Reaction score
Sylvia Alice Lwowski, 22, Missing since 6 September 1975 from Staten Island, NY

Sylvia Alice Lwowski
Missing since September 6, 1975 from Staten Island, Richmond County, New York
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date of Birth: April 28, 1953
Age at Time of Disappearance: 22 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4-5'6"; 120-125 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Long, straight blonde hair; hazel eyes. Wears glasses.
Marks, Scars: Pierced ears.
Jewelry: Heart shaped engagement ring; a watch. She was carrying a handbag.
Dentals: Not available.
Fingerprints: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

On September 6, 1975, Sylvia went out with her fiance to a movie.

He returned stating that during an argument, she thew her glasses against the dashboard and ran from the car. Sylvia has not been seen since.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

New York City Police
718-834-4580

Agency Case Number: 10074

Source Information:

Namus
Doe Network Case File 2928DFNY

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/7574/157

NamUs Profile:
Dental: NA
DNA: Initial inquiry underway
Fingerprints: Available elswhere

There is scant information for Sylvia available on the internet. It's a shame.

This week will mark 35 years that Sylvia has been missing. Come home soon.

Attachments

• lwowski_sylvia.jpg
    lwowski_sylvia.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 81
  • lwowski_sylvia2.jpg
    lwowski_sylvia2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 94
  • lwowski_sylvia3.jpg
    lwowski_sylvia3.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 79
Sylvia Alice Lwowski, 22, Missing since September 6, 1975 from Staten Island, NY

Sylvia Alice Lwowski
Missing since September 6, 1975 from Staten Island, Richmond County, New York
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date of Birth: April 28, 1953
Age at Time of Disappearance: 22 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4-5'6"; 120-125 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Long, straight blonde hair; hazel eyes. Wears glasses.
Marks, Scars: Pierced ears.
Jewelry: Heart shaped engagement ring; a watch. She was carrying a handbag.
Dentals: Not available.
Fingerprints: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

On September 6, 1975, Sylvia went out with her fiance to a movie. He returned stating that during an argument, she thew her glasses against the dashboard and ran from the car. Sylvia has not been seen since.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

New York City Police
718-834-4580

Agency Case Number: 10074

Source Information:

Namus
The Doe Network: Case File 2928DFNY

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2928dfny.html

Though I've lived on Staten Island for the last forty two years, I have to admit I have no recollection of Sylvia or her disappearance. Though I would have been fairly young at the time my love of mystery meant I was always keenly aware of crime in the news. I've asked a few friends and family members if they remember the case but so far no one has.

Staten Island has always had a pretty low crime rate, especially violent crime and the only serial killers connected to the Island that come quickly to mind are Andre Rand (the subject of the documentary Cropsey), Richard Biegenwald and, a century ago, Albert Fish. Rand tended to prey on children and Biegerwald seems to have committed his crimes in New Jersey, though a number of victims were discovered in the basement of his mother's house on Staten Island and, from the timeline on Wikipedia, he seems to have been out of prison at the time of Sylvia's disappearance.

Of course serial killers aren't the only predators well versed in the art of disposing of an inconvenient body. Staten Island may not be knee deep in serial killers but we do have a long and infamous tradition of organized crime. I have no doubt there are any number of "goodfellas" out there who would know exactly how to make a body disappear.

Assuming the fiancé’s story is to be believed, and with so little information to go on that may be a fairly broad assumption, it's possible Sylvia ran into someone who did her harm and then had the knowledge, or knew a guy with the knowledge, of how to make certain she was never found.

Until more details emerge the possibilities are endless. I'm going to continue to ask around to see if I can find anyone who remembers the case plus I'll check out our local paper to see if they have anything in their archive.

Back in the seventies and eighties, when woman were murdered, the killers would claim:

"Oh, she just ranaway,"

"She ranaway, who knows if she will come back,"

Hundreds of cases later, we know that this exscuse is bunk - and we have solid evidence frrom these historical cases that whoever introduces the runaway theme, is the guitly party.

So here we have the boyfriend,
<modsnip>, who is the one last seen with her. The Police, it appears, did nothing with this case and it looks <modsnip>

The Detective in charge of this case has refused to even answer simple questions. "Detective Lennon"

I think the time has come for justice and the websleuthing community is the golden warchest of wisdom where one can find assistance in the form of idea generation, and ways to go about bringing justice.

Can you believe they still continue to reference this as a Missing Persons case>??

IN-CREDIBLE.

Let's get some answers... more to come.

Best,
The Gajonka

Though I've lived on Staten Island for the last forty two years, I have to admit I have no recollection of Sylvia or her disappearance. Though I would have been fairly young at the time my love of mystery meant I was always keenly aware of crime in the news. I've asked a few friends and family members if they remember the case but so far no one has.

