Cases where parents of missing children have remained quiet

Razzle

Reaction score
Can someone name some missing child cases where the family has stayed away from the media and public eye the way the Hormans have? It would really help me to get a better understanding of WHY they are being so quiet. Thanks!

Well, there's Gebar Byrd's case (Missing 4/27/10).
We tried to get a comment from Byrd to ask him about his missing son and the efforts to find the little boy. A family member told us he didn't want to talk about his son. http://www.kmov.com/community/blogs/...-91132789.html

"Gebar Byrd, Sr., has been cooperating with us. He's answered questions at every turn we've asked. Anything we've asked him to do he's done," Ransom said.
http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=200433

Then, a few weeks later: "Police say Byrd Senior pushed both the victims through mud, branches and logs until they did not re-surface. The boys body has never been recovered. The body of his mother was found April 9th and identified a week later.
http://www.kmox.com/pages/7340839.php?

The only reason I can think of that every single member of the family has been quiet is on advice of LE. There are so many agencies involved, including the FBI, and I feel that if LE thought public appeals might be helpful, there'd be at least one of them willing to put themselves out there practically nonstop.

Leads me to believe that LE has asked them all not to speak for some reason. This, in turn, leads me to believe that any appearances or statements (and content thereof) by the family have been at the direction of LE, and for a specific reason.

I'm just curious if anyone has ever heard the voices of either of mothers? ...and if so...when and how would you describe the voice?

iirc Kyron's mom wanted to speak early on but I don't remember the reason she didn't.

iirc Kyron's mom wanted to speak early on but I don't remember the reason she didn't.

I have to think there's reason for them to believe it may hurt more than help; otherwise, can't imagine that the parents or step-parents or extended family wouldn't be popping at the seams to keep Kyron front and center in the media at every opportunity.

The only reason I can think of that every single member of the family has been quiet is on advice of LE. There are so many agencies involved, including the FBI, and I feel that if LE thought public appeals might be helpful, there'd be at least one of them willing to put themselves out there practically nonstop.

Leads me to believe that LE has asked them all not to speak for some reason. This, in turn, leads me to believe that any appearances or statements (and content thereof) by the family have been at the direction of LE, and for a specific reason.

And, if any of them have "lawyered up", it hasn't been made public.

I'm sure there must be very many cases where the parents were quiet. Just look at all the missing person threads in the missing forums. They're not all minors but they're someone's children anyway. There's not enough media time to go around for all of them and some cases get lots of activity while some barely get a mention.

I'm sure there must be very many cases where the parents were quiet. Just look at all the missing person threads in the missing forums. They're not all minors but they're someone's children anyway. There's not enough media time to go around for all of them and some cases get lots of activity while some barely get a mention.

I have seen very few where the family of a missing person has remained quiet. I've never seen one resolved where the parent/parents have remained quiet and it has turned out a family member was not involved. Now, there are some that are not resolved, so we don't know who was involved.

Right, I guess I should clarify and say a case with this much media attention. I am trying to understand the reasons that a family would remain quiet, other than the obvious.

Yeah but the thing is, if the parents are quiet and LE doesn't choose to utilize the media in their investigation the chances are we might not see the cases. There are plenty of cases who have never been on Nancy Grace, never been on JVM, never been on the front page of the local newspaper, let alone on the pages of any national ones. We see more of the cases in which the parents are vocal because there is usually more to report.

I guess my point is that our sample is biased and the cases in which the parents make themselves heard are more likely to be heard of.

Yeah but the thing is, if the parents are quiet and LE doesn't choose to utilize the media in their investigation the chances are we might not see the cases. There are plenty of cases who have never been on Nancy Grace, never been on JVM, never been on the front page of the local newspaper, let alone on the pages of any national ones. We see more of the cases in which the parents are vocal because there is usually more to report.

I guess my point is that our sample is biased and the cases in which the parents make themselves heard are more likely to be heard of.

That is good food for thought. Thanks.

We also have to consider parents that did plead for their childrens return and turned out to have committed the crime. Susan Smith comes to mind.

We also have to consider parents that did plead for their childrens return and turned out to have committed the crime. Susan Smith comes to mind.

Yep. I totally agree. You can never expect people to react perfectly in these situations. My mind instantly leaps to 'She is GUILTY!!!!' because they aren't speaking out, but I really don't feel like that is a fair assumption. I would rather assume innocence and be wrong than the other way around...

Can someone name some missing child cases where the family has stayed away from the media and public eye the way the Hormans have? It would really help me to get a better understanding of WHY they are being so quiet. Thanks!

I don't know because if they remained silent we may have never heard about their child being missing. If the media doesn't pick it up it gets no air time.

I did hear John Walsh say that he has met hundreds of parents who had a child missing and not all of them will come out and speak to the press. I imagine that is why they contacted John so he can be a voice for them.

IMO

I'm just curious if anyone has ever heard the voices of either of mothers? ...and if so...when and how would you describe the voice?

No, neither one of them have spoken out publicly.

IMO

We rarely hear of a missing child from the parents first. Usually the report comes from the media, who keep a watch on police reports or are contacted by LE to get the information out there. Also, all missing children under the age of 18 are required to be reported to NCIC. The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children reports all cases of missing children under the age of 13. They have an automated system to notify the media in the area where the child went missing.
I don't think there are many, if any, mysterious missing child cases (of children under 13) that we don't hear about. That is a huge, huge news story. Now, the ones where a parent without custody takes a child might not make the news unless the parent is extremely dangerous or something. But if a child under 13 goes missing with no explanation? We hear about it.
And if their parents refuse to talk about it, we get suspicious.

not sure but I can add my personal perspective in that I don't think I would
we are a very private family and I would probably be too devastated to even be able to speak coherently
if anything, I would probably ask someone to speak on behalf of the family with a prepared statement, like Kyron's dad(s) have

of course, the caveat is I've never been in that situation ...

however, how this family is coping with media exposure has no bearing on my suspicions in the case; they remain firmly planted in one direction only

Kind of OT, but last night I watched a crime show on ID channel, "Solved" I think it was, with a case of a 20-yr old who went missing in NYC and her father was so determined to try to find her, he ripped 50-dollar bills in half and handed them out all over the city, promising the other half to anyone who could give any info at all. That was just one thing he did, of many, to try to get information, he was so frantic.

Sadly, she had been taken by a group of 4 thugs who knew she had a rich dad, they wanted to get money in exchange for her, but were too stupid to be able to leave a message on is answering machine correctly, so after three days of leaving her tied to a chair in the basement of an abandoned house, they set on her fire and burned her to death.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back