The cost of searching for Kyron

Wendy101

Reaction score
OT .. don't know what happen to the Q &A thread so...

Is it normal for the LE to tell the public how much they have spent so far in cases like this???

Ihave no clue, I know Haleigh C case , this subject did not come up??

Is it normal for the LE to tell the public how much they have spent so far in cases like this???

I wondered about this too. I was on the Press Conference thread from today and the money thing came up right away. Very strange to preface with accounting. I haven't heard of a case where LE mentioned how much money was spent on a search operation for a missing child. Makes me wonder if they are trying to make someone fess up based on guilt on how big this operation has become and possible charges involving fraud. JMO

Why would LE announce how much the case has cost so far in the search for Kyron?

It's in this transcript:
Kyron Horman investigation: Transcript of interview with Sheriff Dan Staton

Jung: "Well, I guess if we could first start by talking about the scope of the investigation. If you can give us an idea of how many people and what kind of resources you have dedicated to this effort and what kind of cost that is?"

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/kyron_horman_investigation_tra.html

The State of Oregon's budget is in the toilet right now and is the lead story in my local paper (the state capital) most days. Here's what the Oregonian has to say about it:

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2010/06/gov_ted_kulongoski_says_recess.html

The lack of state money will certainly trickle down to the county-level. It seems like a heartless and cruel thing to bring up in a child disappearance, but the state budget is on everyone's minds right now. Personally there's a longshot that I could lose my government job, but I certainly am not worrying about the cost of bringing Kyron home.

Oregonians seem a bit obsessed with the cost of law enforcement (especially search-and-rescue), however. Every time someone gets stuck on Mt. Hood, people complain about the cost of rescuing them, even when people die. :(

The State of Oregon's budget is in the toilet right now and is the lead story in my local paper (the state capital) most days. Here's what the Oregonian has to say about it:

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2010/06/gov_ted_kulongoski_says_recess.html

The lack of state money will certainly trickle down to the county-level. It seems like a heartless and cruel thing to bring up in a child disappearance, but the state budget is on everyone's minds right now. Personally there's a longshot that I could lose my government job, but I certainly am not worrying about the cost of bringing Kyron home.

Oregonians seem a bit obsessed with the cost of law enforcement, however. Every time someone gets stuck on Mt. Hood, people complain about the cost of rescuing them, even when people die. :(

When I was working in Lane County, the alarm company who serviced the building was shocked to hear that the sheriffs would not come to a business when the alarm went off. I called to ask if it was true and they confirmed. They said that most of the time there were only two units assigned to a shift due to budget cuts. :eek: Lane County is HUGE! They said they would respond if they were told the owner of the property or the burglars were armed.

Such is the cost to our public safety in some parts of Oregon!!!

Oregonians seem a bit obsessed with the cost of law enforcement, however. Every time someone gets stuck on Mt. Hood, people complain about the cost of rescuing them, even when people die. :(

California is in the toilet as well. We (I'm from CA) spent over a year searching for Amber, and no mention of costs was ever brought up. Even the FBI was involved, as well as local San Diego PD (I lived in San Diego at the time). The Laura Recover Center was involved, as well as Escondido PD, the Polly Klaas Foundation, and the National Center for Missing Children -- for a year. This couldn't have been cheap to say the least.

Now I heard that the FBI recently joined the Kyron team, and there are many still searching -- but to bring up the cost of the search is.....quite insulting. (IMHO). http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20006956-504083.html

This really bothers me:

The search and investigation into Kyron Horman’s disappearance has cost Multnomah County about $300,000 so far, with no arrests and no discovery of the 7-year-old since he vanished from Skyline School on June 4.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/search_for_kyron_horman_costs.html

Are they now putting a price limit on bringing this sweet boy home?

So sad....

Mel

California is in the toilet as well. We (I'm from CA) spent over a year searching for Amber, and no mention of costs was ever brought up. Even the FBI was involved, as well as local San Diego PD (I lived in San Diego at the time). The Laura Recover Center was involved, as well as Escondido PD, the Polly Klaas Foundation, and the National Center for Missing Children -- for a year. This couldn't have been cheap to say the least.

Now I heard that the FBI recently joined the Kyron team, and there are many still searching -- but to bring up the cost of the search is.....quite insulting. (IMHO). http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20006956-504083.html

This really bothers me:

The search and investigation into Kyron Horman’s disappearance has cost Multnomah County about $300,000 so far, with no arrests and no discovery of the 7-year-old since he vanished from Skyline School on June 4.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/search_for_kyron_horman_costs.html

Are they now putting a price limit on bringing this sweet boy home?

So sad....

Mel

Well, if people are concerned about the money, ,I hope their child, grandchild, whatever relative ever has an issue.

Just reporting facts perhaps?

If they think he's alive and being hidden, then why are they spending all this money on searching the island?
I don't think LE has a clue... my opinion.

Yes Of cource they are concerned. Let's not make a mistake here that it means they don't care. They are doing what they can with the funds that they have. IMO they are doing a damn good job at that. We live in a world where unfortunally money tree's are NOT real. They can apply for Grants ( I'm sure they have but it takes times) I bet you anything there is officers working over time for FREE on this case.

Departments EVERYWHERE is having budget cuts this is not the Departments fault but they are doing the best they can do for the money they have.

