kyron's vanishing is termed by Le, an "isolated case" ~~revisited

nursebeeme

Reaction score
My number one hangup (and reason for starting this thread) is that LE, from pretty much go said that parents need not worry as this was an isolated case. This tells me that they had to have some sort of info from early on in the case. They have never said anything other than this to lead us to believe that other children are at immediate risk in the area.

What does "isolated case" mean to you?

Where are you at in your reasoning of what may have happened under this umbrella of 'isolated case'?

Isolated because of the location it happened (semi closed circuit like a school)

or

Isolated because it ropes back to the person who was last seen with him (terri moulton horman)?

Authorities said they believe Kyron's disappearance is an isolated case and addressed parental concerns over safety by urging them to keep their same routines. http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/kyron_hormans_disappearance_be.html

Authorities said they believe Kyron's disappearance is an isolated case and addressed parental concerns over safety by urging them to keep their same routines.

Parents should educate their children about safety and "stranger danger," said Capt. Jason Gates with the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office, but he noted that investigators have no evidence of a crime committed in Kyron's case. http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewiStockNews/articleid/4192746

olice have not discussed a polygraph test or its results, and have not described Terri Horman as a suspect or person of interest in the disappearance of her stepson Kyron, who went missing more than two weeks ago.

However, when authorities called off major search operations and announced that they did not believe anyone else in the Oregon community was in danger http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/kyron-horman-stepmother-polygraph/story?id=10964865

there are more... these are just a few

kidnapping is isolated case (MOO)

Veering off topic, but why do we warn kids to stay away from strangers when most of the time it's relatives/clergy/coaches/teachers/scout leaders/etc they need to be afraid of? :banghead:

Well it is isolated so far...it has not happened again.

I have said it before, and I will say it again...

I would be surprised if we don't start hearing from parents at Skyline. If the police tell me my child's school is safe and an "isolated incidence" then I expect an arrest/acknowledgement of the POI/suspect.

IMO the longer the LE wait to name their suspect/poi (read TH) the harder it is going to be for parents of Skyline to believe it was an 'isolated incidence'...which IMO puts a lot of pressure on the school district and LE to get things down quickly.

If the first most parents are hearing about an adult in the truck and a possible man in the school is now, when we are hearing it, I would be concerned, if I had children in that or another nearby school. They may be having a press conference to try to put any new fears to rest again. But I think they really, really need a resolution or at least charges, before those doors open again.

Yes, they said they believed it was an isolated case, but also said they couldn't rule out a stranger.

IOW, they have no freakin' clue. They don't want public panic.

And even in stranger abductions, when was the last time you heard of one where a child was kidnapped and then that suspect kidnapped another child in proximity (of time and place)?

So to me, an "isolated incident" only means that they don't think a spree killer is on the loose grabbing kids from public places.

I posted about this in the MMC thread. I think now that the email has come out with TH insinuating some strange man came into the school posing as a chaperone at the same time Kyron went missing, LE and/or Skyline NEED to address this ASAP. LE claims the community has nothing to worry about and Skyline seems to be glossing over the fact a child went missing from inside their school. There needs to start being some explanations about why LE is so sure this is "isolated"

Yes, they said they believed it was an isolated case, but also said they couldn't rule out a stranger.

IOW, they have no freakin' clue. They don't want public panic.

And even in stranger abductions, when was the last time you heard of one where a child was kidnapped and then that suspect kidnapped another child in proximity (of time and place)?

So to me, an "isolated incident" only means that they don't think a spree killer is on the loose grabbing kids from public places.

BBM --

True, but I think the parents and community deserve to know if a stranger came into Skyline and left unnoticed with one of the students. Chaotic day or not, it's their duty to notify the parents and community.

One of our members, lukne, says they have kids who go to Skyline. lukne refers to this as a "family tragedy" from the information they've been given. I'd be furious if my kids went there and I've been led to believe TH did this, only to find out it was indeed a strange man in the school that day allowed to leave with this child.

I posted about this in the MMC thread. I think now that the email has come out with TH insinuating some strange man came into the school posing as a chaperone at the same time Kyron went missing, LE and/or Skyline NEED to address this ASAP. LE claims the community has nothing to worry about and Skyline seems to be glossing over the fact a child went missing from inside their school. There needs to start being some explanations about why LE is so sure this is "isolated"

I think you make an excellent point. Now that TH's own email has been released to the public indicating an unauthorized male chaperone, LE will HAVE to address this point as to why there never any warning or question about this mysterious person. IOW, I believe that will be addressed tomorrow. My guess anyway is that they will HAVE to say to all the parents (if they haven't already) disregard TH's email as it is just so much BS and here's why.

The community there does not seem to be in a panic. I have a feeling that while there is a lot of concern for Kyron, there is not a lot for the safety of the kids there in general. I bet also that Skyline will be announcing tighter security measures (or already has) to the parents of the students.
I don't think LE needs to announce anything, at this point.

BBM --

True, but I think the parents and community deserve to know if a stranger came into Skyline and left unnoticed with one of the students. Chaotic day or not, it's their duty to notify the parents and community.

One of our members, lukne, says they have kids who go to Skyline. lukne refers to this as a "family tragedy" from the information they've been given. I'd be furious if my kids went there and I've been led to believe TH did this, only to find out it was indeed a strange man in the school that day allowed to leave with this child.

To play devil's advocate (which might if TH is guilty be an apt description-but alas I digress).

