WI WI - East Troy, Male 20-35, 1552UMWI, in cornfield, unusual shoes, Oct'79

masnitram

Antithesis
Reaction score
Haven't seen this case posted here; mentioned in a few threads...but never looked into. He wore "unusual shoes" and photos are available on the Doe link. I'm still relatively "new" and am curious why this case hasn't been submitted to NCIC?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1552umwi.html

Unidentified Male

* Located on October 11, 1979 in East Troy in Walworth County, Wisconsin.
* The victim had been shot with a 12 gauge shotgun.
* Estimated Date of Death: June 30, 1979

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: Over the age of 20 years old (dob. 1947-1957)
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4"-5'7"; 135-150 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: He was of unspecified race, but has been ruled to not be Black. Black hair.
* Clothing: The only identifying objects found with the body were a pair of shoes of unusual design.

Case History
The victim's skeletal remains were located in a corn field near the Village of East Troy in Walworth County, Wisconsin. The remains were badly decomposed and have not been identified.

I'm still relatively "new" and am curious why this case hasn't been submitted to NCIC?

I've run across quite a few cases where there aren't NCIC numbers. I guess back in 1979, things weren't as organized as they are now. And they still aren't as well organized as they should be.

It shouldn't be hard to narrow your list down, given the dark complexion and unusual facial shape.

I'm trying to decide what his ethnicity is - Native American? - East Indian?

East Troy is just over the Racine County line in Walworth County. The issue I'm having is that he was shot and killed in the summer of 1979 and not discovered until October of 1979. If the field was actually growing "corn"; when he was shot you'd think that sometime before the harvest the field would have been tended to. I grew up in Racine County right next to a very large farm. No matter the crop the migrant workers tended to the field quite regularly. It doesn't mention anything about if he appeared to have died there or was placed there after death. As far as race, I don't know when it became commonplace for Wisconsin farmers to move away from local kids to using migrant workers (usually Hispanic) however I would assume it was around the mid-late 70's...I know my parents and some of my older cousins (will say those 45+ now) worked on local farms in their youths. I however (age 33) don't know anyone around my age who ever did the same.

He has NOT been identified. Here is an email from Judy Rother...

"Mr. Martin,

I am the Area Director of Wisconsin, for the Doe Network. Helene has passed your email onto me and I looked into the case. This case was was mistakenly identified as recovered by the LE. The case was resubmitted to the Doe site earlier this month and is in the process of being added.

If you want I can scan and email you a copy of the posting? (I make copies of all my cases.)

Thank you for caring! Let me know if you would like a copy of the case posting.

Respectfully,
Judy Rother
Cannon Falls, MN

Area Director of South Carolina/South Dakota/Wisconsin
Media Rep - South Carolina/South Dakota
Researcher - South Carolina & South Dakota/Wisconsin
www.doenetwork.org
www.nampn.org
https://www.findthemissing.org/ (NamUs)

"Until one has truly loved an animal, a part of their soul remains unawakened". "

This John Doe has been put back into DoeNet, and has a new DoeNet ID

The Doe Network:
Case File 1552UMWI
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1552umwi.html

1552UMWI.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim

* The victim was discovered on October 11, 1979 in East Troy, Walworth County, Wisconsin
* Estimated Date of Death: June 30, 1979
* Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: Over 20 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4-5'7"; 135-150 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Unspecified race, but has been ruled not to be Black. Black hair.

1552UMWI1.jpg
1552UMWI2.jpg

Victim's Shoes

Case History
The victim’s skeletal remains were located in a corn field near the Village of East Troy in Walworth County, Wisconsin.
The remains were badly decomposed and have not been identified.

What skinny shoes those are. They'd be a slim fit even for a woman's foot. I don't know much about racial and national differences in foot width other than that shoemakers in continental Europe tend to make slimmer shoes than those in Britain, USA, Australia etc.

The shoes may be a clue in the disappearance of John Koziatek of Cincinnati, OH, missing on July 29, 1979.

A housemate of John's reported to family that the John disappeared with "my shoes", and had the nerve to take money from John's dad afterwards for the shoes. What was that about?

The reconstruction looks alot like the Koz.

The shoes may be a clue in the disappearance of John Koziatek of Cincinnati, OH, missing on July 29, 1979.

A housemate of John's reported to family that the John disappeared with "my shoes", and had the nerve to take money from John's dad afterwards for the shoes. What was that about?

The reconstruction looks alot like the Koz.

Are there any photos of the shoes that he disappeared with? Or are there any reasons for John to be in Wisconsin? The area the UID was found was fairly remote in the late 70's/early 80's. If John were there I wouldn't think it would be by accident, he'd have to have some ties. Western Racine County is still a major farming region but has grown significantly since that time with lot of farmland being subsidized for housing. John would have to have fairly strong ties to East Troy, Waterford, Burlington, etc for example. The only "touristy" thing I can think of is Alpine Valley which is a ski resort in the winter and a concert venue the rest of the year.

Were there any concerts at Alpine Valley July 29 or a little after there in 1979?

That might be a reason for John to be there.

