911 Operator falls asleep during Emergency Call

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- A call to 911 is usually a relief that help is on the way -- but not in this case.

An Anne Arundel County, Md., 911 operator is under investigation for apparently falling asleep last week during an emergency.
WBAL-TV in Baltimore obtained a copy of the emergency call Wednesday morning.

On July 29, at around 2:40 a.m., Patricia Berg found herself startled awake -- she thought someone was breaking into her home. But as she described the emergency, the 911 operator fell asleep to the point of snoring.

Caller: Ah, I was woken up ... (inaudible) ... You know when someone runs your hand across a pane of glass, how it makes that noise? The only place I can think of is my sliding glass door, and I woke up to check it out. I didn't see anything.

Operator: (Snoring)

The 911 operator had fallen asleep. The snoring went on for 1 minute and 48 seconds before Berg regained his attention.

Caller: Hello?

Operator: Yes, Hello?

Caller: I was just wondering if you were still there.

Operator: Yes ... (inaudible) What's the problem?

Caller: I already told you. You don't remember me letting you know what is wrong?

Berg complained to the 911 supervisor.

Supervisor: Hello, this is PCO Suitar, can I help you?

Caller: I called, and he took the information. I told him what happened and then he was silent and then I heard (Berg simulated snoring sounds).

The operator, an employee since 1993, is on a permanent midnight shift. No disciplinary action has been taken and the operator is now on vacation -- and apparently didn't say much before he left.

"We are talking to him, we are going to continue to talk to him. Was there a medical reason why he fell asleep? We don't know," Anne Arundel County police spokesman Lt. Joe Jordan said.

Police are reviewing procedures, the work history of the operator and his training.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/3618760/detail.html

Note to those who work the night shift: You have to give up a good portion of one other 8 hour segment in the day in order to function. You can't pretend your have days and eve's available then work nights. (prior experience)

http://www.capitalonline.com/cgi-bin/read/2006/03_07-04/TOP

County denies liability in killing

Anne Arundel County can't be sued for botching an emergency call about a Glen Burnie woman's 2001 killing because 911 operators and police have no legal duty to help someone being abducted, assaulted or murdered, a county lawyer told a federal judge yesterday.

The family of Yvette Beakes, however, said she might still be alive if a 911 dispatcher had told officers about the 26-year-old pharmacist's kidnapping or passed along an eyewitness' description of her abductors' van...

OneLostGrl said:
http://www.capitalonline.com/cgi-bin/read/2006/03_07-04/TOP

County denies liability in killing

Anne Arundel County can't be sued for botching an emergency call about a Glen Burnie woman's 2001 killing because 911 operators and police have no legal duty to help someone being abducted, assaulted or murdered, a county lawyer told a federal judge yesterday.

The family of Yvette Beakes, however, said she might still be alive if a 911 dispatcher had told officers about the 26-year-old pharmacist's kidnapping or passed along an eyewitness' description of her abductors' van...

Looks to me they are one and the same- both Annapolis,MD.

This is beyond unacceptable. The judge in this case said he himself would be afraid to go to that county.

This is one of those places where the townsfolk need to march to town square, in a loud grumble, with their torches and pitchforks and demand a whole big change in the attitude and incompetence there.

As a dispatcher myself, I must admit that while working nightshift can be very tiresome, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for this!!

This county can deny all it wants to what ever it wants, but from just reading a few details, there is no way that they are going to deny and liability or "duty of care" or acting as "reasonable" people, etc.

Un bloodly real..........I know one place in the USA that my family and friends are never going near. Who exactly is in charge of this city, Mickey Mouse or Minnie, with Donald Duck the head of the Police force, and Dumbo in charge of 911.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn
Back