Abductions or Attempted Abductions Involving Schools

Kat010

Former Member
Reaction score
Because we've talked so often about the possibility of someone other than TH abducting Kyron from school, or whether or not the school's arrangements and activities that day were conducive to someone snatching him, I thought I'd open a thread to look at other cases.

How many cases of children being snatched from school, or school grounds, buses, once they get off the bus at the bus stop, or walking to/from school in normally "safe" areas have happened? Will looking at them provide any insights into other potential crimes other than Kyron leaving w/TH?

Discuss! :smiliescale:

Scotty Baker

In the early 1990s, his stepmother's friend disguised herself as the boy's "cousin", and he was allowed to be signed out of school by her. Stepmother later murdered him.

I need to go find the link.

ETA: http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20104652,00.html

The story doesn't give any details about the security at the school, but there is this:

Donnie Baker and Ruth Baker [Scotty's bioparents] are suing the board of education for $12 million for releasing Scotty in Susanne Baker's custody.

I've been hovering around waiting for gliving to get back online. So far, she hasn't.

So, since I opened the thread, I'm going to share this excellent resource she found and sent to me, with big big thanks:

"The search for second-grader Kyron Horman, missing from Portland’s Skyline School, reminds Gresham residents of a similar long night’s search on brushy Gresham Butte 32 years ago for Stacie Wilmoth, a second-grader who vanished from West Gresham School on April 26, 1978.
In Stacie’s case, she was lured to a car by a stranger who met her in the hall at West Gresham as she was headed to the restroom. The man, tall and brown-haired, told her he had some things in his car and that the school principal said she could help."

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/print_story.php?story_id=127604789675353300

http://www.examiner.com/x-32312-Amb...d-by-father-on-school-bus-still-missing-video

Where is Jean Paul Lacombe? A desperate search continues for 10-year-old Jean Paul Lacombe. He was kidnapped by his father, Juan Felipe Lacombe Vega, who lied and forged paperwork to appear as if he had legal custody of his son. A video showing the October 16, 2009 abduction has circulated the web and caused great distress for those who’ve witnessed it. Now, questions are being asked of the Texas authorities as to how they could have let this happen. Jean Paul Lacombe was beyond distraught when authorities removed him, crying in a state of panic and telling the police that he did not want to go with his father.

snip/
"Every year children are abducted near the schools they attend. Preparing your child to know how to respond to events or situations that may result in a kidnapping is the first step to ensuring your child's safety. Here are some tips that may help you to protect your child from getting kidnapped near school.'

Read more: How to Prevent Your Child From Getting Kidnapped Near School | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4851626_child-getting-kidnapped-near-school.html#ixzz0w4ggIQJr

1. A young girl in grade school in or near Portland, who was lured from her elemetary school by a stranger/pedophile. She was raped,beaten and left for dead. A passer by found her. This was 32 years ago. It was discussed here on Kyron's forum.

2. Etan Patz, aged 5, was lured by his babysitter's boyfriend, who was a pedophile. Etan was going to his school bus alone for the first time, and the pedo was waiting for him in his car. This was in 1979 in Manhattan. Lots of people around ; no one ever remembered seeing Etan getting in the guy's car... Etan was never seen alive again.

3. Ashley Pond and Miranda Gaddis of Oregon City, were both lured from their school bus stop. On seperate occasions, but by the same killer, his house was very close to the bus stop...

4. Sommer Thompson, aged 7, was lured and killed by an unregistered sex offender,as she walked home from school. She had ran ahead a few blocks from her siblings ; she was not far from her school ....

5. A cold case I read about, sorry, do not know the little girls name. She was abducted after she got off her school bus and never seen again... There were reports of a van idling by the bus. It was before the days of cameras on schoolbuses...

Ad,I'm sure, there are lots of others....

IMO, just like Willie Sutton said that he robbed banks because " that's where the money is " , so do pedophiles troll in and around schools,because that's where the kids are....

All JMO

Jaycee Dugard

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnapping_of_Jaycee_Lee_Dugard[/ame]

From the FBI:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2194/is_4_70/ai_75959748/pg_6/

"The relationship between offenders and victims also changes dramatically for school-age children with most cases perpetrated by acquaintances or strangers. This trend becomes more evident in older school-age children where stranger abductions predominate. Again, changes in victim access, physical maturity, and vulnerability appear to be primarily responsible. When children reach school age, they often acquire more independence and mobility. They become exposed to new environments and situations, often without the guidance and supervision of their parents or primary caregivers. In these situations, they become more accessible to nonfamily offenders who find them physically mature enough to be sexually desirable and vulnerable enough to be easily controlled and exploited. Thus, while younger children are victimized more often by family members and acquaintances in protected circumstances, acquaintances or strangers seeking sexual gratification typically abduct older, more physically mature children outside of the home."

Last year my daughter's brownie troop did an experiment. These were 1st grade girls at a local park. A man with a camera came up to them individually on the playground and said he was with the newspaper and wanted to take their picture. He asked the little girl to follow him to his car because the light was better there for the picture. EVERY SINGLE GIRL FOLLOWED HIM. A couple even held his hand. No other unrelated parents did a thing. All of us moms who were secretly watching cried.

I will never forget the murders of the Ernest and Alice Brendel and their 8-year-old daughter Emily in Barrington, Rhode Island by in 1991.

Christopher Hightower first killed Ernest at the Brendel's home. Then he called Emily's school, identified himself as Ernest, and said Emily was to walk home from school. The principal called the Brendel home to confirm, but there was no answer. So the principal sent Emily to the after-school program at the YMCA as usual.

Hightower went to the school to dismiss Emily. The principal refused because he wasn't listed on her records as an alternate pick up person that year. (He had been in previous years.)

Hightower drove to the YMCA and told the director of the afer-school program that he was there to pick up Emily. The program director did not release her because she didn't have any instructions from the parents to do so.

Half an hour later, Hightower called the YMCA, said he was Ernest Brendel, and told them he was giving Christopher Hightower permission to pick up Emily. He said he'd give his friend Hightower his driver's license as identification.

Hightower returned to the Y with Ernest's license. Emily was allowed to go with him. He buried her alive. He then killed her mother when she came home from work.

I lived nearby at the time and had young nieces and nephews. This case has stayed with me, almost 20 years later.

It just shows that even when schools and childcare programs have systems in place to prevent abduction, and the system is followed rigorously, a determined, persistent, sinister person can find a way around it.

Last year my daughter's brownie troop did an experiment. These were 1st grade girls at a local park. A man with a camera came up to them individually on the playground and said he was with the newspaper and wanted to take their picture. He asked the little girl to follow him to his car because the light was better there for the picture. EVERY SINGLE GIRL FOLLOWED HIM. A couple even held his hand. No other unrelated parents did a thing. All of us moms who were secretly watching cried.

WOW. I'd cry too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back