I don't know about shoes he had on but that he had a housemates shoes, he liked to walk and climb. What type of shoes are those with the odd heels.

Were there any concerts at Alpine Valley July 29 or a little after there in 1979?

I don't know about shoes he had on but that he had a housemates shoes, he liked to walk and climb. What type of shoes are those with the odd heels.

BBM--

This was my first thought too. Alpine Valley is a REALLY awesome venue and people are known to travel from all of the country to see shows there.

There is limited physical information about Mr. Koziatek. Do you remember or know his height and weight etc...? I'm not sure what those shoes are honestly...

From a quick search I found a few listings.

The Doobie Brothers- July 20th
Blue Oyster Cult- July 29th

From http://www.classic-rock-concerts.com/cities/309 I found the following listings:

1979 Jul 2 Kansas, Alpine Valley Music Theatre
1979 Jul 2 Climax Blues Band, Alpine Valley Music Theatre
1979 Jul 3 Kansas, Alpine Valley Music Theatre
1979 Jul 3 Climax Blues Band, Alpine Valley Music Theatre
1979 Jul 7 James Taylor, Alpine Valley Music Theatre
1979 Aug 18 The Allman Brothers Band, Alpine Valley Music Theatre
1979 Sep 8 Rush, Alpine Valley Music Theatre

Thank you all for your help. I am staying focused on the post for John Koziatek, who meets the description of this body and matches same timeframe. I look forward to your thoughts with John's people. Much appreciated

I've run across quite a few cases where there aren't NCIC numbers. I guess back in 1979, things weren't as organized as they are now. And they still aren't as well organized as they should be.

It shouldn't be hard to narrow your list down, given the dark complexion and unusual facial shape.

I'm trying to decide what his ethnicity is - Native American? - East Indian?

I thought he looked like he might be Cambodian or Laotian.

Are the shoes he was wearing elevator shoes or just unusual looking?

Those shoes kind of look like the ones that a lot of people have now, that supposedly tone your legs and butt (I think they are Sketchers?).

I noticed Jeffrey Gibson on NamUs who went missing from Milwaukee, WI on July 17, 1979. I often search findthemissing.org for young men who went missing between the early 1970s and May 13, 1983 and every time I see Mr. Gibson's photo, I think of this UID even though the heights are somewhat off (recently there was a case of David Lenz who was found in Newhall, CA who was identified recently through DNA whose height was listed incorrectly in his missing person pages). On Yahoo Maps, The distance between where Jeffrey Gibson went missing on July 17, 1979 is about 30.45 miles and an estimated 37 minute drive from East Troy, WI where the unidentified man was found on October 11, 1979.
http://maps.yahoo.com/#q=Milwaukee%2C+WI+53215&conf=1&start=1&lat=43.00359&lon=-87.943329&zoom=11&mvt=m&trf=0&q1=Milwaukee%2C+WI+53215&q2=East+Troy%2C+WI

JPGibson.jpg

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9614/138
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4431dmwi.html

I noticed Jeffrey Gibson on NamUs who went missing from Milwaukee, WI on July 17, 1979. I often search findthemissing.org for young men who went missing between the early 1970s and May 13, 1983 and every time I see Mr. Gibson's photo, I think of this UID even though the heights are somewhat off (recently there was a case of David Lenz who was found in Newhall, CA who was identified recently through DNA whose height was listed incorrectly in his missing person pages). On Yahoo Maps, The distance between where Jeffrey Gibson went missing on July 17, 1979 is about 30.45 miles and an estimated 37 minute drive from East Troy, WI where the unidentified man was found on October 11, 1979.
http://maps.yahoo.com/#q=Milwaukee%2C+WI+53215&conf=1&start=1&lat=43.00359&lon=-87.943329&zoom=11&mvt=m&trf=0&q1=Milwaukee%2C+WI+53215&q2=East+Troy%2C+WI

JPGibson.jpg

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9614/138
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4431dmwi.html

Ambercat- I'm on the same page with you regarding Jeffrey Gibson. I've thought about this possibility ever since his case was added to Namus. I don't think it would hurt to submit him as a possible match. I've been reluctant to do so because I have a strong feeling that the UID was Laotian (or of comparable ethnicity).

Ambercat- I'm on the same page with you regarding Jeffrey Gibson. I've thought about this possibility ever since his case was added to Namus. I don't think it would hurt to submit him as a possible match. I've been reluctant to do so because I have a strong feeling that the UID was Laotian (or of comparable ethnicity).

Last night, I e-mailed the Milwaukee Police Department and Walworth County Sheriff's about Jeffrey Gibson possibly being the unidentified man found in East Troy. This morning I received an e-mail from Captain Dana Nigbor of the Walworth County Sheriff's Department stating --

I have a Detective working on this case. I will forward this information to him. Thank you

I keep going back and forth between two theories about the man in East Troy --

1. The UID is Mr. Gibson because there is a resemblance and the date and location he was last known to be alive are consistent with the UID.

2. The man in East Troy was someone from SE Asia who came in the late 1970s and didn't have very many ties to the area, so no one really noticed when he was missing. Unfortunately, at this time there are no Asian males reported missing before 1984.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back