Do we have any verified SAR folks here?

rnmif

Inactive
Reaction score
If so, is it okay to ask if they explain what they know about SAR?

I'm starting to REALLY regret not paying more attention to my son's scoutmaster, who is a volunteer SAR. He was saved by a SAR team, so he is great about teaching the kids about safety, and the importance of SAR. :)

I get my hopes up with these searches, and then we get no news. Maybe this is normal? Maybe it's a time issue?

If there's anyone here who knows about this stuff, I'd love to know more about SAR in general.

Thanks.

Member Sarx is verified SAR. I sent her a message asking her to come to this thread. She is awesome!!

If so, is it okay to ask if they explain what they know about SAR?

I'm starting to REALLY regret not paying more attention to my son's scoutmaster, who is a volunteer SAR. He was saved by a SAR team, so he is great about teaching the kids about safety, and the importance of SAR. :)

I get my hopes up with these searches, and then we get no news. Maybe this is normal? Maybe it's a time issue?

If there's anyone here who knows about this stuff, I'd love to know more about SAR in general.

Thanks.

GrainneDhu has written extensively about her knowledge of SAR on various threads. I found it very helpful. Hopefully she can point you to some of her posts.

P.S. I don't know if she's verified. :)

If you have worked in the SAR field, please contact me to get verified. As far as I know, only SARX is verified.

Isn't Oriah verified? I thought so, but I've been wrong a few times in my life.

I **want** to be SAR (mounted and canine), and am on track to be certified in about 8 years...so until then, I just look, learn, and admire those who are. (To be fair, I ride volunteer mounted patrol on some of the more - "dangerous" trails in my area, but we're just there for 'presence.').

Best-
Herding Cats

Oriah is SAR as far as I know, but hasn't yet been verified. I hope she emails Tricia and becomes verified. Someone want to drop her a PM or email?

Isn't Oriah verified? I thought so, but I've been wrong a few times in my life.

I **want** to be SAR (mounted and canine), and am on track to be certified in about 8 years...so until then, I just look, learn, and admire those who are. (To be fair, I ride volunteer mounted patrol on some of the more - "dangerous" trails in my area, but we're just there for 'presence.').

Best-
Herding Cats

EIGHT YEARS? It takes that long? You could become a physician in that amount of time. I had no idea.
Do you take college classes or are you taught by SAR experts? Wow.

Also, I wonder why TES has not been asked to come and assist in finding Kyron.

Hi All, I'm here and happy to answer any questions. Thanks for pm'ing me Kimster, it's the best way to get my attention for sure!
Oriah is absolutely qualified, as is Justtoseeyousmile, but both are very busy and more often than not out in the field. They are wonderful and full of knowledge as well.
Anyways, what can I help with?

Hi All, I'm here and happy to answer any questions. Thanks for pm'ing me Kimster, it's the best way to get my attention for sure!
Oriah is absolutely qualified, as is Justtoseeyousmile, but both are very busy and more often than not out in the field. They are wonderful and full of knowledge as well.

Daisy7 sent the PM this time, but I'm guilty of calling you in a lot in the past! :blushing:

We'll have to get the other two verified. In the meantime, Oriah and Justtoseeyousmile are welcome to share their expertise here too! :hug:

Sarx, I have a question.

The terrain in these areas where the search is going on for Kyron is very rough. They are going through huge wild blackberry patches which are visible in the pics that Freefallzzzz supplied us and I would think poison oak is another problem.

How do searchers deal with allowing the dogs in those areas when it is almost impassible by humans???

ETA: adding link to pics of the area

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t166/ubrmel/KYRON Search 8 7 2010/?start=0

Sarx, I have a question.

The terrain in these areas where the search is going on for Kyron is very rough. They are going through huge wild blackberry patches which are visible in the pics that Freefallzzzz supplied us and I would think poison oak is another problem.

How do searchers deal with allowing the dogs in those areas when it is almost impassible by humans???

ETA: adding link to pics of the area

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t166/ubrmel/KYRON Search 8 7 2010/?start=0

Dogs are great in these situations for finding the little nucker holes/trails that lead into the bramble. If a child can get into it, so can a dog. Sometimes there are no holes like that, but often humans completely miss them and dogs find them.
I'm not familiar with the details of the case, so not sure what type of dogs they are using. The age of the case is going to make a difference on what type of dogs and how successful they're going to be in those areas.
As for the poison oak, it's not fun, but if my dog says that the MP went through it, I will too, that's why I have cases of Tecnu. Not everyone works that way though.

I guess I just wonder what the significance of this weekend's search is, and that there is no news? Our scout troop lectures about SAR all the time, and.... I've had this free resource in my back yard, and being disabled, I never thought it was relevant to me. I guess it's still not, but I sure wish I'd been paying attention!

I just don't really know much about it, what it entails. I've seen some mention of man hours with a bunch of formulas that made my head spin. :waitasec:

If this isn't too broad a question, can you offer us some insights into what has been going on this weekend? If it is, when I get back tonight I'll do some research and see if I can't pry a more pointed question out of my pea brain. :)

Give me a few to get the back story on the case and then I can be a bit more educated.

Oh sad...
So he went missing 2 months ago. The area where the search took place this wknd, where was it in relation to where he missing?

The area they are searching is not where he would have wandered off. I hate even typing this, but it would most likely mean he is deceased. I fear that his little body could have been tossed in that terrain, so dogs may not be able to get through it. :(

There are a lot of ditches and holes and steep embankments, etc. :(

ETA: That did it. Kimster has tears in her eyes.

Regardless of the area, they are out searching for either evidence or sadly remains. This is going to take area search and trailing dogs out of the equation (unless they happened to have been cross trained in HRD (cadaver) or evidence work.
If he was believed to be abducted it is not likely that they are looking for a trail into the bramble thorn mess that goes very far, more like something thrown or shoved in.
At this point in the investigation the searching should take a much more thorough and systematic approach because they are looking for evidence.

The area they are searching is not where he would have wandered off. I hate even typing this, but it would most likely mean he is deceased. I fear that his little body could have been tossed in that terrain, so dogs may not be able to get through it. :(

There are a lot of ditches and holes and steep embankments, etc. :(

ETA: That did it. Kimster has tears in her eyes.

Even being tossed, dogs may still be able to smell it, 2 months in OR, there will still be a fair amount for them to pick up on. It really depends on the kind of training the dogs have gone through.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back