2010.06.21 - Bone found in river not Haleigh's

This was reported today. I am not sure how to link as it's on all the local news. This doesn't surprise me as I still think that she's buried close to where RC or TN resided.

Bone Found In St. Johns River Not Haleigh's
Posted: Monday, 21 June 2010

"Snip" http://www.thesky973.com/pages/7516851.php

Staff Reports

Investigators said a human bone that was found in the St. Johns River in April did not belong to Haleigh Cummings.

The bone is that of a long-dead Native American, according to the Putnam County Sheriff's Office.

UF forensic anthropologist Mike Warren made that determination.

Search teams scoured the St. Johns River in April in connection with the Haleigh case. They said they found two cinder blocks, which were sent to a lab to be tested.

So they really were analyzing a bone? :(

Please link when you can. WOW

ETA: Found links in the media thread.

So they really were analyzing a bone? :(

Please link when you can. WOW

ETA: Found links in the media thread.

Kimster, posted in the media link and today's updates.
This is so sad, LE must of thought they finally had something and now it turns out to be a bone from a native American. I wonder if other bones or teeth were found. It is so frustrating that LE does not share much, I know they don't have to and if it will help get the person who hurt Haleigh charged I understand. But it is still frustrating. I now wonder if the other items that were found came back from the lab and there is a pending arrest? I pray that this time LE got something to help in the Haleigh Investigation.
I also wonder if this bone is what made LE change the status of Haleigh being missing to a Homicide investigation and if so, then they were wrong. Will they now go back and say the case is still a missing person case? So many questions and no answers
. :banghead:

UF lab examined remains in search for Haleigh Cummings
Experts determined a bone wasn't of the missing girl, but was a Native American's.

"Snip" http://www.ocala.com/article/20100621/ARTICLES/6211007/1402/NEWS?p=3&tc=pg

Erica Brough/The Gainesville Sun

By Cindy Swirko Staff writer

Published: Monday, June 21, 2010
( page 3 of 3 )

As it turns out, human remains were found in the St. Johns River by law enforcement scuba divers searching for Haleigh Cummings in April - but they weren't those of Haleigh.

They were a lot older, as in an American Indian who lived along the river hundreds of years ago - a determination made by the experts in bones at Human Identification Lab.

"Those divers found a human bone, it just wasn't (Haleigh)," said Mike Warren, the lab's director.

The lab has been involved in high-profile criminal cases including those of Haleigh Cummings and Caylee Anthony.

Warren says he has memorized the dental structure of Tiffany Sessions, a University of Florida student who disappeared in 1989, so he can easily identify her should remains be found.

"We treat all of our cases as high-profile cases," Warren said. "They are still the remains of somebody who had family."

A human body has 206 bones - more or less in some cases - and Warren can identify all of them. So adept is Warren that he can pick out the most minute ear bone from the ashy remains of a cremated person.

The lab receives human remains that are skeletonized, decomposed or are burned or fragmented beyond recognition.

For three days in April, divers and deputies searched for remains of Haleigh off a boat ramp in the St. Johns River.

Most of what the divers found was easily identified, most notably a deer skeleton that was erroneously reported to be a human skeleton by some television media.

"We look at bones for thousands and thousands and thousands of hours. We know what every little piece of human bone looks like. If I can't recognize it, it's not human," Warren said. "A lot of it is an experience type of thing. There are some twists - if you don't smell any decomposition, you could put a flame under (a bone) and if you smell hair burning, that means there is collagen in the blood. In Florida, that takes about a year to leech out."

Warren said the lab was involved with earlier searches for Haleigh Cummings.

Sheriff's Lt. Johnny Greenwood said having the lab nearby is a big asset to law enforcement, saving local agencies time and money.

"They are very helpful to be able to identify bones very quickly to eliminate us from having to take the time to send them off to a lab," Greenwood said. "When they do respond to a scene, it expedites the search. You can rule out animal bones very quickly."

Just guessing here. Maybe it was not mentioned before because the bone was too large to be one of Haleigh's?

Haleigh Cummings: Bone found not hers

Theresa Collington June 21, 2010

"Snip" http://www.wtsp.com/news/state/story.aspx?storyid=134578&catid=19

PUTNAM COUNTY, Florida -- The bone is that of a long-dead Native American, according to the Putnam County Sheriff's Office. Investigators said the discovery is not that unusual, given the number of Native American burial grounds in Putnam County.

The determination was made by the Forensic Anthropology lab at the University of Florida, according to the Sheriff's Office.

At the time, Sheriff Jeff Hardy said Haleigh was likely dead, and the investigation had moved from a missing person case to a homicide investigation.

Misty Cummings, was seen at the river being questioned by investigators during their search.

Investigators said they got a tip that led them to the Shell Harbour Road Boat Ramp, a place they had not searched. Sources say tip came from Hank Croslin Jr.

Misty Cummings, Hank Croslin Jr. and Ronald Cummings, are all in jail on drug charges unrelated to the Haleigh case.

NewsJax has a story that includes Teresa and Annette speaking....but I don't know how to post the link.

They believe she is still alive.

SEE!!!! We all weren't nuts - LE DID FIND something at the boat dock. Now, I have to wonder what else they found there as well?

NewsJax has a story that includes Teresa and Annette speaking....but I don't know how to post the link.

