DeDe requiring immunity to talk to the Grand Jury?

Can't the GJ compel someone to testify? Even if they just plead the 5th? DDS seems like a key piece of the puzzle, and I think it would be a mistake to let her slide. I'm just hoping cell phone (and hopefully video i.e. from stores/roadways) will be enough to bring some sort of charges against her, not to mention conspiracy after the fact. . . .

I'm also jaded by her smirk/smugness as she was taped leaving the courthouse that day. Poor little Kyron!

I honestly never expected her to talk without immunity. :twocents:

jmho

Can't the GJ compel someone to testify? Even if they just plead the 5th? DDS seems like a key piece of the puzzle, and I think it would be a mistake to let her slide. I'm just hoping cell phone (and hopefully video i.e. from stores/roadways) will be enough to bring some sort of charges against her, not to mention conspiracy after the fact. . . .

I'm also jaded by her smirk/smugness as she was taped leaving the courthouse that day. Poor little Kyron!

What can the GJ do if she's resolutely pleads the 5th?

I've read how the GJ is supposed to work,, but I'm still confused.. Maybe this is the reason for today's PC... To try and place DS around the school and in Fred Meyers parking lot without her having to testify to that...
If they can connect her to being with TH, they can bring charges against her...
I'm having trouble trying to get my point across... :(

From what I understand, her lawyer needs to negotiate the immunity but the grand jury holds the right to refuse it.

This was not her attorney saying this just so you know. It's a deceiving article IMHO.

I've read how the GJ is supposed to work,, but I'm still confused.. Maybe this is the reason for today's PC... To try and place DS around the school and in Fred Meyers parking lot without her having to testify to that...

You made sense! Good point! It seems like there's been a lot of pressure put on Terri and DeDe and makes sense that today's PC is just one more step.

She can ask for immunity all she wants but it still would need to be granted. If they can get more information that is solid and implicates her without a doubt, I bet no immunity will be granted at all. I hope that makes sense?

I understand, I think :waitasec:
It seems to me that DeDe may be giving bits and pieces of information either based on "I was there" statements, or statements from Terri herself. For some strange reason I believe that DeDe's part in this was either swapping vehicles with Terri, or babysitting for her while she did whatever with Kyron. I do think the last thing LE wants to do is give her immunity. However, my understanding with limited immunity is that they cannot use her words against her, but if they find evidence that suggests her part in criminal activity, she can still be charged.

I honestly never expected her to talk without immunity. :twocents:

jmho

Hey you, there you are!! Well, I can only think it means she must be worth immunity if they give it to her. I can only hope.

Kinda freaks me out too.., that her dad is involved with LE... I feel bad for him, he didn't walk close to his daughter when they exited the courthouse...He had his head hung low... Also, DS had a logo in the back of her vehicle that said "Multnomah search and rescue" and then it was removed later.....Hhhhmmm... and what does she need immunity against..??? I'll never forget that pic. of her coming out of the courthouse..(that decietful grin).... :(

This is a link with the most frequent questions regarding a GJ and a short paragraph I copied regarding immunity. The entire page is very interesting. moo

http://www.abanet.org/media/faqjury.html

What is a grant of immunity?

A grant of immunity to a grand jury witness overcomes the witness's privilege against self-incrimination, and the witness is then required to testify. The prosecutor is prohibited from using that testimony or leads from it to bring charges against the witness. If a subsequent prosecution is brought, the prosecutor bears the burden of proving that all of its evidence was obtained independent of the immunized testimony. In practice, it is difficult to successfully prosecute someone for criminal activity they discussed in immunized testimony unless the prosecution had a fully prepared case before immunity was granted.

Many states grant the witness "transactional immunity," barring prosecution for a transaction discussed in the immunized testimony regardless of whether there are independent sources of evidence.

What protection does a target have against witnesses lying to the grand jury, or against the use of unconstitutionally obtained evidence?

None. The target's only redress is to challenge the evidence at trial. One of the reasons a witness may assert the Fifth Amendment is that he or she does not know if the prosecutor has presented witnesses who have lied. The witness cannot risk testifying contrary to those witnesses, for fear of being charged with perjury if the prosecutor does not believe his or her testimony.

She can ask for immunity all she wants but it still would need to be granted. If they can get more information that is solid and implicates her without a doubt, I bet no immunity will be granted at all. I hope that makes sense?

Well, right, but there's no point to asking for immunity unless you have something really big to hide. I can kind of see them giving her immunity, otherwise they wouldn't be talking about it. But they'll know if what she has to give up is worth it-----they won't give it in exchange for a theory.

Makes perfect sense to me as it appears that may be the route they are taking.
I mean what if there is a possibility of deep involvement?
Too big for immunity. :cow:

jmho

It's good news if DD wants immunity because that means she knows something. Hopefully it's a lot more than just that Terri was upset that morning and DD lied to investigators about that or purchased a bat phone.

Hey you, there you are!! Well, I can only think it means she must be worth immunity if they give it to her. I can only hope.

Hey right back to you.
I originally thought the involvement might be small but very pertinent to what happened that day.
Now not so much.
It appears to me it is very heavy duty involvement.

:cow:

Great way to put it... I bet all that DS is hearing right now is...tick, tick, tick.. because, "source" leaked that she is wanting immunity... My gut is saying..too late.. We will find witnesses and you can go down with her...!!:croc:

Hey right back to you.
I originally thought the involvement might be small but very pertinent to what happened that day.
Now not so much.
It appears to me it is very heavy duty involvement.

:cow:

Yeah, yeah---me too! This is big time! She's at the point where she's thinking she'd better save herself because it's all coming undone anyhow. Atleast that's what I think. They don't give immunity for little itty bitty stuff.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back