Beeee Very Careful for what and why you call tech support. Especially for nude photos

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
Link

Outsourcing nightmare: Sacramento woman describes Dell tech support abuse
by George Warren • News10/KXTV • July 29, 2010

SACRAMENTO - A Sacramento woman's call to Dell technical support for help with a new computer set the stage for a humiliating sequence of events involving credit card fraud and the publication of some very personal photographs.

"I've been violated. My life's been violated," said Tara Fitzgerald. "I'm a woman, and no woman likes to be taken advantage of."

"Missing" nude photographs

Fitzgerald, 48, said she first called Dell's toll-free support hotline in late December 2008 after realizing she couldn't locate a number of erotic pictures of herself she thought she had saved on her desktop computer to send to her boyfriend.

The single mother of a 14-year-old daughter admittedly has very little working knowledge of computers and the Internet and was genuinely worried about where the nude pictures might appear.

"I couldn't find them on my computer and that made me nervous. I didn't know where they went," she said.

Fitzgerald said she was connected to a technical support representative in Mumbai, India, named Riyaz Shaikh. Fitzgerald explained the delicate nature of the task and authorized Shaikh to assume remote control of her computer.

"I trusted him. I trusted him because he was a Dell technician," she said....

Wow! I know this is horrible for her but some people's naivete astounds me. You need to read the whole article to really understand this thing. I mean it gets bizarre, take the time because it's worth it.

The worst part is that she has a 14 year old daughter. As if 14 year old kids aren't embarrassed by their parents enough. I feel very sorry for that child but at least she'll learn an important lesson.

Wow. That's all I can manage. Wow.

What happened to this woman is horrible and it was absolutely wrong on the Dell guys part. Having said that though, this woman bears some responsibility for this. I'd give her 30%.

What happened to this woman is horrible and it was absolutely wrong on the Dell guys part. Having said that though, this woman bears some responsibility for this. I'd give her 30%.

I'd give her more.

I'd give her more.

In a way, and I'm not saying I believe this, you could make an argument for giving her 100%. If she hadn't called dell in the first place it wouldn't have happened. She had to have a friend that knows some stuff about computers she'd rather tell than a Dell support guy. :waitasec:

Yeah, she's not that bright if she called and gave him permission for remote access for NUDE pictures...that were only meant for her boyfriend (whole nother problem)

I would have reformatted and destroyed that hard drive and replaced it, chalking it up to me being stoopid in the first place.

My husband and I both have a total of 5 dells and we have been outsourced to India many times......Just a side....I think they ask more questions of me than I do for them....ie...where do you live...what do you do for a living...do you play world of war crafts....I told him that that wasn't why I called and I'm not comfortable giving that info. sheesh

I just wanted to add that when I give remote assistance, I put a time limit on it...so they better be on the ball LOL

There's a video of her dancing still up at a website! :eek:

i was thinking maybe she could possibly be to dim to look thru her "sent" email items and actually needed to call tech support. but then all of the following business of falling in "love" i thought she had a boyfriend? anyhoo... then she sends him a new laptop?? huh? really? if she didnt realize that she was getting zoomed at that point ... and why did this guy have her dell credit # ? if he was an outsourced co. then i dont think they would necessarily have access to dells credit card accounts for all of the card holders - she prolly would have had to have given it to him for some reason. so then he drops her like a rock and moves on to his next mark in some other state and uses her card to buy a gift for his new "true love".... people never fail to shock me with stupidity.... i dont feel sorry for this woman at all. maybe im just a big meanie today? but come on....
jmho it sounds like this woman didnt feel "violated" until he dumped her...

i was thinking maybe she could possibly be to dim to look thru her "sent" email items and actually needed to call tech support. but then all of the following business of falling in "love" i thought she had a boyfriend? anyhoo... then she sends him a new laptop?? huh? really? if she didnt realize that she was getting zoomed at that point ... and why did this guy have her dell credit # ? if he was an outsourced co. then i dont think they would necessarily have access to dells credit card accounts for all of the card holders - she prolly would have had to have given it to him for some reason. so then he drops her like a rock and moves on to his next mark in some other state and uses her card to buy a gift for his new "true love".... people never fail to shock me with stupidity.... i dont feel sorry for this woman at all. maybe im just a big meanie today? but come on....
jmho it sounds like this woman didnt feel "violated" until he dumped her...

The sheer gullibility of people never ceases to amaze me. How these Nigerian Princes make a living is astounding. I'm almost of the mind that if you are that boneheaded you deserve to be ripped off. Well, sometimes I am.

