Terri Horman retains criminal defense attorney!

pufnstuf

"Yes, she's emotionally disturbed. She's unbalance
Reaction score
Terri Moulton Horman has retained prominent Portland criminal defense attorney Stephen Houze as investigators continue to focus on her in the nearly month-long disappearance of her step son, Kyron.

Horman, who has been in seclusion at her Northwest Portland home since her husband Kaine Horman moved out with the couple's 19-month old daughter, slipped past the crowd of television and print at the foot of the driveway Wednesday. She returned home around 5:30 p.m. in a silver Volvo sedan with Houze, who got out to open the gate. The gate across the gravel driveway was closed for the first time.

Houze declined to answer questions, saying only that the drive was "private property." Houze left about an hour later.

MORE! http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/terri_moulton_horman_retains_p.html

Stephen Houze, prominent Portland criminal defense attorney,
opens the gate to the Horman property in rural Northwest Portland.
Click image (from Oregonian) to enlarge.

Wow-finally. Maybe that is the news all of the reporters were waiting for. And may indeed be a PC of some kind tomorrow.

i'm surprised she waited until today to get an attorney but at least she has one now.

It's about time.
It got pretty real for her yesterday.
Parents with her, counseling her...
Maybe she's ready to talk.
We can hope.

I like to think Kaine would not have filed for divorce - forcing her to seek counsel (any kind of counsel) - if LE hadn't been ready for Terri to lawyer up...

It's interesting it's a criminal defense attorney and not a divorce/family law attorney - given she hasn't been named a POI or suspect.

Terri Moulton Horman has retained prominent Portland criminal defense attorney Stephen Houze as investigators continue to focus on her in the nearly month-long disappearance of her step son, Kyron.

Horman, who has been in seclusion at her Northwest Portland home since her husband Kaine Horman moved out with the couple's 19-month old daughter, slipped past the crowd of television and print at the foot of the driveway Wednesday. She returned home around 5:30 p.m. in a silver Volvo sedan with Houze, who got out to open the gate. The gate across the gravel driveway was closed for the first time.

Houze declined to answer questions, saying only that the drive was "private property." Houze left about an hour later.

MORE! http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/terri_moulton_horman_retains_p.html

Stephen Houze, prominent Portland criminal defense attorney,
opens the gate to the Horman property in rural Northwest Portland.
Click image (from Oregonian) to enlarge.

This is a pretty cool picture.

LOL.
It seems Terri slipped out today unseen by press, apparently. :) They didn't figure it out until she drove back in with her new lawyer. Wonder who's car that is?

Reminds me of the Anthony media subterfuge. They even had a fake Casey for the press to photograph - while Casey slipped in and out in disguise through different exits ... remember? :yes:

It's interesting it's a criminal defense attorney and not a divorce/family law attorney - given she hasn't been named a POI or suspect.

Very interesting. I don't think this has to do with custody.

Wowza.

They don't come any more pre-eminent or more highly rated than Houzer's rating.

http://www.martindale.com/Results.aspx

Name: Stephen Houze
Peer Review Rated
Client Review Rated
Job Title: Member
Organization: Stephen Houze
Practice Areas: Criminal Defense
Office: Portland, Oregon (Clackamas Multnomah Washington Cos.)
Peer Review Rating: AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5

(Highest peer review rating possible.)

(so much for not being able to afford the very best...) ;)

I kept pondering why she didn't already have one... either she is bold thinking she didn't need one, or clueless to how bad off the situation is.

If she slipped past reporters earlier, then came back with her attorney, I wonder where her car is and why she didn't drive it home.

Who is Stephen Houze?

His website: http://www.shouze.com/display-cases.asp?artID=2

Other articles and stuff:

http://trueattrue.blogspot.com/2010/03/attorney-steve-houze-vs-debra-hennessee.html

And this article is a must-read:

“I think Steve Houze is probably the best criminal-defense attorney in the history of this state,” says attorney Donald Bourgeois, who worked with him at the Metropolitan Public Defenders’ office in the 1970s.

It is an opinion shared, in only slightly less absolute terms, by the dozen Portland area prosecutors and defense attorneys contacted by the Tribune.

Terese “Terry” Gustafson, the former Clackamas County district attorney in whose disbarment proceedings Houze was a key prosecution witness, would not talk about him. Houze himself also declined to be interviewed, citing personal and professional privacy concerns.

“He’s reached the point in his career where he can pick and choose the cases he takes,” said Michael Regan, a Clackamas County deputy district attorney. Regan says he once dismissed a child-rape case against a Portland police officer in the middle of trial because of evidence Houze had found through “dogged determination and preparation.”

“Steve finds statements and witnesses and versions of events that detectives don’t always uncover,” said Regan, who worked for Gustafson during her protracted battle with Houze and the Oregon State Bar before she was disbarred in March 2002. “He gets a whole other side of the story. You end up looking like your investigation wasn’t as thorough. I’ve learned how to be a better prosecutor from watching him.”

But, Regan said, preparation is not the sole secret of Houze’s success.

“He’s very adept at PR,” Regan said. “He never overhypes a defense or grandstands, but the minute he steps in front of a microphone, he’s very much aware that he’s presenting a defense.

MUCH MORE: http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=17983

Unlike famous and flamboyant criminal attorneys such as Gerry Spence or Johnnie Cochran, Houze is publicity shy. He doesn't talk to reporters about himself. He wouldn't talk to The Oregonian for this story, other than to fill in a few pieces of his biography.

Exactly what drives Houze is difficult to know. But friends say, though he makes a good living and drives a Porsche, his motivation has never been financial gain. On occasion, they say, he has been known to reduce his fee -- or perhaps waive it -- for criminal defendants he feels a responsibility to help. But he tries to keep these acts private, not wanting to flaunt good deeds or swamp his own office with the accused.
http://www.shouze.com/display-cases.asp?artID=2

emma is greatly relieved that Houzer is no Baez.

From the article:
Earlier in the day, Cook drove up in a blue pickup truck laden with supplies for Terri Horman and her family and friends.
I wonder how many friends are staying at the house with her? Anyone know when LE stopped staying at their house (save bedtime)?

Guess who's being named a 'person of interest' at tomorrows press conference!

this is probably good for Kyron, frankly. good for everyone.

Can someone give me a quick sentence again about how this makes it better that she has an attorney in regards to LE's stance? I have read so much now I am blank.TIA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back