OH OH - Shaylene Farrell, 18, Piqua, 8 Aug 1994

Kat

Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 1064DFOH

Shaylene Marie Farrell
Missing since August 8, 1994 from Piqua, Miami County, Ohio.
Classification: Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: June 19, 1976
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3"; 135 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Dark brown hair; hazel eyes. Pierced ears.
•Marks, Scars: Brown-colored mole under her lower lip; birthmark on her left thigh above her knee; scar on her right leg above her knee.
•Clothing: Boys' t-shirt with the words "No Fear" in blue lettering on the front and blue Piqua High School shorts. Black sandals.
•Dentals: Available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Farrell was last seen leaving her her family's residence on Haverhill Drive in Piqua, Ohio on August 8, 1994, circa 10.00. She planned to run a quick errand to buy a bottle of ice tea at the nearby Pick-N-Save grocery store in the 1500 block of Covington Avenue, where she had held a part-time job for the past two weeks. She was reported missing after she did not show up for her 19:00 shift at work.

Her mother's silver 1981 Chevrolet Malibu, which she had been driving, was discovered abandoned in the parking lot of the Pick-n-Save on Route 36 later in the day.

Farrell was a senior at Piqua High School in 1994. She has never been seen or heard from again. She did not take any money, clothing, or identification when she disappeared.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Piqua Police Department
937-778-2027
or
937-615-TIPS (8477)

NCIC Number: M-758417397

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/farrell_shaylene.html
Much more info at link above.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/1306/0/
NamUs link above. Dental charting: available, DNA: sample submitted, testing complete.

Shaylene has been missing 16 years today. Come home soon.

Attachments

• farrell_shaylene.jpg
    farrell_shaylene.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 35
  • farrell_shaylene2.jpg
    farrell_shaylene2.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 34
How big is this town she went missing from? Was there a lot of publicity about the case?

Larry Dewayne Hall is a convicted serial killer who lived in Wabash, IN in the 1970s and 80s. Hall traveled all over the Midwest, South, and Eastern U.S. -he was a Civil War re-enactor with a distinctive set of historically accurate sideburns.

Hall would cruise college towns and areas near Civil War battle and Civil War memorial sites, areas associated with the Civil War, etc. looking for victims. He is known to have visited one Revolutionary War site. He is serving life in a southern prison.

He seemed to be attracted to young women with dark (brunette) hair and heights ranging from 62-67 inches.

The link below contains a detailed timeline of LDH whereabouts and lists his known victims and an even longer list of alleged victims.

http://maamodt.asp.radford.edu/Psyc 405/serial killers/Hall, Larry DeWayne.pdf

The above quote from Rainwater was in a recent Websleuths thread about an unidentified female that was found in a farm field in Union County, Indiana in February 1984 near the Indiana-Ohio border.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...m-UP4847-18-26-On-Unplanted-Farm-Field-Feb-84

I happened to notice that the link concerning Larry DeWayne Hall had listed Shaylene Marie Farrell as one of his alleged female victims from Ohio.

Why is she linked to that serial killer? Was he near Piquia Ohio in 1994?

Why is she linked to that serial killer? Was he near Piquia Ohio in 1994?

Larry DeWayne Hall is was attracted to women that had shoulder length dark hair. He was also known to stalk mall parking lots, plazas, and stores looking for his victims.

Shaylene Marie Farrell had shoulder length dark hair and she disappeared from a grocery store parking lot.

I live here in Piqua where Shaylene went missing, and have lived in this county all my life. This is the FIRST TIME I've ever seen or heard of a possible connection to this alleged serial killer Larry Hall... And I look up info on her several times a year to see if there is any new info.

It has been frustrating to me that Shaylene's disappearance wasn't regularly in the news. There were a few articles, but no push for media coverage by anyone, which i suppose is why there were a few rumors around town that a family member may have been involved.

