Why is LE treating this case different?

butterfly1978

Reaction score
Is it just me or is LE treating this case completely diffrent from any we have seen before?

We have seen LE keep things close to the vest before,but personally I have never seen this type of investigating strategy. Why is that?
They want the public's help but will not confirm anything. Even the last time Kyron was seen. They have not called this an abduction, yet they dont think he wandered off, yet they dont think anyone else is endanger...??....??? WHAT?

They are handing out questionares to be answered and returned seeking information... When has this EVER happened?

They create a flyer with the last person seen and a truck on a missing child poster. WHEN HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED?

Nobody is making a public plea for Kyron, not even LE just stating the need tips and they will bring him home, but not asking if someone has him please dont hurt him, feed him, return him to his family.

What is LE and FBI doing in this case? What is their strategy?

Is it just me or is LE treating this case completely diffrent from any we have seen before?

We have seen LE keep things close to the vest before,but personally I have never seen this type of investigating strategy. Why is that?
They want the public's help but will not confirm anything. Even the last time Kyron was seen. They have not called this an abduction, yet they dont think he wandered off, yet they dont think anyone else is endanger...??....??? WHAT?

They are handing out questionares to be answered and returned seeking information... When has this EVER happened?

They create a flyer with the last person seen and a truck on a missing child poster. WHEN HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED?

Nobody is making a public plea for Kyron, not even LE just stating the need tips and they will bring him home, but not asking if someone has him please dont hurt him, feed him, return him to his family.

What is LE and FBI doing in this case? What is their strategy?

Every time I go to take a midterm or final exam I always seem to lose what information I thought I had learned and go blank during the test....

....I am now starting to have a similar occurrence in regards to this situation and Kyron.

I think I know, but I know nothing. I think it's for the best though, I really do.

I think it is because it is not the normal abduction case we usually see. The setting is an upscale area with a Mr Rogers school and not in a low rent area of NE Portland. LE had an inkling about the meat of the case almost immediately. All they really had to do was find the body and it hasn't happened. In other words the crime spoke of itself loud and clear to them and they still wanted to dot every i.

The other factor was IMO LE got too close to the case ~ emotionally that is. That alone, with LE in the family and a Sheriff who had a hard time of it at times in front of the public, could have possibly had their focus damaged. IMO only. Probably being way to critical this late at night xox

Remember, it has only been two weeks.

Nothing at all like Ashley Pond and Miranda Gaddis is it?

I wonder too.... what's the benefit for them? Is it because they need to be able to prosecute, and expect to use a death penalty request so have to have air tight case?

I can only hope...

Fortunately Portland doesn't have many child abductions. I remember two that stayed with me. In 1984 Luke Tredway went missing a few blocks from my home. There was a lot of publicity and I remember seeing his flyers for a very long time. He was never found but in 1996 Douglas Wright confessed to kidnapping him and molesting him and killing him right before he was put to death for seperate killings of 3 homeless men.
In 1989 a little four year old, Lee Iseli, was kidnapped from a park near my home. He went missing for several days. I remember his father pleading for his return. His body was found at Vancouver Lake. Westley Allan Dodd was responsible and he too was put to death for Lee's death and the death of two brothers.
I both those cases it was clear that a stranger was responsible. I don't remember any talk about the families. In fact I seem to remember in both cases the parents pleading for their child's return.
Oregon has had it's share of people who killed their children. Diane Downs comes to mind. She was very vocal in proclaiming her innocence and putting the blame on a stranger but I don't remember LE ever acting like they believed that. About a year ago a woman threw her children off the Sellwood bridge. I believe they caught her trying to kill herself. There was no question who the perpatrator was in that situation, either. I believe she pleaded guilty and got life in prison with a chance at parole in 30 years if I recall.
The point is, I don't remember a situation in Oregon where a child went missing and LE was so quiet about it, as are the parents. The lack of information from LE, despite the frequent press conferences is something I don't understand. You have people rightly concerned for their children's safety and truly concerned about Kyron. I don't feel they have done enough to reassure the community that there isn't a murderer out there. And the way the family has behaved is unlike anything I've ever seen in a high profile missing child case. Most parents of missing children are begging the media for coverage, begging to be on tv, anything to get their child back. People have been questioning why the family hasn't done that since the beginning.
I don't know if this is some new way of handling these types of things or if it's case specific to this situation but it is beyond frustrating.
I understand their need to protect the investigation and maybe their are concerns about naming a person of interest that there would be pressure to make an arrest before they have the evidence but I have never seen anything like this before.
Praying for some answers and for Kyron to come home soon.

Nothing at all like Ashley Pond and Miranda Gaddis is it?

I wonder too.... what's the benefit for them? Is it because they need to be able to prosecute, and expect to use a death penalty request so have to have air tight case?

I can only hope...

I forgot about that. That was shameful the way they handled that case. If they gave Ashley half the attention that they have given Kyron right from the beginning I believe that Miranda would still be alive.

Maybe they're dealing with something that was so well planned and carried out that there's no evidence to back up their suspicions. It seems to me that they want the public to recall if they saw the white pickup that day and for anyone to come forward if they saw Kyron leave the school and with who.

It is impossible to know why the police in this case are conducting their investigation in the manner they have.

I do not see the flier being put out as just sinister toward Terri Horman. In fact for all I know they may be trying to rule her out and wants those who saw her to come forward saying they saw her alone in the truck leaving the school and not with Kyron.

I found it very interesting what the best friend of Tony Young's said. There is a possibility that LE can be giving all the attention to Terri knowing this is infuriating the suspect since LE has not even mentioned possible other suspects could be the perp.