My husbands department has had budget problems as well but the Officers still work hard still put their lives on the line even if the pay is so little ( bc of cuts) .

I hope him stating how much it has cost them will bring in more donations to the fund to find him ( which is why I think he mentioned it)

They love Kyron you can tell in the Sheriff's eyes in his words. They are working 24 hours a day on Kyron's case. They have 20 officers on his case alone.

If they had a money tree and millions of Dollars I am sure they would spend every single penny they had to find Kyron but thats not reality in a world where budget cuts is a REAL thing. I have full faith they will continue to look for Kyron until they find him no matter what it takes but let's please not get upset because he menitoned how much it has cost when in reality it takes money to do the searches. As for me. I'll be sending in a small donation to the Sheriff's department to help. It won't be much but it will HELP.. Every Dollar helps.

JMO

I lived in Portland for six years. It's hard not to get frustrated with ill prepared irresponsible people who climb up on mount Hood and get stuck in a storm and need to be rescued. People die up there every year, if not darn near, and sometimes it's the rescuers who get caught and die. Folks shouldn't be going up there without knowing what they're doing. Of course I don't wish ill on ANYONE, but I do feel for the taxpayers and the rescuers and their families.

There were some verrrry interesting replies he made in that interview that had nothing whatsoever to do with the cost... Hmmm

I took it as another way for LE to point out everything they are doing to try to resolve this.

Kinda like pointing out that they called out over 1300 certified SAR personnel to help with the search.

I took it as another way for LE to point out everything they are doing to try to resolve this.

Kinda like pointing out that they called out over 1300 certified SAR personnel to help with the search.

This is exactly how I took it as well. Just letting people know that they are putting everything they have behind finding this boy.

Well, the Oregonian reporter asked about the cost of the investigation in the first question, the sheriff didn't bring it up first. I don't know why the reporter would start out with that sort of line of questioning except in an effort to stir up controversy among the public, especially with the recent* budget crisis in Oregon. IMO. Or maybe the reporter was trying to start out with the "big picture" vis-a-vis how the investigation is affecting the Sheriff's Office and the county government as a whole, before asking for specifics about Kyron and the case.

*The budget was already bad--state workers are taking unpaid furloughs (gov't basically shut down on 8 Fridays over the next biennium), and are subject to wage freezes, services are being cut back, etc., etc. The latest recent budget forecast shows that things are even worse--all state agencies are being asked to do another 9% budget cut and even that may not solve the state's problems. Like I said, unfortunately this is on a lot of people's minds more than one little missing boy.

Ok, I understand all your points, but, have you ever seen this in the case of a missing child where a dollar amount is made public on the specific case?

I personally do not care what the amount is, I just want to know if this is another "strange" thing in this case.. or if it is "norm". I have only really read about 3 cases on WS (Haleigh Cummings, Roger Ellison & Wileys Angel) none of those cases involved telling the amount an investigation has cost the public so far.

Media here in Oregon makes a big deal about the cost of search and rescue. But I have not once heard anyone (friends, family, etc.) talk about the cost of searching for Kyron, or a climber on Mt. Hood (or the one that went missing yesterday on Mt. Rainier, granted it's in WA but still..), etc. And believe me, sitting around the dinner table with my family, we talk about everything and anything. But never before has anyone I know brought up the cost in the years that I can think back on our talks about search and rescue operations.

Oregonians seem a bit obsessed with the cost of law enforcement (especially search-and-rescue), however. Every time someone gets stuck on Mt. Hood, people complain about the cost of rescuing them, even when people die. :(

I hear you loud, and clear. I live in Florida, and between the Caylee case, and the Haleigh case we have been made aware of the costs in these cases. Personally, I would rather have the money spent on prosecuting these baby killers than trying to save some fish in our ocean, but that is my opinion. I guess I think of how I would want the state to prosecute someone who killed my child no matter what it costs. Call is selfish, but that is how I feel.

Media here in Oregon makes a big deal about the cost of search and rescue. But I have not once heard anyone (friends, family, etc.) talk about the cost of searching for Kyron, or a climber on Mt. Hood (or the one that went missing yesterday on Mt. Rainier, granted it's in WA but still..), etc. And believe me, sitting around the dinner table with my family, we talk about everything and anything. But never before has anyone I know brought up the cost in the years that I can think back on our talks about search and rescue operations.

Media and some nasty commenters on the media websites. I can understand having concerns about spending money "rescuing ill-prepared yuppies" from Mt. Hood, but I wish folks would hold off on such thoughts (people say things like "it serves them right!" :() until they pull the bodies off the mountain. I'm biased though, I have a good friend whose family member died on the mountain. The Oregon Episcopal School tragedy. Do people have any business climbing up a dangerous mountain? I don't know.

Back on topic--on the other hand, Kyron was certainly not in a place he shouldn't have been! He was at school! I don't quite see how one could begrudge the money spent in his case. Unless somehow one thinks the MCSO has completely botched the investigation. I'm just not seeing it--they seem very dedicated, and I think the sheriff was trying to emphasize that over the costs when the Oregonian tried that angle.

Please name a missing childs case where the dollar amount spent was given to the public.

All I am trying to find out if this is normal practice of a missing child case...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back