Cesar Laurean's Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laurean trial begins, recessed after 30 minutes

WAYNE COUNTY, NC (WECT) – The trial for former Camp Lejeune Marine Cesar Laurean began in Wayne County Monday.

He is facing first degree murder charges in the death of his pregnant colleague Cpl. Maria Lauterbach.

According to WITN, Laurean only spent about 30 minutes inside the courtroom on the first day of his trial as a judge took care of some "housekeeping" items.

The trial will continue Tuesday morning at 9:30.

more at http://www.wect.com/Global/story.asp?S=12948418

Thanks for starting the new thread. I only have one question, why isn't this under trials in the news?

It would have to be moved by a moderator or admin. :)

Ok, I sent a pm to the moderator for help. Thanks again for starting this thread. We have waited for over two years for this trial.

Finally, he is going to trial!
Everything has been so quiet about him.
Is it on TV?

Ok, I sent a pm to the moderator for help. Thanks again for starting this thread. We have waited for over two years for this trial.
You're most welcome! And yes, over two years. Hopefully Maria and her baby will have justice soon. :prayer:

Well, I clicked on WRAL for live feed and only got a promise that it would be carried live once opening statements begin.

I had posted in the other thread that Anne Lauterbach (Maria's sister) has given permission for anyone who is on Facebook to change their profile pics to a pic of Maria to show support for the family. I changed mine and so has Anne and several of Maria's friends.

I'm highly interested in what the wife knew and when... and why she is still married to the dude.

I guess we will see a live trial after jury is seated and the actual trial begins? I hope so. Too bad the death penalty is off the table. I'm curious as to how the defense will defend him. I wonder if they will cast suspicion onto his wife. He claimed Maria died by cutting her own throat the autopsy states by blunt force trauma to the head. The Defense really has their job cut out for them on this one.

No link yet but I'll update ASAP. WTVD reports that jury selection was in process and a jury is expected to be seated by Thursday or Friday. Come onnnnn and hurry now - we need some JUSTICE!!!!

Checking in to see if there was going to be live coverage, YAY. :)

Jury selection underway in Cesar Laurean murder trial

GOLDSBORO, N.C. -- Jury selection has wrapped up on the second day of the Cesar Laurean murder trial. On Monday, attorney's for both sides said it would be difficult to find a juror who had not heard about Laurean or the woman he is accused of killing, Maria Lauterbach.
On Tuesday, questions for potential jurors focused heavily on media coverage and that's because when this case first broke in 2007, it gained local and national attention. The trial was moved from Onslow County to Wayne County to ensure Laurean gets a fair trial. But attorney's from both sides say just knowing about the case isn't enough to keep someone out of the jury box.
"We are pleasantly surprised with the questions that went on this morning. I was anticipating there would be more jurors that had formed an opinion," said Dewey Hudson, Onslow County District Attorney.
"I think it's progressing,” said Dick McNeil, Laurean’s attorney. “It's not surprising that quite a few people here haven't heard about it as much as they would have in Onslow County."

more at http://www2.wnct.com/news/2010/aug/...nderway-in-cesar-laurean-murder-tr-ar-328376/

Judge ruled witnesses sequestered

(excerpt)

"The defendant’s wife, Christina Laurean, is last on a list of 128 witnesses made public by prosecutors Monday morning. McNeil said he has a witness list of 20 or so names. He has filed the list with the court, but it has not yet been added to the public file.

McNeil has filed an unanswered motion seeking spousal privilege in the case, meaning the state would be unable to compel Christina Laurean to testify about private conversations she had with her husband.

The state has subpoenaed around two dozen Marines who knew either Cesar Laurean or Maria Lauterbach or both. Marine Sgt. Daniel Durham let Lauterbach move in with him into his Hunter’s Creek home after she said she was harassed aboard Camp Lejeune in the fall of 2007. He is expected to testify about a note Lauterbach left behind when she disappeared in December 2007. His girlfriend Jennifer Perry is also named on the witness list.

Another Marine, Cpl. Dennis Ward, is set to testify about handing over to authorities a crowbar he says Laurean gave to him to keep in December 2007. Authorities believe the crowbar is the murder weapon and have run DNA tests on the tool.

Ward is the person shown on Lowe’s Home Improvement surveillance video from Dec. 24, 2007, shopping with Laurean for cinderblocks, paint and a wheel barrel."

article at http://www.jdnews.com/articles/laurean-81392-today-cesar.html

Thanks for the new thread. I am so glad the trial is finally here. May justice be done. Gosh darn it I will be away all next week with my adorable hubby on our anniversary vacation.

While some seem to think he killed Maria because he thought the baby was his, I think the opposite was his motive.

I think once she came there they got into a highly accusatory argument about Maria accusing him of raping her and him being the father of her baby.

In Cesar's mind, imo, he thought she already HAD damaged his career and marriage.

I have always felt that this case was a crime of passion. Tension building up for many many months where it wouldn't take but a tiny spark to ignite the explosion.

Imo, someone said something to fuel the flames, then the other one said something, and everything escalated into raw rage.

IMO and speculation.

Hey Ocean, great post. It's good to see you here.

It's heartbreaking what he did to her body.........and the babies.
I'll never forget the roasting hot dog part!
IMO, wife KNEW!
A husband ardly ever VOLUNTEERS to do so much painting etc.
Building a fire pit.....busy man........no help??? JMOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member