Databases and Perp Sheets compiled by Belinda

Belinda

Doer of Things
Reaction score
I am going to attempt to give everyone access to my database and related perp sheets. Hope it works. With the database, it is difficult to view. It is actually 3 landscape pages wide and it cuts it off and presents all of the 1st pages and then all the second pages, etc. There is really no way to see it in its entirety without printing it out, collating it and taping it together. However, I would appreciate it if you would get my permission before making a hard copy of it or downloading it. Included with the database is also a Legend Form that gives an explanation for some of the initials used and general information. The 'Perp Sheets' are indepth case information files. Names that are highlighted in the database are those who have perp sheets. I hope some of that made sense and I hope it embeds correctly, so here we go.

Okay, embedding is not going to work. I would have to embed each file individually. So, everyone is going to get access to my account.

Go to DocStoc.com

Sign in: ********
password: ******

At the top of the page, choose 'My Docs'
On the left hand side you will see folders.

Case Databases - for the databases and legend
Case Perp Sheets - for individual perp sheets

I have blanked out the sign-in information as I don't want it to be available to the public. Please PM me if you would like the sign-in information.
I would just like for anyone interested to be able to see it and offer input. I will be updating these files as I go along.

THIS INFORMATION IS SOLELY FOR THE USE OF WEBSLEUTHS AND ITS MEMBERS. PLEASE DO NOT SHARE IT WITH OTHERS.

ETA: A little more info from Belinda:

Nancy suggested that I give a more complete introduction to the database. Thanks for the suggestion Nancy!

The information I have been gathering pertains only to child cases. Any child-related case. I have gathered as much information as I can on each case. It contains information on the perp, their sentencing and prison data, the judge and prosecutor involved whenever possible and release information. I have a column that notates when the child has been killed. I also have a column that shows when CPS was involved with the family prior to the event.

The Perp Sheets are in-depth sheets done on cases I have pulled out of the database. It contains some of the same info. as the database, but includes the whole story of the event as well as any CPS information pertaining to the case. The perp sheets also clearly show what the original charges were, which were dropped and which ones stuck for sentencing. That is very enlightening as you would be shocked by the number of charges dropped in these cases.

I hope this information is helpful in understanding what the database is about.

I just want to tell you again how fabulously helpful this is, Belinda. Have you asked the mods if there's a way that we can have it accessible on the main page so we can refer to it?

(((hugs)))

Missizzy

I haven't heard from any mods, so don't know if there is any interest there. I am going to keep adding to the database and hopefully, at some point, it will be helpful in some way. I have put a lot of heart and soul into it. I still need to do some clean up on the Actual Time Served Column.

Anyone who has viewed the data, please feel free to post comments and suggestions here. I am always looking for ways to improve it. Also, if anyone has any suggestions for a good use for the data, I would love to hear your thoughts.

:star:WOW! Belinda, this is so impressive! You've created something that entire AGENCIES (court "watchdog" groups, court monitoring organizations, victims' advocacy groups, etc.) strive to put together. :star:

This database is excellent! And I think there are so many great things you could do with this kind of research.
I think it would be great if you pulled out the most surprising or disturbing findings which may dubunk popular misconceptions and help in the prevention or detection of abuse --
For example,

--the normative notion that women rarely abuse children and that women do not sexually abuse children.

--the idea that strangers pose the greatest risk to children.

--the belief that people who perpetrate violence against children serve long prison sentences.

There are tons of sub-questions you could explore with your findings. It could be interesting to look at sentencing trends in specific jurisdictions. Do certain jurisdictions/judges/prosecutors tend to give lighter sentences than others? Do certain offenses tend to get plead down to lower charges? Do female and male offenders receive comparable sentences? Do certain offenders keep recidivating and escalating? Do certain types of offenders or victims receive more media coverage than others?

I think it would be amazing if you wrote out some findings and submitted an Op-Ed piece or wrote an article for one of the many great online publications focusing on crime and victims' advocacy. I really like blogs like womenincrimeink.blogspot.com, and I'm sure there are tons more that might be interested in an article or piece detailing your findings or drawing attention to problems in the criminal justice system.

Again, this is super impressive! I'm going to draw inspiration from all your hard work the next time I find myself being lazy and watching reality tv reruns. :blushing:

:star:BELINDA!:star:​

Thanks so much Nancy. I plan to use it to gather a range of statistical information, such as the breakdown on the perps. Right now, I'm just trying to grow it so that the data is more meaningful. I have already identified that Indiana has a serious problem with lenient sentencing.

Nancy suggested that I give a more complete introduction to the database. Since I am unable to edit the 1st post, I will give it here. Thanks for the suggestion Nancy!

