Boaters told to be alert for sharks off Northeast

Here's another article about the warning; Link

The Coast Guard is also reminding recreational boaters to be safe on the water by following these important tips:

* Always wear a Coast Guard-approved life jacket, especially on children and weak swimmers;
* Be aware of weather and water conditions;
* Never boat or paddle alone – file a float plan to let others know where you are going;
* Be cautious – do not exceed your ability to handle your vessel;
* Know that alcohol and drugs contribute to accidents and,
* Be constantly aware of other vessels in the immediate area.
* Carry a marine VHF radio

[video=youtube;5nrvMNf-HEg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nrvMNf-HEg[/video]

Not a warning for the Northeast, but I just wanted to add that here along the Gulf Coast there have been reports that sharks, along with other marine life, have been swimming close to shore to get away from the oil spill. So if you go into the water, just be careful. Careful of the oil, and careful of the marine life that the oil is driving in.

Here's some footage of great white attacks on seals. Great Whites are huge, scary and powerful animals, but they are also beautiful and move with an athletic grace.

[video=youtube;5ZPhQewYf3c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZPhQewYf3c&feature=related[/video]

This is cool;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8GaDuCvYbE&feature=related

Anybody still going boating this weekend now? :waitasec:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa7ck5mcd1o

WARNING BAD WORD INCLUDED;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBizgLZX7W0&feature=related

I am obsessed with sharks for some reason. I fear them, but am also in awe of them.

The shark that inspired Jaws was also in New England, just FYI, lol. :crazy: (True story.)

i thought that Jaws was inspired by the one that was off the coast of NJ i forget what year.....maybe its a combo of them both

i thought that Jaws was inspired by the one that was off the coast of NJ i forget what year.....maybe its a combo of them both

Isn't NJ part of New England? Shows what I know, lol! Well the warning is for the NE, and NJ is in the NE, anyways! (And yes, it was the shark in Mattawan, NJ, in the early 20th century.)

Isn't NJ part of New England? Shows what I know, lol! Well the warning is for the NE, and NJ is in the NE, anyways! (And yes, it was the shark in Mattawan, NJ, in the early 20th century.)

:nono:

Link

New England is a region of the United States located in the northeastern corner of the country, bordered by the Atlantic Ocean, Canada and the state of New York, consisting of the modern states of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut

Don't feel bad I had to look them up. :crazy:

Link

In the summer of 1916, New Jersey experienced a heatwave of unusually high temperatures. This was before the time of air conditioners and people flocked to the Jersey shore in large numbers for relief from the
sweltering weather. The temperature was not the only unusual occurrence that summer: During the course of twelve horrifying days, unbeknownst to the unsuspecting citizens of New Jersey, there would be a series of brutal shark attacks that would leave four dead and one severely injured.

Eeeek!! I used to spend my summers on the Jersey Shore. My grandparents had a house on Long Beach Island. I've lived in Florida for most of my life, and I'm used to the crystal clear, calm, warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico. My parents would ship me off to my grandparent's beach house in New Jersey every summer and I would refuse to go swimming in that rough, COLD, murky Atlantic because I was afraid I would not be able to see a shark coming up to bite my butt, legs or entire bottom half off! My cousins would always tease me and do the JAWS music - you know - "dun, dun, dun, dun, da Da DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" whenever I would even dip my toe into that frigid water! Otherwise, I loved the Jersey shore - great memories!

:nono:

Link

New England is a region of the United States located in the northeastern corner of the country, bordered by the Atlantic Ocean, Canada and the state of New York, consisting of the modern states of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut

Don't feel bad I had to look them up. :crazy:

Link

In the summer of 1916, New Jersey experienced a heatwave of unusually high temperatures. This was before the time of air conditioners and people flocked to the Jersey shore in large numbers for relief from the
sweltering weather. The temperature was not the only unusual occurrence that summer: During the course of twelve horrifying days, unbeknownst to the unsuspecting citizens of New Jersey, there would be a series of brutal shark attacks that would leave four dead and one severely injured.

When I said NJ was in the NE, I mean Northeast, not New England, in this particular post, lol.

There has already been one shark bite in the area this weekend:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100704/ap_on_re_us/us_shark_bites_man

My brother and I were swimming at the beach in Destin, FL last summer when we heard shouting and looked towards shore to see dozens of people shouting and waving at us. A young man had also swam out to get our attention. We were surrounded by 3 large bull sharks and were oblivious, even though the water was crystal clear. We had been floating on our boogie boards. There weren't many people in the water because of jelly fish. I had been keeping an eye out for the jelly fish, but didn't see the sharks. We weren't far from shore at all. Evidently, the sharks were just 3 or 4 feet from us and closing in. I have never swam so fast in my life to get the heck out of the water...sheer terror! It was a scene from Jaws...LOL We were very lucky.

My brother and I were swimming at the beach in Destin, FL last summer when we heard shouting and looked towards shore to see dozens of people shouting and waving at us. A young man had also swam out to get our attention. We were surrounded by 3 large bull sharks and were oblivious, even though the water was crystal clear. We had been floating on our boogie boards. There weren't many people in the water because of jelly fish. I had been keeping an eye out for the jelly fish, but didn't see the sharks. We weren't far from shore at all. Evidently, the sharks were just 3 or 4 feet from us and closing in. I have never swam so fast in my life to get the heck out of the water...sheer terror! It was a scene from Jaws...LOL We were very lucky.

Oh my heavens!!!!!! Bull sharks are among the "Big 3" as far as attacks on humans and fatalities go, some even call them more dangerous than Great Whites! Praise the Lord you made it to the beach without any of them attacking! :eek:

(The Big 3 are Great Whites, Tiger sharks, and Bull sharks.)

The beach we were swimming at didn't have lifeguards. The young man who swam out to warn us was very brave and we were grateful. He said the sharks were large - 7 or 8 footers. One had gotten within a couple of feet away from him the day before. We thought it strange that hardly anyone was in the water that day, but thought it was because of the signs warning of jelly fish. When we got out of the water, everyone told us of all the sharks that had been there the day before. We weren't in deep water at all. It only came up to my waist. We went to a different beach the next day that had a lot of people in the water and lifeguards. I made myself go in the water to get over my fear, but I didn't stay in it very long.

The beach we were swimming at didn't have lifeguards. The young man who swam out to warn us was very brave and we were grateful. He said the sharks were large - 7 or 8 footers. One had gotten within a couple of feet away from him the day before. We thought it strange that hardly anyone was in the water that day, but thought it was because of the signs warning of jelly fish. When we got out of the water, everyone told us of all the sharks that had been there the day before. We weren't in deep water at all. It only came up to my waist. We went to a different beach the next day that had a lot of people in the water and lifeguards. I made myself go in the water to get over my fear, but I didn't stay in it very long.

Yes, that man was VERY brave to do that!!!!! I hope you gave him a kiss, lol!

And Bull sharks are well known to inhabit shallow water like that, which makes them far more likely to make contact with humans. They also will swim in fresh water rivers and streams, the only shark to do so.

The secret to surviving getting out alive is to make sure you are next to someone you can easily outrun back to shore. :thumb:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back