Crew takes baby slapped by mom aboard plane

Good for the flight attendant. She did the right thing. I don't agree with whoever it was that said it probably calmed down the situation. I'm sure the parents weren't too happy when the baby was taken from them. Of course, maybe they were as they wouldn't have to deal with the crying child for the rest of the flight.

I love it when strangers just step in and do the right thing when it involves a child.

:clap: for that flight attendant..it does take a village and glad someone stepped up...as if smacking a crying child will make them stop! :furious:JMHO

Woot Woot!! Go flight attendant!! In the air, we are on the airlines turf and their rules apply. I know, some people are so stupid to think slapping a child who is already crying wil make them stop. There is no need to ever slap any child!!!

The mother should be glad I was not on the plane because I would have b**** slapped her!! No joke. I have no tolerance for stupidity.

poor baby! flying is uncomfortable for everyone and babies are no exception! their little ears may be even more sensitive to the cabin pressure. the child was probably already in pain and the slap made things even worse :furious:

idiotic parents - hope CPS met them when they landed too

yay for the flight attendant!

Why would someone slap a 1 yo? I don't get it.

I hope those parents don't do worse behind closed doors.

JMHO
fran

Good Lord, I would have thought the old adage of "Stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about" would have died out years ago. As if it would work for a baby, anyway. It's good to see parents with sense out there (read as sarcastic).

I just read (someplace, can't recall where) that the mother has stated she slapped the baby because the baby (13 m.o.!) had kicked her. How's that for a grownup response?

I just read (someplace, can't recall where) that the mother has stated she slapped the baby because the baby (13 m.o.!) had kicked her. How's that for a grownup response?

How old is this mom, 12?? Who slaps a baby anyway, and who slaps a child for something like that? So what will the child learn? At that age, all a child "learns" is that there is no trust. A child that age isn't kicking out of spite; a child that age is kicking because she's upset and out of control. Parents who hit babies just teach them that when they feel like that, there is nobody to help them feel secure and loved. This is what my vague memory has dredged up from my college child psychology class, anyway.

I think it sounds like mom has issues and this isn't going to remain an "isolated incident" if she doesn't get them figured out.

http://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/101001424.html

Southwest Airlines flight attendant Beverly McCurley reported taking the child from the mother during Monday's flight after seeing the child slapped on the face and hearing passengers complain.

McCurley also told authorities the child had a black eye.

Both parents told aviation police the black eye came from a dog bite a few days earlier. The mother said an uncle, who had medical training in the military, treated the injury.
McCurley told the officers she saw the mother hit the child on the face with her open hand while the father yelled at the mother to stop screaming at the girl.

McCurley described the mother as agitated with the child, said the woman also slapped the baby on the legs and told the child to shut up.

McCurley said she took the baby and walked to the rear of the plane. She said the father came back, took the child and stood there with her until she fell asleep.

The father told the attendant the parents had several arguments about the mother hitting the child, according to the report.

See, now, I'm really thinking that LE/social services should have stepped in and NOT dismissed this as an isolated case. The father admits that the mother hits the child; strangers witnessed it; the child had a bruise on the face. That the father admitted this much to a stranger tells me that there is probably more going on than he is willing to admit out loud to anybody.

I would feel so much better if this was investigated further and not dismissed so quickly. It sounds like the mom has anger issues. This isn't an unruly toddler or out-of-control kid. This is an infant, barely a year old.

This IS one of those moments where hindsight is 20/20 only we are witnessing the red flags, please lets not have this one slip through the system, get that baby away from her.

Come on, this is 2010 and we are still day in and day out reading and seeing children killed by their mothers (a term i use very loosely), the attendant, Lord bless her, did the right thing.

I can see them leaving baby at home if there is going to be mandatory parenting classes and maybe even a complete evaluation up by a physician (physical and mental), these seem like such simple solutions to this problem that is becoming more and more the "norm".

In my own personal experience being a grown woman is that men don't like to share thier personal business, at least my other half doesn't like too. I would automatically assume this to be the start of something serious with the Dad admitting to personal issues with a complete stranger. Maybe he was just venting, I'm in no way judging but this is the warning sign we always discuss that was missed.

I wish the best for this family....

This is where the flight attendant should have used customer service skills from Steven Slater/Jet Blue! As soon as that jet landed, they should have opened the emergency door, plunged them down an emergency chute, with police there to arrest them for child abuse as they slid down the chute...Poor Baby!!

I am really hoping that, although they let them go at that time, there will be a report forwarded to their hometown for a check-in later. The husbands comments really concern me. Clearly, this doesn't seem to be the first time she hit the child, which means it certainly won't be the last. Why is this woman slapping an infant? How many times has she done this? I'm very concerned that this situation will continue to escalate until the baby is seriously injured.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back