International Megan's Law Up for Vote TODAY CALL YOUR SENATOR!

Salem

Former Member
Reaction score
The international Megan's Law is up for a vote today. Please call your congress person and let them know how you feel about te law.

Also, check out the comments on this page - a bit mind-boggling in my opinion.

I have not read the law thoroughly but I understand it will keep sex offenders from other countries out of the US and will limit how US SO's can travel outside the the US.

http://www.washingtonwatch.com/bills/show/111_HR_1623.html?tr=y&auid=6703079#usercomments

Salem

I've taken a better look at the bill and this is the letter I have written to my Congressman:

July 27, 2010

Congressman Kevin McCarthy

1523 Longworth Building
Washington, DC 20515

By Fax: (805) 461-1034/(202) 225-2908

Subject: Please Support H.R. 1623 - International Megan’s Law of 2009

Dear Mr. McCarthy:

I am writing to request your support of H.R. 1623 - International Megan’s Law of 2009. I believe this is a very important bill and its passage into law would be beneficial to the people of the United States and to the children of the world. As criminals become more and more sophisticated in the commission of their crimes, Law Enforcement must have the means necessary to keep up with them.

It is imperative that Law Enforcement have the necessary laws and means to effectively communicate with the international community in regards to trafficking of minors and the ability to stop dangerous traffickers from entering our Country.

Please - vote for H.R. 1623 - International Megan’s Law of 2009.

Thank you,

If anyone wants to copy it and make it work for their area - please feel free.

Here is a link to find your congressperson: https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml?tr=y&auid=6703071

Please support this very important bill - it looks like those who oppose are getting their word out.

Thanks,

Salem

Wish I would have seen this earlier......... business day is over here.

keep us updated Salem. TY for starting this thread.

I received this email alert this morning:

INTERNATIONAL MEGAN'S LAW - WE DID IT!

On Tuesday, August 27, the U.S. House of Representatives passed “International Megan’s Law” to protect kids worldwide from sexual predators.
Your voice was instrumental in making this happen. Over 30,000 Covenant House supporters signed our petition in favor of this legislation, and your calls to Nancy Pelosi’s office these past two weeks pushed Congress to act before the summer recess.
On the House floor, the bill’s sponsor Congressman Chris Smith specifically cited the Covenant House petition campaign as one of the reasons International Megan’s Law passed in the House.
The bill now goes to the Senate, where Rep. Smith expects it to pass quickly into law. We will of course keep you posted.
Thank you for believing with us that children should not be bought and sold and exploited on the streets. Thank you for believing with us that it is unacceptable that more than one million of the world’s children are trafficked for labor or sexual exploitation every year, including over 20,000 in the United States.
Because you made your voice heard, together we will protect more of our most vulnerable children, and bring those who buy and sell them to justice.

So it looks like we are on our way! :)

Salem

i received this email alert this morning:

international megan's law - we did it!

on tuesday, august 27, the u.s. House of representatives passed “international megan’s law” to protect kids worldwide from sexual predators.
your voice was instrumental in making this happen. Over 30,000 covenant house supporters signed our petition in favor of this legislation, and your calls to nancy pelosi’s office these past two weeks pushed congress to act before the summer recess.
on the house floor, the bill’s sponsor congressman chris smith specifically cited the covenant house petition campaign as one of the reasons international megan’s law passed in the house.
the bill now goes to the senate, where rep. Smith expects it to pass quickly into law. We will of course keep you posted.
thank you for believing with us that children should not be bought and sold and exploited on the streets. Thank you for believing with us that it is unacceptable that more than one million of the world’s children are trafficked for labor or sexual exploitation every year, including over 20,000 in the united states.
because you made your voice heard, together we will protect more of our most vulnerable children, and bring those who buy and sell them to justice.

so it looks like we are on our way! :)

salem

yessss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[FONT=&quot]PLEASE CALL YOUR SENATOR(s) AND LET THEM KNOW YOU SUPPORT INTERNATIONAL MEGAN'S LAW

A VOTE IS SCHEDULED THE WEEK OF NOVEMBER 29TH, 2010

THANK YOU!!!!!!

[FONT=&quot] Covenant House Advocacy Office [mailto:webmaster@covenanthouse.org]
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 2:33 PM
To: salem@websleuths.com
Subject: International Megan's Law: Make The Senate Vote This Week[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]TAKE ACTION[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We have just learned that H.R.1623/H.R.5138, International Megan's Law, could come up for a vote in the Senate this week before recess.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Let's get International Megan's Law passed before lawmakers head off to the holidays.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Contact your Senators' offices and tell them that you want to see this important legislation passed. Tell your Senators that you support H.R. 1623, expanding the protection of Megan's Law.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Find your Senator's contact info by clicking this link.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Telephone calls are the best - each Senator's office carefully tallies constituent phone calls![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]WHAT IS THE BILL ABOUT?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Last fall and again this summer, we asked you to rally around a bill, H.R. 1623, International Megan's Law. This bill will expand the protection of Megan's Law by providing advance notice of intended travel by high risk sex offenders outside the United States to the government of the country of destination, and by giving the US the right to prevent entry into the United States by any foreign national convicted of a sex offense against a minor.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Over 27,000 Covenant House supporters signed the petition to push this bill forward both online and through the mail, and our voices were heard. Then your calls and emails brought this bill successfully through the House.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]LET'S PUSH IT HOME[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We need your help one last time on this. Once the Senate breaks for holidays, we lose an important chance to get this bill passed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Don’t let this legislation lose the momentum we’ve created together. We can protect our most vulnerable children and bring those who buy and sell them to justice. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Covenant House[/FONT][FONT=&quot] | 461 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10001 | 800-388-3888 | news@CovenantHouse.org [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
mlopen_post.html

[/FONT]

Saul " Mayweather vs Cotto " Alvarez was succinct when asked recently if he would want to face the winner of the May 5 matchup between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Miguel Cotto should he get defeat Sugar Shane Mosley on the undercard.

"They are two of the best," said Alvarez, during a press conference promoting the Mayweather vs Cotto Pay Per View event on Thursday in Los Mayweather vs Cotto . "I would want to fight either one."

Alvarez, (39-0-1, 29 knockouts), who is 21, will be defending his WBC 154-pound title against Mosley (46-7-1, 39 KOs), who is 40, in the co-Mayweather vs Cotto bout the main event between WBC welterweight beltholder Mayweather (42-0, 26 KOs) and WBA junior middleweight titleholder Cotto (37-2, 30 KOs).

If Alvarez is successful, a potential bout with Mayweather or Cotto is a distinct possibility, according to Golden Boy Promotions CEO Mayweather vs Cotto Live Stream Schaefer.

"When you're a fighter, you always want to measure yourself against the best. Canelo Alvarez is no exception in that. It's amazing that he's a 21-years young fighter who is a world champion who is the most popular fighter in Mexico Mayweather vs Cotto Live , and he wants to go and test himself against the best," said Schaefer.

"Canelo is absolutely right that Mayweather and Cotto are the two best fighters in the world. So, who knows what's Canelo vs Mosley to happen? But it's certainly a match up which I think at the right time would be huge."

But when is the right time?

"Now, to speculate when the right time is, I don't think that does anybody any good," said Schaefer. "Let's just wait for what is now an amazing card on May 5 with Mayweather and Cotto and Canelo and Mosley."

ALVAREZ VS. MAYWEATHER-COTTO WINNER? SCHAEFER SAYS NOT SO FAST

Schaefer points to Mosley's success against Latino fighters, his November of 2007 unanimous decision loss to Cotto, notwithstanding, as a reason not to overlook him against Alvarez.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back