Publicity Stunt or Reward-splitting alternative?

Psychout

Reaction score
Hi! Longtime lurker, first-time poster.

Like many here, I have been following Kyron's missing person's case closely in the media for the past two weeks, and have my own suspicions of who is involved.

That said, I've been trying to come up with an alternative perspective of what could have happened, and wanted to start this thread to see if this thought has crossed anyone's mind. If this is inappropriate, or should be placed in another thread, I apologize.

Has the thought crossed anyone else's mind that this case could possibly be a publicity or reward-splitting stunt, re: Balloon Boy or Shannon Matthews? The reason I ask this is because of all the strange "coincidences" in this case and that LE has stated this is an "isolated" incident, yet there has been no reported evidence of a crime. It would also explain the (subjective) apathy of some of the people close to the case, the irony of the CSI shirt, and why the entire case sounds like something out of a television drama.

For anyone unfamiliar with the Shannon Matthews case, Shannon Matthews was a 9-year-old girl reported missing after being dropped off in front of her school in Britain. Her disappearance launched one of the largest missing person's investigations in the country and took place shortly after the disappearance of Madeleine McCann. In the end it turns out that the girl's mother had handed her off to a man (and perv) related to her boyfriend, under agreement that they would split the reward money. The 9-year-old girl was found ALIVE less than a month later, and in close proximity to where she was reported missing.

Media source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/shannon-matthews-kidnap

Any thoughts?

Interesting topic, Psychout! Way to go with the first post being a thought-provoking thread! :woohoo:

Welcome to WS!!

In order to get this thread to stand on it's own without it being just rumor or speculation, posters will have to make a case specific to Kyron's known circumstances and link info, KWIM?

I like the idea-the main reason I like it is because it would mean Kyron is still alive.

Hi! Longtime lurker, first-time poster.

Like many here, I have been following Kyron's missing person's case closely in the media for the past two weeks, and have my own suspicions of who is involved.

That said, I've been trying to come up with an alternative perspective of what could have happened, and wanted to start this thread to see if this thought has crossed anyone's mind. If this is inappropriate, or should be placed in another thread, I apologize.

Has the thought crossed anyone else's mind that this case could possibly be a publicity or reward-splitting stunt, re: Balloon Boy or Shannon Matthews? The reason I ask this is because of all the strange "coincidences" in this case and that LE has stated this is an "isolated" incident, yet there has been no reported evidence of a crime. It would also explain the (subjective) apathy of some of the people close to the case, the irony of the CSI shirt, and why the entire case sounds like something out of a television drama.

For anyone unfamiliar with the Shannon Matthews case, Shannon Matthews was a 9-year-old girl reported missing after being dropped off in front of her school in Britain. Her disappearance launched one of the largest missing person's investigations in the country and took place shortly after the disappearance of Madeleine McCann. In the end it turns out that the girl's mother had handed her off to a man (and perv) related to her boyfriend, under agreement that they would split the reward money. The 9-year-old girl was found ALIVE less than a month later, and in close proximity to where she was reported missing.

Media source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/shannon-matthews-kidnap

Any thoughts?
Hello, Psychout! Today is my first day posting to Websleuths as well. Instead of answering your questions, I will employ the Socratic method and ask you what do you see/think that make you believe that Kyron's disappearance may be all a publicity stunt?

I will admit that I'm not familiar with the British story of Shannon but I believe that the Balloon Boy story was deemed fabricated within days (not weeks) of his supposed disappearance. I believe (feel free to correct me) that based on the words that were coming from his siblings, plus himself and his "sickness/vomiting" that within mere days, the authorities were able to conclusively put together that the boy was never on that weather balloon at all.

Are there things with this particular case that are making you think that this is not just a missing child story but instead, an elaborate hoax to fool the media, the public and the police into believing a 7 year old has gone missing in Portland, Oregon?

Psychout & Dmansmom

Smiley02.gif

It also crossed my mind that it's an attention getting thing like Munchhausen by Proxy Syndrome. Instead of making the child sick someone fabricates a story to garner attention. The plan could backfire if they are being watched too closely and they can't deliver food and water.

I tried that theory on for size the day Kyron went missing (among many other theories that passed through my head), but I couldn't get that one to work for me.

Welcome Psychout. Your first post to start this thread is a winner posing an interesting question. Have I considered this a staged Publicity Stunt?