Police: Bone Found In River Not Haleigh's
Putnam County Investigators Searched River In April For Missing Girl

UPDATED: Monday, June 21, 2010
"Snip" http://www.news4jax.com/news/23976333/detail.html

PUTNAM COUNTY, Fla. -- Investigators said a human bone that was found in the St. Johns River in April did not belong to Haleigh Cummings.

The bone is that of a long-dead Native American.

The determination was made by forensic anthropologist Mike.

Investigators searched the river for several days in April in connection with the Haleigh case. They said they found two cinder blocks, which were sent to a lab to be tested.

At the time, Sheriff Jeff Hardy said Haleigh was likely dead, and the investigation had moved from a missing person case to a homicide investigation. In a news release Monday, the Sheriff's Office said the case is still considered an active criminal investigation.

Haleigh's family said they never once believed the girl's body would be found in the river.

"She's out there somewhere alive," said Annette Sykes "Unless they can prove to me she's not, then this family is looking for a live little girl."

"Every day is about finding Haleigh," said Theresa Neves. "You get up in the morning and pray this is the day, and you go to bed each night and pray."

Neves said she told Haleigh's father, that the bone found by investigators was not Haleigh's.

"He's glad that everyone knows that the bones aren't Haleigh's," Neves said.

Very disappointing. I have to wonder if they'll go back to the 'source' of the information and go at them harder for giving false information. Or they may search other docking areas.

I bet. In that Cindy Anthony way right?

:waitasec: Is it just me or does this reaction not seem strange? TN said that Ronald said, "He's glad that everyone knows that the bones aren't Haleigh's,". I would of expected a grieving father to say, thank God they are not of Haleigh or something to that effect. Instead all he cares to say is " Glad the Public Knows they are not her bones" Not that he is glad that it was not her bone? :waitasec: Odd, Maybe it is just me.

(BBM)

Police: Bone Found In River Not Haleigh's
Putnam County Investigators Searched River In April For Missing Girl

UPDATED: Monday, June 21, 2010
"Snip" http://www.news4jax.com/news/23976333/detail.html

At the time, Sheriff Jeff Hardy said Haleigh was likely dead, and the investigation had moved from a missing person case to a homicide investigation. In a news release Monday, the Sheriff's Office said the case is still considered an active criminal investigation. (At the time? So, now what? I have not read any news release from LE. Active criminal or Homicide? That is what I would like to know. Did they find anything of significance at the river I wonder?)

Haleigh's family said they never once believed the girl's body would be found in the river.

"She's out there somewhere alive," said Annette Sykes "Unless they can prove to me she's not, then this family is looking for a live little girl." (Where are they looking? I have not heard anyone make any plea for Haleigh.)"Every day is about finding Haleigh," said Theresa Neves. "You get up in the morning and pray this is the day, and you go to bed each night and pray."

Neves said she told Haleigh's father, that the bone found by investigators was not Haleigh's.

"He's glad that everyone knows that the bones aren't Haleigh's," Neves said. (He is glad that everyone knows, not glad that the bones are not Haleigh's?)

PCSO responds:

soffice1277160760350.jpg

LINK:

http://www.pcso.us/2010-6-21-a

Did any of you see the video of Teresa and Annette? I was trying to link to the video, but when I went back all I could find was the link you all have. It was at Annette's house I think. Wonder if they will put it back up in the archives or not?

Did any of you see the video of Teresa and Annette? I was trying to link to the video, but when I went back all I could find was the link you all have. It was at Annette's house I think. Wonder if they will put it back up in the archives or not?

The video isn't online yet. It was on the 6pm news, I believe. It should be online shortly. :)

OK....the bone didn't belong to her. Fine.
Did they find ANYTHING related to her? Is it still a homicide investigation? Will Misty and Tommy be charged for giving false information? With all the alligators in that river, did they really think they'd find something?

Really, these questions have no answers. I'm thinking out loud. No need to quote me and answer my questions since we know there won't be any answers for awhile. I'm just gonna sit in my corner rocking back and forth. :crazy:

SOMETHING has to give. SOMEONE has to do something!

This was reported today. I am not sure how to link as it's on all the local news. This doesn't surprise me as I still think that she's buried close to where RC or TN resided.

I agree. When RC excused himself and said he went out to visit with HaLeigh I would not be surprised if he went to visit her grave in the forest somewhere. I think she is respectfully buried.

:waitasec: Is it just me or does this reaction not seem strange? TN said that Ronald said, "He's glad that everyone knows that the bones aren't Haleigh's,". I would of expected a grieving father to say, thank God they are not of Haleigh or something to that effect. Instead all he cares to say is " Glad the Public Knows they are not her bones" Not that he is glad that it was not her bone? :waitasec: Odd, Maybe it is just me.
(BBM)

MADJGNLAW...BBM Red.. I can assure you it's not just you... It all boils down to nothing but a whole lot of contrived carpola...IMHO.. From LE as well as Ron C, his mother, and his grandmother.... JMO

:waitasec: Is it just me or does this reaction not seem strange? TN said that Ronald said, "He's glad that everyone knows that the bones aren't Haleigh's,". I would of expected a grieving father to say, thank God they are not of Haleigh or something to that effect. Instead all he cares to say is " Glad the Public Knows they are not her bones" Not that he is glad that it was not her bone? :waitasec: Odd, Maybe it is just me.(BBM)

BBM. Sounds to me like a "So there!" remark (hands on hips, raspberries ;)). "They're not HaLeigh's bones. It's not HaLeigh. I don't know nothin'. I was at werk."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back