Media Ignore Oliver Stone’s Anti-Jewish Rant, Bashed Mel Gibson for His

Dark Knight

Reaction score
"Hollywood may shun Mel Gibson for his anti-Semitic ravings, but the right wing in George Bush's increasingly hate-filled America won't," wrote Salon.com's Neal Gabler on August 1, 2006, four days after Mel Gibson was arrested for drunkenly spewing anti-Semitic hatred to a police officer.

Fast-forward to 2010. It's been three days since director Oliver Stone churned out similarly disturbing anti-Jewish rhetoric to the Sunday Times, and many of Gibson's most prominent critics on the left - including Salon.com - still haven't issued a word of condemnation about Stone's comments.

Similarly, the network news shows have ignored Stone's remarks, despite their wall-to-wall coverage of Gibson's reprehensible diatribe in 2006. The media blitz over Gibson's comments began the day after his arrest with ABC's World News Saturday, and continued non-stop on ABC, NBC and CBS until Aug. 4, 2006.

What did Oliver Stone say? It's not in the article above that I could find. TIA.

Also, for some reason the first line in that article made me blanch LOL.

but the right wing in George Bush's increasingly hate-filled America

What's George Bush got to do with anything? All right wingers are hate filled?

I don't like sweeping generalizations or stereotyping about the left or the right in politics.

Anyway back on topic, I'll do see if I can find what it was the Oliver Stone said...or someone can link before I find it...if so TIA.

Fair Use
Snip

In the Sunday Times interview promoting his new documentary South of the Border, Stone veered into discussion of the Holocaust, saying, “Hitler was a Frankenstein, but there was also a Dr. Frankenstein. German Industrialists, the Americans and the British. He had a lot of support…. Hitler did far more damage to the Russians than the Jewish people.”

Stone also referred to “Jewish domination of the media,” saying Israel “*advertiser censored**** up United States foreign policy for years.”

The American Jewish Committee released a statement condemning Stone’s remarks. “By invoking this grotesque, toxic stereotype, Oliver Stone has outed himself as an anti-Semite,” the group’s executive director, David Harris, said in a statement. “For all of Stone’s progressive pretensions, his remark is no different from one of the drunken, Jew-hating rants of his fellow Hollywood celebrity, Mel Gibson.”

Snip

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2010/07/27/oliver-stone-holocaust-apology/?hpt=T2

What did Oliver Stone say? It's not in the article above that I could find. TIA.

Also, for some reason the first line in that article made me blanch LOL.

What's George Bush got to do with anything? All right wingers are hate filled?

I don't like sweeping generalizations or stereotyping about the left or the right in politics.

Anyway back on topic, I'll do see if I can find what it was the Oliver Stone said...or someone can link before I find it...if so TIA.

The author was quoting what some other writer said in 2006. Those aren't his words. He goes on to show why they are hypocritical.

Thank you Egirl. :)

Ugh, Oliver, what nasty comments to make (now seeing them within context) thank you Gozgals!

FWIW, I never have really appreciated his work. But that's neither here nor there. I didn't like Kubrick either. Neither here nor there as well.

I appreciate the fact that I live in this wonderful country where we can have and promote any opinion we choose, but I would rather gouge my own eyes out than listen to Bill Maher. It's disgusting that he can blame Christians for everything that is wrong in this world and on the other hand crucify Mel Gibson for slandering Jews. Please don't take me wrong, Gibson's words were atrocious, but isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?????

The interview was in Rupert Murdoch's Sunday Times - you have to pay to read it....oddly enough no one seems to be able to quote the article??? One article I read says that Stone called Hitler a scapegoat. The article in the Guardian says much the same...he says Hitler is an easy scapegoat and goes on to explain.

Hitler? A scapegoat. Stalin? I can empathise. Oliver Stone stirs up history

Mel was onto the Jews killed Jesus line of stuff...and then of course there was his movie and the stuff that both he and his father espouse.

But again, where is the media firestorm over this? Why does Gibson get raked over the coals for DAYS while Stone gets virtually ignored? Is it because Gibson is a Catholic who made a pro-Jesus film and Stone is a Buddhist who makes conspiracy films? The media has been proven to be biased because of this, I believe.

I appreciate the fact that I live in this wonderful country where we can have and promote any opinion we choose, but I would rather gouge my own eyes out than listen to Bill Maher. It's disgusting that he can blame Christians for everything that is wrong in this world and on the other hand crucify Mel Gibson for slandering Jews. Please don't take me wrong, Gibson's words were atrocious, but isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?????

No, it isn't.

In the first place, there's a world of difference between criticizing a religion that often dominates political discourse in this country and demonizing a small group that have been scapegoated for 2,000 years.

In the second, there is a considerable body of Christians who feel it necessary to impose their views on the rest of us, by force and law if necessary. Although conservative Jews sometimes join with conservative Christians on some social issues, the numbers of the former make their impact relatively small. You may notice nobody has called for a constitutional amendment requiring everyone to keep kosher.

Moreover, Maher was raised as a Catholic and so criticizes Christianity from the point of view of an insider. That's very different from throwing stones at others because they are different.

But on that subject, Maher objects to any sort of magical thinking that discourages rational thinking and wants to impose its views on others. He is just as critical of Islam, Scientology, etc. See his film Religulous to see what I mean. Christianity, however, is the dominate religion in Maher's own country; no wonder he seems to pay special attention to it.

Whether or not you agree with him, Maher criticizes Christians for things some of them actually do. Gibson's anti-Jewish tirade instead invoked nasty and untrue stereotypes concerning an "international Jewish conspiracy" that controls all world events to the detriment of everyone.

