. I will go back some time this week and get some more, better photos. Maybe of Sturgeon Lake and all the roadside thick growth/swampy areas.

http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/yy81/gwenabob/Sauvie Island/

Gwenabob, those are great photos! =)
And yes you are correct, it is very hard to stop and take pictures on the Island and up near the school due to no places to pull over..

Thanks, guys. It was a tough assignment. The thing I want to really stress is that this is a HUGE place. The grass is tall everywhere. It was NOT crowded at all today, on a Saturday. I imagine it was nearly deserted on a Friday morning, on a school day. The roads are windy and have no shoulder in most places. If a little kid were to be dumped, it would take only 40 seconds to stop, throw it off the side of the road into a swampy, thick growth spot, and no one would see him unless they were specifically searching. The searcher have a daunting task scouring that island. Lots of small, private roads that could be used for dumping, lots of watery spots. So, so sad. They really need to just walk the roads with cadaver dogs. I only hope he wasn't stuffed into a suitcase or something!

Thanks, guys. It was a tough assignment. The thing I want to really stress is that this is a HUGE place. The grass is tall everywhere. It was NOT crowded at all today, on a Saturday. I imagine it was nearly deserted on a Friday morning, on a school day. The roads are windy and have no shoulder in most places. If a little kid were to be dumped, it would take only 40 seconds to stop, throw it off the side of the road into a swampy, thick growth spot, and no one would see him unless they were specifically searching. The searcher have a daunting task scouring that island. Lots of small, private roads that could be used for dumping, lots of watery spots. So, so sad. They really need to just walk the roads with cadaver dogs. I only hope he wasn't stuffed into a suitcase or something!

LOL And I bet if you had dangled your toes in the water of Sturgeon Lake you would have plants encircling your feet {like in Minnesota ;} YUK

It is an odd name for that lake as I thought Sturgeon liked deeper water like Lake Oswego. Must be some history there for something besides Indians and :D strawberries. Whoops, forgot the nudies. lol

Thanks Gwenabob, If you go again could you get a shot of the area adjoining the gym? Ta

Thanks Gwenabob, If you go again could you get a shot of the area adjoining the gym? Ta

Are you asking about the gym where they work out? If so, and if it's the one I think it is, I more or less live down the road from it. Do you have a specific question/idea?

I could, but the gym isn't really near Sauvie Island. You might check with freefallzzzz who did the photos in the link below. She might know where it is better than me. I live on the east side and don't really know the roads on the west side that well. It is easy getting to the island, however.

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t166/ubrmel/KYRON/

Are you asking about the gym where they work out? If so, and if it's the one I think it is, I more or less live down the road from it. Do you have a specific question/idea?

Hi there Tzedek, It is on SI, right? I'm thinking it might be a comfort zone for someone used to being there. People in trouble often work within their comfort zone as we know.

I don't think this was a single perp situation and am thinking there might be some contact on SI possibly connected to that gym. Someone to help in disposal that knows the island so well it will be a Godsend if found.

Now I've really wondered why they have focused so heavily on the M Channel. They must have had a tip in that direction. It hasn't panned out.

I wonder if that neck of the woods on SI in the vicinity or close by the gym has any place that would be very difficult from which one could recover a body. xox

I could, but the gym isn't really near Sauvie Island. You might check with freefallzzzz who did the photos in the link below. She might know where it is better than me. I live on the east side and don't really know the roads on the west side that well. It is easy getting to the island, however.

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t166/ubrmel/KYRON/

Oh, I'm mistaken then as I thought I saw the gym marked on a SI map. My bad and thanks. xox

Just wanted to add my THANK YOU to the locals for taking the time to go take pics for the rest of us....not having ever been to Portland, or the west coast for that matter, seeing these pics really helps to picture what's going on as we follow the case (it looks like a beautiful area, I'd love to visit). So please know your time and effort is MUCH appreciated!!!

Hi there Tzedek, It is on SI, right? I'm thinking it might be a comfort zone for someone used to being there. People in trouble often work within their comfort zone as we know.

I don't think this was a single perp situation and am thinking there might be some contact on SI possibly connected to that gym. Someone to help in disposal that knows the island so well it will be a Godsend if found.

Now I've really wondered why they have focused so heavily on the M Channel. They must have had a tip in that direction. It hasn't panned out.

I wonder if that neck of the woods on SI in the vicinity or close by the gym has any place that would be very difficult from which one could recover a body. xox

I could be wrong, but I don't think the gym is on SI. I am not aware of anything like that on SI.

Can we get some specific info on the gym? There was reference to a name for the gym at one point, but I can't remember where. But the name fit with a gym I know, and the location of this gym would make sense given the area where the family lives, works, etc. If it's the gym I think it is, it's not in an area like SI, but surrounded by businesses and not far from Hwy 26. That said, pretty much anywhere one is in Oregon, one wouldn't be too far from some sort of wilderness/remote type area. That's one of the things that has driven me crazy about this case....go a few minutes in any direction from the school or home and there are any number of places to dump something you don't want found.

Found it. I think.

If it's the gym were donations were being accepted, it's a couple of miles from me. In the type of area I described.

Oh, I'm mistaken then as I thought I saw the gym marked on a SI map. My bad and thanks. xox

Definitely no gym. Lots of farms, a few houses, a few stores where they sell fresh produce, one church, one school, and that is about it. Like being in the middle of Kansas except you only have to cross a bridge to get to a million people.

The gym is here:

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/2-6II3ffUjdgw0jrl1xgd2

Tzedek, yes! I believe that's the same gym.

ETA: gwenabob, your pictures are amazing! I was thinking of doing a hike on SI today to refresh my memory on the terrain... did you notice that anything was closed off due to the search? Or even the weather?

Tzedek, yes! I believe that's the same gym.

ETA: gwenabob, your pictures are amazing! I was thinking of doing a hike on SI today to refresh my memory on the terrain... did you notice that anything was closed off due to the search? Or even the weather?

No, I did not see anything closed. I did not go to the beach on the Columbia side except to drive by it on the north end of the park, past Sturgeon Lake. I am not sure they were actively looking on SI yesterday. I heard Germantown Rd on the Portland side.

There was one place that really stuck out toward the end of my trip yesterday. I want to go back with another driver who can drop me off to take photos then drive back to get me. It is frustrating that there is no pulling over to the side of the road to stop or park.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back