Yes, the CSI tee shirt begged me to consider stunt. The lack of info from LE could point to that if they're on to it.

However, the feeling from what can be gathered and said seems to point to Kyron being gone for real. Hardly any pleas for his return have been on the news.

Boy oh boy, it better not be a stunt because of all the anguish and money spent on searches, but at least Kyron would be found alive.

If you have followed PNWSAR, I doubt very much that this is some type of hoax. The searchers have searched very dangerous terrain.

http://www.pnwsar.org/searches
Ruby, If this were to be a hoax (speculation) than that means that people were fooled so would search like they normally search jmhoo

******not that I think it is a hoax at this point but it certainly is an interesting case in point that you mentioned in England Psychout... and until Balloon Boy I never would have thought such a hoax possible**********************

welcome to websleuths psychout

I need to go look at the cellphone ping thread again to see if it's been confirmed the SM had pings from that Island.But,when an LE officer stated the brother's arrest is part of the investigation and they do have cellphone records,makes me wonder.There are parks and areas on that Island to meet and at that time of the morning less people to witness anything.

Well, since this story first broke, I have held basically the same view as many of the theories I have seen here, assuming that someone close to Kyron, most likely the SM did something to him or had an accident and disposed of the body. That said it has crossed my mind a few times that it could be a hoax for a few reasons:

1. Police have stated this is an "isolated incident" and encouraged the public to go about their same routines. They did not close the school on the Monday following the incident. If this was a stranger abduction or a sex-offender in the area, similar to a case like Somer Thompson, it seems out of place for the Law Enforcement to be so calm, even while still in search for Kyron. Source: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/kyron_hormans_disappearance_be.html

2. The widely publicized photo of Kyron in the CSI shirt, and the fact that it has been stated that the SM is a fan of CSI and Dexter (both great shows which I personally love, but also shows that revolve around conspiracies). It's rare enough for a 7-year-old to wear a t-shirt of a crime scene investigation show but what are the chances that the boy in the CSI shirt goes missing?

3. The reported polygraph of the SM, and review of her cell phone records, the search on Sauvie but no body has been found, no reported evidence of any crime in the truck- COULD indicate a hand-off.
Source:http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/21/earlyshow/main6603116.shtml

4. The lack of witnesses. If this was a stranger or unfamiliar face, it is highly likely they would have been noted at a small school event held early in the morning by someone. If it was a person specifically targeting Kyron they would have needed to know that there would be a 15 minute time-frame that morning in which the SM would not be with him, because otherwise to go to a parent-student attended event is extremely risky since most parents of small children walk them to the classroom or leave them with a teacher.

5. Lack of motive, since custody does not seem to be much of an issue in the case. But money is always an easy motive.

6. Like everyone else, I want Kyron to be found alive and as unlikely as this idea may be, it gives me hope.

HLN is covering this case right now. They're discussing if the photo of Kyron was photoshopped. I guess later on JVM they might cover the man in the background.

It also crossed my mind that it's an attention getting thing like Munchhausen by Proxy Syndrome. Instead of making the child sick someone fabricates a story to garner attention. The plan could backfire if they are being watched too closely and they can't deliver food and water.

Other than the Balloon Boy hoax, created in hopes of getting their own TV show, I can't think of a single other example.

"True that" to everything you said Psychout,by the way,I like your nic. :) Reminds me of...me.
Two of my main points on believing this is not a stranger abduction is LE saying it's an isolated incident and Monday the kids were right back in school.

Deeemdee
The balloon boy incident was not just about a tv show,the father wanted to prove himself.Money and offers pour in and the father is egotistical,wanted attention for years.

Well, the experts on tv sound as bewildered as I am by not being able to figure out anything either. LE has really done a good job keeping info private for now. If they suspected a stunt wouldn't they know by now?

Other than the Balloon Boy hoax, created in hopes of getting their own TV show, I can't think of a single other example.
after balloon boy one of the msm outlets had a little slide show of other famous hoaxes (wish I would find it for you) but trust me... there are plenty of them!

Well, the experts on tv sound as bewildered as I am by not being able to figure out anything either. LE has really done a good job keeping info private for now. If they suspected a stunt wouldn't they know by now?

and wouldn't they lean on the "hoaxers" in order to find the child? Yeah, that is where I get hung up on that theory... unless LE has no clue of a possible hoax in progress....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back