No pot and kettle. More like apples and oranges.

But again, where is the media firestorm over this? Why does Gibson get raked over the coals for DAYS while Stone gets virtually ignored? Is it because Gibson is a Catholic who made a pro-Jesus film and Stone is a Buddhist who makes conspiracy films? The media has been proven to be biased because of this, I believe.

Yeah, the media are biased: toward stories that will attract the greatest attention. Mel Gibson is one of the biggest international movie stars of the past half-century. Nobody really cares what directors think.

Moreover, Gibson managed to make a "pro-Jesus film" (as you call it) that many saw as demonizing the Jews, even though reasonable Christians have long realized that the religious authorities and the mob that turned on Jesus were Jewish because that's the country where Jesus lived, not because there's something especially venal about Jewish people. He would have been treated the same anywhere else.

No, it isn't.

In the first place, there's a world of difference between criticizing a religion that often dominates political discourse in this country and demonizing a small group that have been scapegoated for 2,000 years.

In the second, there is a considerable body of Christians who feel it necessary to impose their views on the rest of us, by force and law if necessary. Although conservative Jews sometimes join with conservative Christians on some social issues, the numbers of the former make their impact relatively small. You may notice nobody has called for a constitutional amendment requiring everyone to keep kosher.

Moreover, Maher was raised as a Catholic and so criticizes Christianity from the point of view of an insider. That's very different from throwing stones at others because they are different.

But on that subject, Maher objects to any sort of magical thinking that discourages rational thinking and wants to impose its views on others. He is just as critical of Islam, Scientology, etc. See his film Religulous to see what I mean. Christianity, however, is the dominate religion in Maher's own country; no wonder he seems to pay special attention to it.

Whether or not you agree with him, Maher criticizes Christians for things some of them actually do. Gibson's anti-Jewish tirade instead invoked nasty and untrue stereotypes concerning an "international Jewish conspiracy" that controls all world events to the detriment of everyone.

No pot and kettle. More like apples and oranges.

I'm just wondering about the constant use of scapegoat as an answer. I think what Stone was pointing out, as have many people who get shut down as immediately being "anti-semitic" is that many more other cultures also died in the Holocaust but it has gone down in history as the Jewish Tragedy.

6 million Jews were slaughtered. 20-30 million Russians were slaughtered. Jehovah's Witnesses were slaughtered, Gypsies were slaughtered, Handicapped and Homosexuals were slaughtered.

Hitler's plan for the "perfect race" was not "anti Jew" as much as it was anti NON Aryan. His ideology was based on American research into Eugenics. The experiments that were done, the decision to rid society of it's weeds is something that is well documented in history.

I think what Stone was annoyed with is the way this "Jewish Tragedy" is always discussed to the exclusion of any others who many have suffered equally in this horror.

Anytime someone tries to bring it up they are accused of minimizing, denying etc.

That is why I think his comments are not as offensive as Gibsons. Gibson's father is a flat out denier. The apple does not fall far from the tree.

There's also a whole lot more going on with the Gibson saga. LE is involved; possible extortion, not to mention Mel's condemnation of just about every person of color in the world. Those tapes have kept dragging this story on.

Nova is right - the media will go where the bigger story is. Mel, as an actor, is a bigger "public figure."

There's also a whole lot more going on with the Gibson saga. LE is involved; possible extortion, not to mention Mel's condemnation of just about every person of color in the world. Those tapes have kept dragging this story on.

Nova is right - the media will go where the bigger story is. Mel, as an actor, is a bigger "public figure."

This wasn't talking about his recent tapes, this was about his 2006 arrest when he drunkenly accused Jews of starting all the wars in the world, etc.

And Oliver Stone is certainly famous enough to warrant interest. He may not be like Mel Gibson (most aren't) but he is almost a household name.

You're absolutely right, DK!

The majority of the media is biased and picks and chooses their targets.

Actually, MANY people would be shocked by the amount of things the majority of the media doesn't report about because it doesn't fit with THEIR agenda. :banghead:

JMHO
fran

I'm just wondering about the constant use of scapegoat as an answer. I think what Stone was pointing out, as have many people who get shut down as immediately being "anti-semitic" is that many more other cultures also died in the Holocaust but it has gone down in history as the Jewish Tragedy.

6 million Jews were slaughtered. 20-30 million Russians were slaughtered. Jehovah's Witnesses were slaughtered, Gypsies were slaughtered, Handicapped and Homosexuals were slaughtered.

Hitler's plan for the "perfect race" was not "anti Jew" as much as it was anti NON Aryan. His ideology was based on American research into Eugenics. The experiments that were done, the decision to rid society of it's weeds is something that is well documented in history.

I think what Stone was annoyed with is the way this "Jewish Tragedy" is always discussed to the exclusion of any others who many have suffered equally in this horror.

Anytime someone tries to bring it up they are accused of minimizing, denying etc.

That is why I think his comments are not as offensive as Gibsons. Gibson's father is a flat out denier. The apple does not fall far from the tree.

Interesting. I also wonder if it has something to do with Stone's heritage. He is half-Jewish.

Interesting. I also wonder if it has something to do with Stone's heritage. He is half-Jewish.

That's what I was going to say as soon as I saw the title of the thread. However, can you be just half Jewish?

On a side note right now "Judgement At Nuremberg" is on TV.

That's what I was going to say as soon as I saw the title of the thread. However, can you be just half Jewish?

On a side note right now "Judgement At Nuremberg" is on TV.

Well, a Jew who is Orthodox wouldn't count Stone since it's from his father's side. I have relatives who refer to themselves as half-Jewish. (They are all Reform.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back