But after reading the above link regarding Hall, this makes complete sense. Piqua used to have a Heritage Festival every Labor Day weekend, which would have been one month after Shaylene's disappearance. This festival had reenactments from the 1800s, and actors who would audition and rehearse prior to the festival...so the timing is spot on.

Here is a link... The festival shut down last year, but was in full swing the year Shaylene went missing: http://m.daytondailynews.com/photo/news/photos/9a35dff883f5ff86cf21b90be477ed4b/pYjsQ/

Bumping for Shaylene. I sent a private message to a local reporter who covers our area for CBS local news on 7/14. Asked him to research this angle and give the family and public some kind of new info as the 22nd anniversary is approaching in August. Haven't heard anything back as of yet.

Nothing on the 22nd anniversary that I've heard on local news. I'm sorry, Shaylene. I feel like our entire community has let you down by not pursuing justice for you, and bringing you home to rest.

I have to admit I'm a little suspicious of the story-I mean, how bad can a person really want a bottle of ice tea? At any rate, I hope she is found and found safe.

I have to admit I'm a little suspicious of the story-I mean, how bad can a person really want a bottle of ice tea? At any rate, I hope she is found and found safe.

It does sound strange, but the store was very close to her house, and she worked there. May have wanted to check the work schedule or see a friend. At that age, I often left the house just to drive and get out for a bit.

It would have taken just a few minutes to get to that store purchase a snack and get back home just walking. There was a corner store a block away from my house growing up in Piqua and anytime I felt like a snack I went with no reservations. Sure sometimes a diet soda IS that important. I will wound a fella for coffee. J/k no I'm not. There is nothing suspicious about her making a run to that store. The fault is on the person who caused her to go missing

What a frustrating case; it feels like there are few clues or theories as to what happened to Shaylene. Bumping for her and hoping that her case can be solved.

Does anyone know if she actually went inside the Pick-N-Save? It looks like fairly large grocery store, I wonder if there was any security footage that was looked at or if any employees or customers saw her that day. I would assume that Shaylene would be fairly well known at the store if she once worked there. Did she arrive and then was abducted or lured from the parking lot? Did she meet someone at the store? Was she grabbed while heading toward her car? Or did she simply use running to the store as an excuse to meet up with someone? So many questions.

Teenage girls don't just vanish. Someone has to know something.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Shaylene Marie Farrell – The Charley Project

Shaylene Marie Farrell
  • shaylene_marie_farrell_1.jpg
  • shaylene_marie_farrell_2.jpg

What a frustrating case; it feels like there are few clues or theories as to what happened to Shaylene. Bumping for her and hoping that her case can be solved.

Does anyone know if she actually went inside the Pick-N-Save? It looks like fairly large grocery store, I wonder if there was any security footage that was looked at or if any employees or customers saw her that day. I would assume that Shaylene would be fairly well known at the store if she once worked there. Did she arrive and then was abducted or lured from the parking lot? Did she meet someone at the store? Was she grabbed while heading toward her car? Or did she simply use running to the store as an excuse to meet up with someone? So many questions.

Teenage girls don't just vanish. Someone has to know something.

Shaylene did work there, and she went there to buy iced tea, when she vanished the only thing left was her car the ice tea her purse and the keys. No leads, nothing

that is a strange coment you just made. youve never been going thru your day to day and say oh wow im in the mood for some chips or a soda or whatever candy, the store was right next to her house, she worked there, she wanted to get ice tea for the house. wht is so suspicious about wanting iced tea?

Nothing on the 22nd anniversary that I've heard on local news. I'm sorry, Shaylene. I feel like our entire community has let you down by not pursuing justice for you, and bringing you home to rest.

ad to say but if thr family or friends dont keep her alive in the media, then they becoe forgotten. you have to push and push and push to keep getting her name out there.

Were her keys in the ignition or lying elsewhere in the car? Did she ever make it to the store?

ETA: apparently she made it if they found the ice tea with her belongings… Wonder how she seemed while in the store. Was she alone? Any odd customers hanging out?

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave