NJ - Family Day At Sex Offender Prison Didn't Work Out Well

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
:furious::banghead::furious::banghead:Avenel. That's our local sex offender "jail"/diagnostic center.

They have a "Family Day" ain't that swell? A 9 year old girl was assaulted while attending the event. This was last month and they just now come out with this news. The offender who has his name listed at link (I'm not even bothering to write it) faces disciplinary action. Ohhhhhhhh, what are they going to do? Put him in jail?

116 kids attended the event. 210 inmates mingled in the carnival type atmosphere. They were really on their toes because they had 30 officers supervise.:banghead: First off do ya need to be a rocket scientist to know these people are tempted? Secondly you put 30 lousey guards out there to watch over this fiasco?

Why not just let them all out? Close Avenel. Hand these kids to the wolves. :furious::furious::furious:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/07/alleged_family_day_incident_at.html

filly id already argue they already fed the kids to the wolves.

'carnival type atmosphere' sounds like they set this up to be a dissater from the start. and now looks like they want to bury it so no one finds out :(

Gee, why don't they just set up a conveyor belt so they can choose which child they want? Family unification be damned. Protect the children first.

Whaddaheck? When they're released on probation, they get all kinds of prohibitions about mixing with kids, but while they're in jail they bring kids to them?

Guess they'll give drug dealers a free access to the prison pharmacy cabinet next.

During family day, no one came to visit Gonzalez so he joined a fellow inmate and his relatives, according to a disciplinary report. Fedkenheuer would not say whether inmates without visitors were allowed to attend family day events.

At one point, while the second inmate talked with his mother, Gonzalez brought the man’s two nieces to get Italian ices, according to a written statement the second inmate gave investigators. They were gone for about 20 minutes.

Hands up, which ones of you would allow your children out of your sight for 20 minutes in a sex offender's congregation and let them go get icecream in the company of a child rapist?

oh i cant wait to hear the genuises behind this brillliant idea explain how this is 'an isolated incident' and that the program 'works'

And what parent wouldn't be watching the 7-year old the whole time? Oh. I forgot. The parent whose BFF/family is the inmate and quite possibly brought more than one child to this event.

This would almost be laughable if it weren't so tragic.

Unbelievable...

and they think these people can be rehabilitated??

in sense they're saying our SO "rights" are more important than the kids safety...well being...lives.

This whole idea is so far beyond ludicrous that it stretches the imagination.

The "carnival" atmosphere just floors me. How smarmy can you get? And we are to believe that the 9 year old was the only one?

I have a son who just got out of prison for a probation violation. He's a RSO. He told me something the other day that just reinforced, once again, that there's very little hope. He said that a number of the men he met, who were in on child rape charges, have prison tats of candy on their palms. I didn't understand right away but he explained, "You know, giving candy to little kids so they'll do what you want." I was appalled.

He also mentioned that he'd met a very nice guy in prison. Remember, my son has developmental disabilities and is not the sharpest on most issues. He said that a lot of people think the young man is crazy but that he sat with my son sat and talked about poetry and about their parents. I asked the man's name. It was Kip......I about dropped the phone. I'd really prefer to have my name left out of conversations like that.

Back to "family day". I fully understand that there are often reintegration activities for those getting ready to leave programs. I also am a strong supporter of children having safe access to their parents (for the child's sake). However, few men and women who are RSOs will have the ability to every live unsupervised with children. I would think that these prisoners would be allowed a one on one visit with family members while being highly supervised.

The ratio used in this case is unacceptable. Two SOs per child and only one guard per seven SOs? I don't think so.

It would be interesting to read a report on just how those men behaved after the carnival. I would think they would have been tremendously over-stimulated. Being that so many children were invited, each offender must have been able to observe and get close to his preferred type of victim. That is disgusting.

Read the comments after the article.........this is supposedly the 3rd incident in a short period of time.Another commenter claims there's also no dress code for visitors(unlike typical facilities)and theres alot of inappropriate clothing worn by visitors

Personally I question family members bringing young children there to begin with (moo)as I think the whole idea was bad but they if truly wanted to try to do this it shouldve been only inmates who had family present and a wayyyyyy better ratio of guards to inmates as the inmates and family members clearing cant(and arent/wont)supervise themselves.

This whole idea is so far beyond ludicrous that it stretches the imagination.

only two things have ever made me laugh and sob in equal proportions at the same time. this is the second. it's NOT funny in ANY way but the rabid stupidity that brought the situation about - it's laughable, it is, I had to double check to be sure it wasnt the onion. I could not eblieve it was real til I read it three times.

oh, this was the first thing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAa0gd7ClM"]bp spills coffee[/ame]

He also mentioned that he'd met a very nice guy in prison. Remember, my son has developmental disabilities and is not the sharpest on most issues. He said that a lot of people think the young man is crazy but that he sat with my son sat and talked about poetry and about their parents. I asked the man's name. It was Kip......I about dropped the phone. I'd really prefer to have my name left out of conversations like that.

What is the significance of the name Kip?

Kip Kinkel. He's the young man who killed his parents and two students at Thurston High School in Springfield, OR in 1998. He also wounded 22 others. It was a dark day in Oregon. Kip got a sentence of 111 years and was moved from the OYA to the adult prison in Salem a few years ago. My son happened to run into him and befriended him.

My comment was O/T but I was just shocked that my son sat and told Kip all about his parents--me and my husband. It's just downright creepy.

Sorry to be confusing. My main issue was that the SOs are often not ashamed of who they are. They are ready and rarin' to go. Thus my comment about the tattoos.

:eek: OMG!

What's next, cocktail parties at AA meetings??!?

:martini:

My AA confession:
Raises hand..lowers head ....sighs...

My name is Angel it was 2 hours sence my last drink, thank God i'm here cause I really need one!

To think that I almost made a mistake and went to my Anger Mangement Class but this article pissed me off so I came here instead:angel:

I agree with all of you, so where do we write??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back