NY NY - Michael Taus, 24, West Islip, 18 June 2010

summer_breeze

Reaction score
http://wcbstv.com/topstories/missing.man.michael.2.1835215.html

L.I. Man Missing 5 Weeks After Internet Blind Date
Jul 31, 2010 7:30 am US/Eastern

Jennifer McLogan WEST ISLIP, N.Y. (CBS) ― A Long Island couple is looking for help to find their missing son, who left for a blind date with a woman he met on a social dating website.

Michael Taus, 24, of West Islip and his dog Romeo went missing June 18 and his parents are heartbroken and frantically seeking their son.

"I can't describe how bad I feel," Taus' mother Barbara told CBS 2 HD. "I feel sadder than I've ever felt in my whole life."

Taus' parents said their son had been on several social networking sites during the third week of June.

Taus' father, Russel, recounted a conversation he had with his son about the date before he went missing.

"He seemed happy," Russel Taus said. "I told him to be careful because he met this girl on the computer."

However, Michael Taus never returned to his West Islip apartment after his internet date. Another perplexing element to this case is that his dog and the dog's water and food bowls were also missing from the apartment.

Six days after he went missing, police discovered Michael Taus' 2004 black Jetta abandoned with the engine running 30 miles away from his home in Elmont.

Inspector Gerard McCarthy said police have done a forensic examination of the vehicle.

"There is nothing to indicate that the vehicle was part of a violent scene," McCarthy said. "He seems to have fallen off the face of the earth."

Authorities said they are mystified about how the man went missing and are reaching out to law enforcement across the county.

MichaelTaus2.jpg

This is very strange...dog missing, car found running...does not look good. Anybody else thinking robbery that went wrong? Did he take his dog on the date? I read somewhere that the dog's food bowls and food was gone too. Hmmm, would he really just leave and not give some peace to his parents?

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/west-islip-man-dog-reported-missing-1.2152448

Michael Taus, 25, and his dog, Romeo, a 2-year-old pit bull, were last seen June 18 at their home on Everdell Avenue by his father, Russel Taus.

The older Taus said he went to his son's home and spent the afternoon looking at new clothes his son was showing off.

"He seemed upbeat . . . and happy," said Russel Taus, 53, of Speonk. "He said he was going out on a date with a girl he met on his computer."

Since that afternoon, friends and family have not seen or heard from Taus, who ran a business detailing cars and boats, and who also built websites on a freelance basis.

And Suffolk police said Thursday that they are mystified.

Michael Taus' car, a 2004 black Volkswagen Jetta, was found running in Elmont on June 24, police said. His bank accounts have not been used since his disappearance and police have no leads on where he may be, according to Suffolk Police Deputy Insp. Gerard McCarthy. Taus' cell phone has also been disconnected.

Family steps up search for missing W. Islip man (video)

(07/29/10) WEST ISLIP - A Long Island family is asking for the public's help finding their missing loved one more than a month after he was last seen.

Police are asking anyone with information to call 631-852-6040.

Nothing new but figured I would bring local links here.

Nothing I've read in these articles suggests that LE has done computer forensics on his computers. Would that not be the way to find out everyone he was communicating with online? I would think that would have been the first step in finding out what happened to this young man.

Man Missing After Internet Blind Date​

michael-taus.jpg

A Long Island couple is looking for help to find their missing son, who left for a blind date with a woman he met on a social dating website.
Michael Taus, 24, of West Islip and his dog Romeo went missing June 18 and his parents are heartbroken and frantically seeking their son.​

Taus’ parents said their son had been on several social networking sites during the third week of June.​

"I always used to tease him whenever he was going out on a date with a girl from Match.com,” said Taus.​

West Islip Man, Dog, Missing

A West Islip man has been missing since June, and Suffolk police are asking the public for help in locating him.
Michael Taus, 25, was last seen at his home on Everdell Avenue on the night of June 18. His dog Romeo has gone missing as well. Since his disappearance, Taus’ car was found in Elmont.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Taus is asked to call the Missing Persons Section at 631-852-6040 or anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.

http://www.longislandpress.com/2010/07/29/west-islip-man-dog-missing/

Presumably the police can do a check on his computer to determine who he was supposed to meet.

It seems very strange that his car was found 6 days later, with the engine running. Was it dumped somewhere and then stolen a number of days later?

I bet dollars to donuts that he went to meet this date at her home. May have been a set up or a date gone wrong with a jealous hubbie or boyfriend somewhere. The fact that the dog bowls were gone tells me he was going to spend the day at the persons home. That would also explain the vehicle being dumped days later, it was in their garage or driveway until they felt safe in dumpng it. What better way to throw things off then to leave it running. IMHO

Sounds like the date may have included the dog? As in, walking the dogs together or something like that? But maybe it was a set-up for robbery? But the car is confusing, not a car jacking I guess. Poor guy, just trying to meet a girl. And his poor parents. I hope they find him. Missing men don't get much attention.

Perhaps police can tell who the people were that he was 'talking' with on the computer... trace her isp address.
And the car might have had some fingerprint or dna evidence, if someone else did ditch the car.
Otherwise he has been gone for 7 weeks and no one has heard from him...does not sound good.
Hoping he is found safe.

How in the heck can a car be running 6 days later? That is so friggan weird. Would a car run that long or was someone going to take off in the car and get startled by Police and run?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back