I have thought about what he said and he is also a cop and I do remember that some of these kind of kidnapper/murderers hate it when they aren't getting the limelight and in other past cases they even began to write the police,local press and sometimes the families mocking them on how stupid they really are for not being able to figure it out. If this is a stranger then they were expecting the community and police to panic. If it was done by someone else such as a stranger or predator they would be angry that the police has labeled it an isolated incident. Although later on the police did say they are not ruling out an abduction when at first they said they didn't think it was an abduction.

So why they have decided this is the best way to conduct this investigation, only they know.

IMO

Personally I have never followed a case which has been handled in this fashion. I have never followed a case where the media gives me the impression it is 'off limits'. :waitasec:

I will continue to have faith in LE although their actions have me more than puzzled. I just want Little Man to come home.

jmho

The questionnaire puzzles me. I suppose it has the potential of reaching a lot of people quickly and seeing Terri and Kyron could jog people's memory about other suspicious people but I find it troublesome that parents fill it in with their kids. Most of them are probably not very knowledgeable about questioning children without leading them on and I could see a defence attorney trying to dismiss any witness accounts brought forward by this approach because the questionnaire may influence the parents to suspect somebody and they might unwittingly coach their children about what they "should" have seen.

I found it very interesting what the best friend of Tony Young's said. There is a possibility that LE can be giving all the attention to Terri knowing this is infuriating the suspect since LE has not even mentioned possible other suspects could be the perp.

I have thought about what he said and he is also a cop and I do remember that some of these kind of kidnapper/murderers hate it when they aren't getting the limelight and in other past cases they even began to write the police,local press and sometimes the families mocking them on how stupid they really are for not being able to figure it out. If this is a stranger then they were expecting the community and police to panic. If it was done by someone else such as a stranger or predator they would be angry that the police has labeled it an isolated incident. Although later on the police did say they are not ruling out an abduction when at first they said they didn't think it was an abduction.

So why they have decided this is the best way to conduct this investigation, only they know.

IMO

BBM...wait! I missed that! Who and what did he say??? Is there a thread for that?

TIA.

I think the questonaires are an inspired route to go; they are dealing with a missing child where time management is essential and they have a moving target of a crime scene with hundreds of people to try and interview-better to be able to prioritize the interviews by sifting through the questionaires.

For me the critical questions that would help me sleuth the case center around when Kyron was actually last seen. And what is the basis for the waterway searches in whatever area they have focused on.

Not expecting answers to these two any time soon....

I think that if SM told LE what she did that day and where she went, then they need to verify her story and that is what they are doing. There are no witness to back up her story. So if she told them she went to Sauvie Island or the phone pinged there, then they have to search because she is the last one who saw him. It is normal to do that. That is why they want traffic video, if she said she went this route, and she's not on it in that car or truck, oh boy. If they don't find any trace of Kyron on that island, they can't arrest her for shopping. But holes in her story will bury her. So that is why, they need either a confirmation that someone saw her with him, or someone saw her at Sauvie Island and he wasn't with her. Something to back it up. I still have a hard time believing she did this, without other signs of abuse, or mental disorder, it doesn't fit for me. I will say that I do know and understand about psycho paths, that they have no remorse, or guilt about what they do to get what they want. We have seen this in many cases here. I don't know SM to say anything about her personality and that is why I don't believe it now, but if evidence comes to light that will be another story. JMO

IMO, there are two reasons why we're not hearing much from LE.

One is obviously they're dealing with children as potential witnesses, and ranging in ages from 5 to 13-14 years old. I know Skyline also has childcare available before and after school, so we may have preschool kids who saw something of value to investigators. With children that young, you have to be very careful to determine if they're telling you what they've truly witnessed vs what they've heard from others. Pin-pointing a time line would be difficult with kids in this age group too; I imagine they are more interested in what they may have seen in relation to a certain activity rather than a specific time. For example, "When I was coming back from ___, I saw Kyron go out that door." Then investigators have to determine what time it would have been when that child was returning from ____. (did that make sense?)

The second reason I feel they're holding so much close to the vest relates to the time line. There is a huge time gap from when Kyron was last seen by an adult who I assume isn't involved in any way in his disappearance (8:15 by the PTA president) to when he was 'officially' missing. Many others have pointed out (and I am so sorry I can't recall exactly who) that for LE to come out and say he disappeared at a specific time could wreak havoc on the prosecution and create reasonable doubt.

Another possible reason could be the sheer number of people who were present that day: students, teachers, parents, friends and family of students, school staff and contract workers, delivery... any could be witnesses OR involved in his disappearance.

The fact that Kyron's stepfather Tony is a detective might play a role.

BBM...wait! I missed that! Who and what did he say??? Is there a thread for that?TIA.

Here's the thread: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107135"]TMH's friend claims she will do 2nd polygraph - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Sorry if this is the wrong thread ...

Is the FBI still involved in the case? I'm wondering how much local LE is being directed by them as to the best way to handle this. I have never followed a case this closely from day one so it's very hard for me to compare.

I did read over that questionaire and the first thing that came to mind was that it had been designed by prosecutors. I didn't want to believe the SM could have any involvement but the way this is going I just don't see any other reasonable scenario. If she was out running errands that's not typically something you can do without contact with other people so it should be easy to verify. I keep wondering about the father too. If his wife was involved somehow, wouldn't he have some clue? My heart breaks for this little boy.

It is impossible to know why the police in this case are conducting their investigation in the manner they have.

I do not see the flier being put out as just sinister toward Terri Horman. In fact for all I know they may be trying to rule her out and wants those who saw her to come forward saying they saw her alone in the truck leaving the school and not with Kyron.

IMO

Do you have a link for the statement by a friend of Tony Young?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back