Staten Island has always had a pretty low crime rate, especially violent crime and the only serial killers connected to the Island that come quickly to mind are Andre Rand (the subject of the documentary Cropsey), Richard Biegenwald and, a century ago, Albert Fish. Rand tended to prey on children and Biegerwald seems to have committed his crimes in New Jersey, though a number of victims were discovered in the basement of his mother's house on Staten Island and, from the timeline on Wikipedia, he seems to have been out of prison at the time of Sylvia's disappearance.

Of course serial killers aren't the only predators well versed in the art of disposing of an inconvenient body. Staten Island may not be knee deep in serial killers but we do have a long and infamous tradition of organized crime. I have no doubt there are any number of "goodfellas" out there who would know exactly how to make a body disappear.

Assuming the fiancé’s story is to be believed, and with so little information to go on that may be a fairly broad assumption, it's possible Sylvia ran into someone who did her harm and then had the knowledge, or knew a guy with the knowledge, of how to make certain she was never found.

Until more details emerge the possibilities are endless. I'm going to continue to ask around to see if I can find anyone who remembers the case plus I'll check out our local paper to see if they have anything in their archive.

BBM: That's a REALLY broad assumption. Wonder whatever became of the boyfriend AND how hard anyone in LE looked for her?

Are there any more facts available?

Please see attached police report and newspaper article re Sylvia's engagement

Attachments

• 1975 Police Report.pdf
    72.2 KB · Views: 245
  • Newspaper - Artical re- engagement.jpg
    Newspaper - Artical re- engagement.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 180
Please see attached police report and newspaper article re Sylvia's engagement

Regarding the MP report: The notation "Det Lennon advises will not handle". I cannot make out the date of the notation..looks like 9/7/75 16:45. The date of the report looks like 9/7/75 17:00. Did LE decide that same night not to look into Sylvia's disappearance? I am probably not reading the times correctly as the notation of time was before the policeman started the MP report.

Anyway, wonder if there is a possibility that Det. Lennon did not want to handle the case but assigned it to another detective??

I cannot be of any help, but this is an interesting case.

Did Sylvia have any siblings?

Did she live with her fiance?

Appears that her father passed away in the 1990's and her mother, a few years ago.

Who, if anyone, had been advocating for Ms. Lwowski's return during the last 35+ years?

Are there newspaper articles in archives that can be accessed?
It would be good to see those as well

Where is the fiance now?
How is it possible for a police force to shut down an investigation before it starts?

What was their relationship like prior to the night of her disappearance?

What proof is there that the boyfriend was connected to the mafia?

Good question

I am very intrigued by this story, but, unfortunately, there seems to be so little to work with.

I am hoping more information can be brought forth

The thought of a young woman disappearing without a trace is horrible
The thought of nothing being done about it is worse

I am hoping to learn there was some kind of investigation done and would like to know the details

So many questions....

Seems in 2010, these were the LE contact names or at least this is when they were posted

Contact

New York City Police
Det Wendell Stratford
(718) 834-4580

or

Capt. Kelly
718-667-2211
122 pct.

or

Det. Patrick Savage
(718)556-7122
Richmond County DA's Office

Back in the seventies and eighties, when woman were murdered, the killers would claim:

"Oh, she just ranaway,"

"She ranaway, who knows if she will come back,"

Hundreds of cases later, we know that this exscuse is bunk - and we have solid evidence frrom these historical cases that whoever introduces the runaway theme, is the guitly party.

So here we have the boyfriend, who has made it a priority not to show his face in any public pictures (via the Internet), who is the one last seen with her. The Police, it appears, did nothing with this case
<modsnip>

The Detective in charge of this case has refused to even answer simple questions. "Detective Lennon"

I think the time has come for justice and the websleuthing community is the golden warchest of wisdom where one can find assistance in the form of idea generation, and ways to go about bringing justice.

Can you believe they still continue to reference this as a Missing Persons case>??

IN-CREDIBLE.

Let's get some answers... more to come.

Best,
The Gajonka
<modsnip> Interesting that he came home with her glasses, but not the girl. Does her family know exactly how long it was between the time they last saw Sylvia and when the boyfriend turned up with her glasses? The reason I ask is because that could tell whether or not she was taken out of Staten Island ( if the boyfriend disappeared her...). Her family may have some information-you are right about people in the 70's always saying "she just left and never came back", and the police often didn't pursue it.

The parents appear to be deceased.

Mother is listed on the report has having reported Sylvia missing.

Who did the fiance return to ["He returned stating that..."] when he stated that there had been an argument?

To her family home?

Where was the movie theater?

For all we know it may have been in Brooklyn, New Jersey or Staten Island.

Was fiance able to produce ticket stub?

It would be nice to hear from any friends or family members that could tell us what state of mind she might have been in prior to the days she went missing. Where there any life changing events for her? Loss of job, loss of pregnancy, etc. etc. just examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77