As a parent would you feel hinky (to borrow a word) :sick:, or :furious:, or :crazy: if you were told that this woman who was at the school (for more than drop-offs and pickups) and had contact with your child on an almost daily bases was then accused of hurting HER step-child? That the school allowed a woman like that to be around your child...

does that make sense? It does in my head...but :banghead:

My number one hangup (and reason for starting this thread) is that LE, from pretty much go said that parents need not worry as this was an isolated case. This tells me that they had to have some sort of info from early on in the case. They have never said anything other than this to lead us to believe that other children are at immediate risk in the area.

Where are you at in your reasoning of what may have happened under this umbrella of 'isolated case'?

Isolated because of the location it happened (semi closed circuit like a school)

or

Isolated because it ropes back to the person who was last seen with him (terri moulton horman)?

BBM: In a recent Canadian Abduction, Victoria Stafford was seen walking away from her school with a female who lured her (the woman looked ALOT like Victoria's mother). This was filmed on video. LE did not issue an amber alert, they took 2 weeks to even call it an abduction, and stated that it was an isolated incident.

When LE released the sketch of the woman, as composed via witnesses, public opinion by the vast number of people on the Family's Facebook Group (100,000 people), was that the sketch looked ALOT like the mother. It also looked ALOT like Victoria's mother's friend.

The video itself was released a couple of days after Victoria went missing. The sketch was released a few weeks after Victoria went missing. Victoria's mother, family and LE held numerous press conferences, almost every day.

2 People, a male and a female, were arrested 6 weeks after Victoria's Abduction. They were not related to Victoria.

Victoria Stafford's remains were found almost 2 months after the arrest of the 2 accused.

There is still some public speculation that the mother is involved in the disappearance of her daughter (NOT by myself). Simply because SO many people were CONVINCED it was the mother who took her (or had her taken).

I will wait and see what happens tomorrow in Kyron's case. LE has known of the information on the 2nd Adult sighting in the truck since the beginning of the case, IMO.

I will NOT forget what happened in Victoria's case.

While LE specifically releases certain information at certain times, in the order they see fit, we can't possibly begin to really understand (without knowing the finer details).

Where is Kyron???

I have said it before, and I will say it again...

I would be surprised if we don't start hearing from parents at Skyline. If the police tell me my child's school is safe and an "isolated incidence" then I expect an arrest/acknowledgement of the POI/suspect.

IMO the longer the LE wait to name their suspect/poi (read TH) the harder it is going to be for parents of Skyline to believe it was an 'isolated incidence'...which IMO puts a lot of pressure on the school district and LE to get things down quickly.

My sentiments, exactly, and I posted about this previously. If I were a Skyline parent, my concern for my child/children's safety would be weighing heavily on my mind right about now. School starts in about a month, and I'd like to believe that LE is absolutely certain that there isn't a child predator out there when classes resume. The enhanced security measures that the school will enforce is a step in the right direction, but I'm not sure that's enough under these puzzling circumstances. jmo

My sentiments, exactly, and I posted about this previously. If I were a Skyline parent, my concern for my child/children's safety would be weighing heavily on my mind right about now. School starts in about a month, and I'd like to believe that LE is absolutely certain that there isn't a child predator out there when classes resume. The enhanced security measures that the school will enforce is a step in the right direction, but I'm not sure that's enough under these puzzling circumstances. jmo

It IS possible that all the school parents, teachers, etc., have been reassured already by LE and told to be quiet
about it. That may be exactly why we haven't heard much from any of them.

To play devil's advocate (which might if TH is guilty be an apt description-but alas I digress).

As a parent would you feel hinky (to borrow a word) :sick:, or :furious:, or :crazy: if you were told that this woman who was at the school (for more than drop-offs and pickups) and had contact with your child on an almost daily bases was then accused of hurting HER step-child? That the school allowed a woman like that to be around your child...

does that make sense? It does in my head...but :banghead:

How the heck is the school supposed to know that this woman would hurt her step-kid? The answer is no. I would feel grossed out that a potential murderer was anywhere near my child or me, even though there would be no reasons for either me or my kid to be a target, but I could not possibly blame the school. You can't predict or prevent everything.

It IS possible that all the school parents, teachers, etc., have been reassured already by LE and told to be quiet

With all the leaks in this case? I highly doubt that...

Perhaps each of the hundreds of parents have been reassured and are keeping silent, but the question for me is, how can LE be so confident? I'm quite sure they did not think they would still be at this point, more than two months in, back when they assured everyone it was an "isolated incident" and that no one should be unduly concerned.

How the heck is the school supposed to know that this woman would hurt her step-kid? The answer is no. I would feel grossed out that a potential murderer was anywhere near my child or me, even though there would be no reasons for either me or my kid to be a target, but I could not possibly blame the school. You can't predict or prevent everything.

BBM

Given that Terri's husband didn't suspect that Terri posed a danger to Kyron, I can't see how Skyline school was suppose to know.

Portland Public Schools runs a background check on all volunteers.

I suppose that schools could ban all volunteers, but given that this is the only case I have heard of in which someone who volunteers might have been responsible for the disappearance of a child (her stepson) from a school, I think that would be a foolish policy.

or

In this particular situation, "isolated case" means (to me) that LE had sufficient information early on regarding the family to believe that Kyron's disappearance was the result of a sensitive issue, i.e. custody, and involved only a select group of individuals. There seem to be a lot of "secrets" among the family members in this case and so much that we've not been privy to at this juncture. When some of the "mystery" is unraveled, we will be better able to understand exactly what is going on here. jmo

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back