GUILTY PA - Kevin Mengel, 33, murdered, West Goshen, 17 June 2010

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
Kevin Mengel, Jr. aged 33 was reported missing by his mother last week.

Mengel's wife and mother of his three children said he simply ditched them. Well, Morgan Mengel and her lover Stephen Shappell are being charged with homocide. Police with cadaver dogs unearthed Mengel's body and he died from blunt force trauma.

Shappell aged 21 is missing while his "girlfriend" is locked up. He was Kevin Mengel's employee who was having an affair with Mrs. Morgan Mengel. Nothing right about murdering your boss while sleeping with his wife.

It appears the Mengel's had been involved in bitter custody disputes since 2004 when Morgan Mengel filed for divorce. She later withdrew that decree. Shappell is in Mengel's 2001 Ford Quad. PA plates. YSB-9330.

How sad. Now who will take care of these poor kids? That worked out real well.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/pa/20100627_Wife_and_lover_charged_in_husband_s_death.html

Morgan Mengel said they both poisoned her husband and Shapell hit him with a shovel. They spelled Shapell's name different here.

http://thebeatofphilly.com/tristate...wife-confesses-to-killing-husband-with-lover/

Steve Shappell was nabbed by Denver police 1,700 miles away from home.

He'd been on the lam for two days.

That's pretty wild because on the 17th his friend posted on his Facebook he was living in the Denver area. Kevin Mengel was murdered on the 17th. I wonder if LE took note of that and was looking for him in Denver because of that?

When returned here Shappell faces homocide and related charges.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/97286324.html

The cool thing, if there is one, about this case is that the victim's mother is the one who got the ball rolling and kept pestering the police about fishy Facebook postings and odd emails. She figured out about the affair and big checks being written on the company account. She knew her son wouldn't leave his kids and cut off all contact.

Sounds like she may be one of us!

THis is so bizarre. I work in West Goshen, and a relative works for the high school behind which he was buried. This story just blows my mind.

Thank God there at least was justice and so quickly.

No death penalty as probably no special circumstances in this case. What slimeballs..

May Kevin R.I.P., so sad.

Goz

Just saw this on NG tonight...and all I can say is "You can't make this $*advertiser censored* up!" and my heart goes out to the victim's parents. Unbelievable.

Thanks Filly for starting this thread. This area is my old stomping grounds.

Well I can't imagine they won't be retried and found guilty. This is just a technicality. I had to snicker though at the father calling his daughter despicable - sounds like she is! I'm from California (originally) and in my law classes in college, I remember learning that the prosecution can't bring into the trial anything about the defendant's character UNLESS the defense opens that up first - then it's a free for all. Even though the judge didn't say that in this article, I wonder that plays into it too in PA.

On another note, I clicked on one of the earlier links that had their Facebook accounts, and the guy's account is still active AND he posted pictures in December where he is obviously in a jail visitors room using the phone. Hysterical! If I would have known nothing about him and just saw it, I'd know he was in jail. Loser.

Just saw this on NG tonight...and all I can say is "You can't make this $*advertiser censored* up!" and my heart goes out to the victim's parents. Unbelievable.

Thanks Filly for starting this thread. This area is my old stomping grounds.

No problem, hollyblue. It's too sad, right? Prayers for the victims family.

From February 2013:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Pa-Man-Sentenced-in-Love-Triangle-Murder-190789321.html

A Philadelphia man was sentenced to 40-80 years in prison in the murder of the husband of a woman with whom he was having an affair.

Stephen Shappell, 24, pleaded guilty to third-degree murder in Chester County Court in the June 2010 death of Kevin Mengel.

From December 2013:

http://www.dailylocal.com/general-news/20131230/wife-and-lover-sentenced-in-murder

The sad, salacious and sensational murder case involving Morgan Marie Mengel, a West Goshen wife and mother of three, came to a close in 2013.

In February, just as Mengel’s retrial on first-degree murder and conspiracy charges was set to begin, Mengel pleaded guilty to engineering her husband’s death at the hands of her younger lover so she would not have to go through a divorce.

The 38-year-old was sentenced to life in prison without parole plus 20 years, and now lives in a state prison cell.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back