The information I have been gathering pertains only to child cases. Any child-related case. I have gathered as much information as I can on each case. It contains information on the perp, their sentencing and prison data, the judge and prosecutor involved whenever possible and release information. I have a column that notates when the child has been killed. I also have a column that shows when CPS was involved with the family prior to the event.

The Perp Sheets are in-depth sheets done on cases I have pulled out of the database. It contains some of the same info. as the database, but includes the whole story of the event as well as any CPS information pertaining to the case. The perp sheets also clearly show what the original charges were, which were dropped and which ones stuck for sentencing. That is very enlightening as you would be shocked by the number of charges dropped in these cases.

I hope this information is helpful in understanding what the database is about.

I am going to bump this every few days for a little while, in case anyone still wants the password.

Belinda,
WOW - the hard work and dedication you have put into this! I can feel your heart and soul in your work!
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
The legend really helps --- Perhaps separate legends for each document. I am still trying to figure out what the Notes/Location column on the Unresolved cases doc is - but I am sure you have that info somewhere! I just wanted to run over and say, WOW.... just Wow!!!!!

Belinda,
WOW - the hard work and dedication you have put into this! I can feel your heart and soul in your work!
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
The legend really helps --- Perhaps separate legends for each document. I am still trying to figure out what the Notes/Location column on the Unresolved cases doc is - but I am sure you have that info somewhere! I just wanted to run over and say, WOW.... just Wow!!!!!

Thanks so much. The Notes Location column in both databases is just code for where I have my actual hand-written case notes. Some are in notebooks (B1/1 - Book 1, Page 1), some are documents printed from the internet (P) and some are a new form I am using to make sure I don't forget to look for anything (SH).

Thanks so much. The Notes Location column in both databases is just code for where I have my actual hand-written case notes. Some are in notebooks (B1/1 - Book 1, Page 1), some are documents printed from the internet (P) and some are a new form I am using to make sure I don't forget to look for anything (SH).

I was guessing Binder 1, etc -- you might want to add that to your legend page. Just tried the new link - not working for me but maybe just a note there is a legend in the documents. Something simple like "For annotations see Legend Doc."

Still absorbing the amount of work! I know from doing my Daisy chain chart and that was tiny compared to this!
Again
:woohoo::woohoo:

You just rock Lady B.

Thank you for all your hard work. I won't pretend to try and understand it but I know it's alot of time consuming tough stuff.

Please know we all appreciate you. Plus you share.:D

BTW I now am wondering how Nancy made those big stars.:D

Yay! I am so excited. Thanks for all the tips on Google Docs. I have now moved the files there and you can see the whole database without it being broken up! See links below. One link goes to the folder that contains the databases and one link goes to the folder that contains the perp sheets. Be sure to see the Database Legend file for information on the database.

For now, we are removing the links and reviewing the advisability of public access. If you would like access, please contact Belinda for the links.

Thanks!

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bz4...gyMmEtZWQxNGUzN2MxZThl&hl=en&authkey=CJWKn7wM
ETA: I'm a little confused. I set it to be accessed by anyone with the link, but when I click on the file, it still asks for a sign in. Anybody know if I'm doing something wrong?

I can't seem to access those links Belinda. I don't know if it's my computer or if the links are broken.

When I click on the link, it takes me to the correct folder, but when I click on a file name it prompts me to sign in. I don't know if you have to have a google sign-in to access it. I'm hoping someone with some Google experience will help us out here.

Apparently you must have a Google sign-on to view the Google links I have posted. If you don't or don't want to get one, I have left them also on DocStoc. The Google view is much, much better as you can view the database without it being broken up. It is able to accommodate the very large width of the database.

Bumping in case anyone still wants to see it. Please be aware that to use the Google docs links above, you must have a Google sign-on. It's easy to get and is by far the better way to view the database.

If you don't have a Google sign-on and don't wish to get one, you can still view the database in DocStoc. Just PM me for the sign-on information. DocStoc breaks the database up, though, so you can't see one case continuously across the page, but you can still get an idea. I will update the DocStoc pages this morning.

Bumping in case anyone still wants to see it. Please be aware that to use the Google docs links above, you must have a Google sign-on. It's easy to get and is by far the better way to view the database.

If you don't have a Google sign-on and don't wish to get one, you can still view the database in DocStoc. Just PM me for the sign-on information. DocStoc breaks the database up, though, so you can't see one case continuously across the page, but you can still get an idea. I will update the DocStoc pages this morning.

Gonna keep on Bumpin.:blowkiss::blowkiss::blowkiss:

Thank you.

I can't believe that I just now found this thread. I need to pay more attention when I'm making the rounds!

Belinda, thank you very much for sharing this great work of yours! I am in awe of your dedication to the task and of your organizational skills! I believe that this must be one of your God-given gifts, and He has blessed you well!

I agree with Missizzy's suggestion that this needs a more permanent and easily accessible link, so it doesn't get lost in the stack.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627
Back