MN MN - Daniel Zank, 37, Coon Rapids, 24 Oct 2006

Denny Griffin

Reaction score
Website
www.crimewiresite.com
This case was referred to Crime Wire. It will be profiled on the CW show on Bllog Talk Radio on June 22. Your comments or input are appreciated. Denny Griffin for Crime Wire

On October 24, 2006 at 12:30pm, Daniel Zank’s body was found on the kitchen floor of his Coon Rapids, Minn. residence with multiple stab wounds. He was 37 years old. Dan was the lead singer for the ‘80s cover band Jet City. He was known to his friends and fans as Danny Z. People were attracted to him and admired his singing voice.

At 9:40 am on that day Dan’s mother, Laura Zank, received a call from him. When she picked it up after two rings, no one was there. She called him back to ask why he didn’t finish the call and got his voice mail. The police estimated that between the time of that call and around 10:30 am Dan was stabbed to death.

His body was discovered by the homeowner, Michelle Gidding, Dan’s 38-year-old girlfriend, when she returned home and found a door had been forced open. Afraid, she left the home and called friends to come over and enter the house with her. Upon the friends’ arrival they entered the home and found Dan dead.

He had been stabbed 14 times, including twice in the buttocks, and two of the wounds would have been fatal. The police report stated Dan had defensive wounds on his arms and hands, there was no blood spray on his body from the knife coming out 14 times, plus they believed his body had been moved. However, the medical examiner ruled his death a suicide. And the circumstances stated in the police report were not mentioned in the ME’s paperwork.

Laura Zank hired a forensic pathologist to review the investigation of her son’s death. In his opinion there were too many questionable things about Dan’s case to support the suicide ruling. Laura’s lawyer took the pathologist’s findings to the medical examiner. She refused to look at the report and the police won’t re-open an investigation unless the ME changes her suicide ruling.

The Zanks aren’t the only family to encounter coroners or medical examiners that refuse to explain their decisions or amend them when credible evidence exists to support changing a previous ruling. Unfortunately, there are more families in their situation than you might think. Perhaps someday victims’ families won’t have to feel they have been victimized twice: First by the loss of their loved one. And again by the very system that is supposed to bring them justice.

Daniel Zank
Daniel+zank.JPG

Daniel was stabbed to death 13 years ago this week.

Crime Wire: The Death of Daniel Zank; Suicide or Murder?

From an obituary found online:

Daniel "Danny Z" R. Zank, 37, of Coon Rapids, Minn., died Tuesday, Oct. 24, 2006, at his residence.

Memorial services will be held in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

In Minnesota, a memorial service is at 2 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 4, at Salvation Army Harvest Corpse Church, 10347 Ibis St. N.W., Coon Rapids.

Another memorial service will be at 1:30 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 11, at Seventh Day Adventist Church, 5th & Clay Street in Neillsville, Wis. Visitation is 12:30 p.m. until service time.

Daniel was born Sept. 7, 1969, in St. Paul, Minn., to *removed for privacy* and *removed for privacy*. He served in the Army National Guard. He later moved to Minneapolis, where he owned and worked at cell phone stores. He sang in various bands, wrote and performed his own music along with all other music.

This one is sooooo interesting now that I’m reading more. On a YouTube tribute video, someone commented that THAT coroner has been fired now. So I really feel they should re-look at this. I don’t see how this was ruled a suicide. I’m curious about someone that also lived there.

This one is sooooo interesting now that I’m reading more. On a YouTube tribute video, someone commented that THAT coroner has been fired now. So I really feel they should re-look at this. I don’t see how this was ruled a suicide. I’m curious about someone that also lived there.
After I posted this I researched the coroner. I’m afraid this case will never be reopened because the medical examiner did not get fired. She retired. But she also founded the company that currently does medical examinations. So the current “coroner” would basically have to say their boss was wrong. And if for some reason, there was an error, it could potentially affect many many years of cases because that coroner had been there a very long time. Say for example, if this case would need up calling into question her ability to examine or ethics or who knows what. She’s since written books, gone on TV, etc, so her reputation is VERY important to her I would speculate.

After I posted this I researched the coroner. I’m afraid this case will never be reopened because the medical examiner did not get fired. She retired. But she also founded the company that currently does medical examinations. So the current “coroner” would basically have to say their boss was wrong. And if for some reason, there was an error, it could potentially affect many many years of cases because that coroner had been there a very long time. Say for example, if this case would need up calling into question her ability to examine or ethics or who knows what. She’s since written books, gone on TV, etc, so her reputation is VERY important to her I would speculate.
Then I say we name her and shame her. If her reputation is so important, maybe she will feel obligated to do her job the right way, like she should’ve done years ago.
I’m sorry, but I don’t care who she is and how influential she is. If she screwed up, she needs to be called on it and it needs to be corrected.

I believe I found her name: Janis Carol Amatuzio

Then I say we name her and shame her. If her reputation is so important, maybe she will feel obligated to do her job the right way, like she should’ve done years ago.
I’m sorry, but I don’t care who she is and how influential she is. If she screwed up, she needs to be called on it and it needs to be corrected.
I’m not sure if she screwed up but I don’t understand her conclusion. I’m confused by the fact that she was clearly so experienced.

However, that coroner had a complaint filed about a time when she DID change the cause of death, and the complaintant alleges that she based that change on eyewitness testimony that later was unreliable. (He was imprisoned for murder) However, his complaint was denied, not because they determined she hadn’t made a mistake, but because the complainant missed the statute of limitations timeframe, so they didn’t rule on whether she made a mistake.

This could be a deep dark messy hole.

Last edited:
But I mean really? Stabbed himself 14 times, including twice in the butt?

I’d be curious to know her reasoning (ie details she had but we don’t) but on the face of it someone committing suicide in such a way defies logic.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back