Earthquake in the Washington DC area

I pray nobody got hurt and there is no property damage. Thank goodness the quake occured in the wee hours of the morning while most folks were still sound asleep and not on the roads. Thanks for the report Elphaba ... now I need to check on our family and friends in N. VA.

Elphaba I am glad you are O.K.

That's crazy. Has to be frightening.

I heard on the local news this morning that there's no property damage with a 3.6 (or whatever it was) earthquake. Reporter also said it's unusual for DC. Most earthquakes in and around VA are in the Shanandoah area.

My son is in Sterling. I texted him this morning to see if he felt it but haven't heard anything back yet.

It was different, that is for sure... only issue we have is that what was a small crack in our bedroom ceiling is now very visible and runs across the room towards J's office area. He was livid, but like he said: we realized a few years ago that whomever built the extension on the house before he bought it many years ago, did a poor job, so we shouldn't be surprised that the shaking the house took this morning made the crack run. :(

But, we have insurance, so all is good.

So there was property damage! Sorry to hear that.

I heard on the local news this morning that there's no property damage with a 3.6 (or whatever it was) earthquake. Reporter also said it's unusual for DC. Most earthquakes in and around VA are in the Shanandoah area.

My son is in Sterling. I texted him this morning to see if he felt it but haven't heard anything back yet.

Hoping your son gets back to you quickly, Lizzy.

It was different, that is for sure... only issue we have is that what was a small crack in our bedroom ceiling is now very visible and runs across the room towards J's office area. He was livid, but like he said: we realized a few years ago that whomever built the extension on the house before he bought it many years ago, did a poor job, so we shouldn't be surprised that the shaking the house took this morning made the crack run. :(

Hope his homeowners insurance covers it.

Hoping your son gets back to you quickly, Lizzy.

He just texted back and only said that it woke him up. I didn't think he was in trouble or anything. I just knew it probably scared him. We've never experienced an earthquake before. He's only been away from home for a little less than a year and he was in DC when they had ALL the snow. That's something he's never experienced before either. We have snow in the Hampton Roads area once in a blue moon and never like that. Thank you though :0)

Sorry to hear you suffered some damage Elphaba ... I'm so glad you and your family are safe. I've lived in both Rockville and Reston many, many years and do not recall experiencing any earthquakes.
Hmmmm, maybe Capitol Hill needed a little shakeup,eh?

Son just texted me that it was the biggest earthquake in the DC area in 36 years. Must be why you don't remember any LookingUp.

Hope your hear some good news from your son Lizzy! My granddaughter is in Leesburg and I'm waiting to hear from her.

He's okay LookingUp. You know kids (course he's in his twenties but still a kid to me), he probably thought it was exciting. I hope you hear from your daughter soon.

Happy you heard from your son Lizzy. Seems like 2010 is turning into one heckuva ride on Mother Nature's roller coaster, for the DC area.

Legalmania: good point... I'll have to ask him about that when he gets back in. I know there is no visible damage to our foundation, so I am thinking just the shoddy build of the walls just stressed the little crack in the plaster as they shook, causing it to open up wider and run. I guess a simple plaster job can fix the situation...

Sorry to hear you suffered some damage Elphaba ... I'm so glad you and your family are safe. I've lived in both Rockville and Reston many, many years and do not recall experiencing any earthquakes.

Thanks! :) And I agree, maybe this is mother nature rapping Capital Hill on the shoulder, letting them know she has her eye on them. ;)

So glad to hear LookingUp. Even though we know it was a small one, we moms worry.

I grew up in Reston and Herndon. I do remember an earthquake that I felt in Herndon. I can't remember which year, but late 80s or early 90s ( moved from there in '94). I was home alone and it freaked me out!! I didn't think VA was supposed to get earthquakes :eek:

I didn't think VA did either. I remember hearing quite a few years ago that VA does but usually they are so small that we don't really feel them or recognize them as such.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back