Did you see the Dateline where a guy was being used as a fence by a picture of a beautiful internet woman who kept making excuses for why she couldn't see him. :rolleyes:

The sheer gullibility of people never ceases to amaze me. How these Nigerian Princes make a living is astounding. I'm almost of the mind that if you are that boneheaded you deserve to be ripped off. Well, sometimes I am.

Did you see the Dateline where a guy was being used as a fence by a picture of a beautiful internet woman who kept making excuses for why she couldn't see him. :rolleyes:

oh yeah - i think so, the one where he had a house load of merchandise bought with stolen cc #S ? and there was no "real" woman? just some nigerians or some kind of foreigner MEN sending him directions of where to send the stuff?.... if were talkin' the same dateline, it was some years ago - at least this same scam hadnt been repeated a thousand times over. this woman in the article that you posted, what i dont get is that even after he posted her nudies online -- THEN she fell in love with this spook?? wth? and THEN bought him a laptop! duh... then he dumps her and THEN she is trying to claim that this is all of DELLS fault. nope, not buyin' that :snooty:....lol.

I dont know how you are meaning Spook ..but ummm really???

I think the issue was he stole her credit account with dell and got the woman in Tn a computer.

oh yeah - i think so, the one where he had a house load of merchandise bought with stolen cc #S ? and there was no "real" woman? just some nigerians or some kind of foreigner MEN sending him directions of where to send the stuff?.... if were talkin' the same dateline, it was some years ago - at least this same scam hadnt been repeated a thousand times over. this woman in the article that you posted, what i dont get is that even after he posted her nudies online -- THEN she fell in love with this spook?? wth? and THEN bought him a laptop! duh... then he dumps her and THEN she is trying to claim that this is all of DELLS fault. nope, not buyin' that :snooty:....lol.

That's the one.

Pfft.

I don't believe it.

Fitzgerald said she was connected to a technical support representative in Mumbai, India, named Riyaz Shaikh. Fitzgerald explained the delicate nature of the task and authorized Shaikh to assume remote control of her computer.

They're always named "David".

I dont know how you are meaning Spook ..but ummm really???

I think the issue was he stole her credit account with dell and got the woman in Tn a computer.

ummm, yeah i think everything that this tech support guy has been accused of doing is spooky... im just shocked that the whole relationship aspect between these two people went as far as it did before this woman caught on that this guy was not on the up and up... moo

It never ceases to amaze me at the gullibility of some people. Most of the time people do it because they expect to get something for nothing. It seems that whenever I place an ad on Craigslist I get a thousand responses from people wanting me to take a money order and ship something overseas. Of course the money order is more then the item is selling for so people jump at the chance of more money. I just to answer these people, asking "How stupid do you think I am?". I have no sympathy for someone that thinks they are going to hit a big payday and then they get ripped off. There is no free lunch. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Now when I place an ad I specify that I don't take money orders, cash only, local only, no shipping. It's a shame there are so many looking to make a profit over peoples greed.

Linky

Charlottesville police say Kroger card was theft suspect's undoing
By Media General News Service
Published: September 03, 2009

Police who were tracking down a woman suspected of credit card theft found that her use of her Kroger Plus Shopper’s Card really helped tie the case in a neat bundle, a Charlottesville detective said.

Fannie Ophelia Henson, 46, was arrested on Saturday and charged with credit card theft, a felony....

Linky

Charlottesville police say Kroger card was theft suspect's undoing
By Media General News Service
Published: September 03, 2009

Police who were tracking down a woman suspected of credit card theft found that her use of her Kroger Plus Shopper’s Card really helped tie the case in a neat bundle, a Charlottesville detective said.

Fannie Ophelia Henson, 46, was arrested on Saturday and charged with credit card theft, a felony....

im betting that she just had to use her plus card to get the sale price, right???
gotta pinch those stolen credit card pennies ya know!! now ill go read the link... :blushing:

well, yep thats what this woman did - BUT for those of you that dont have kroger gas stations - the only way you will get the discount from your shoppers plus card for gas purchases is if you also have a kroger credit card in addition to the shoppers plus card....so either she is a dipsh!t or the stolen card she used was a kroger credit card... and she also used her own shoppers plus card - thus still making her a dipsh!t the article says the purchases were for $400 of gas. thats a lot of gas. or some gas and cigs and whatever else she could have bought at the gas station...i dont think they sell liquor ....

im betting that she just had to use her plus card to get the sale price, right???
gotta pinch those stolen credit card pennies ya know!! now ill go read the link... :blushing:

Hey at least she was trying to save the guy a little money. :rolleyes:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back