CO - Escapee Douglas Alward serving time for attempted murder

KaylynnCouture

Reaction score
Authorities Monday were searching for an inmate convicted of attempted murder and other crimes who escaped from a maximum security prison in northeast Colorado.

Douglas J. Alward, 48, fled from the Sterling Correctional Facility sometime after 9 p.m. Sunday
, the Colorado Department of Corrections said.

Prison authorities and officers from Sterling, Logan County and the state patrol were involved in the manhunt, said Katherine Sanguinetti, the public relations director at the prison about 100 miles northeast of Denver.

Alward was serving a 20- to- 40-year sentence for attempted murder, assault, burglary and kidnapping. He would have been eligible for parole in October, Sanguinetti said. He had been "following the rules" and worked his way to a classification considered just below the minimum risk, she said.

Sanguinetti declined to disclose how the escape occurred but stressed that Alward couldn't have simply walked away because of rigid security.

"He escaped from a secure perimeter," she said.

Sanguinetti told The Associated Press that Alward was last seen shortly after 9 p.m. and didn't appear for a routine roll-call an hour later.

The 6-foot-1 Alward is white with a shaved head and weighs 152 pounds. Officials said he could be wearing dark green prison-issue clothing or gray sweats and a white shirt.

Alward has a prison record dating back to 1979, according to the corrections department. In July 1991 he escaped from custody in Freemont County by overpowering a guard with the help of another inmate. He was recaptured in Oregon after he had kidnapped a man and shot at a policeman.

Snipped from http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/2...rder-escapes-colorado-prison/?test=latestnews

This guy sounds really dangerous. I hope he's caught quickly.

I am reading too much between the lines here perhaps, but if he did not just walk away due to the secure perimeter, then what are they trying to say. I know they are not commenting on how it happened, but makes it sounds like it could be an inside job. I hope not.

Where did you see that they suspect he is still in the Sterling area?

"He escaped from a secure perimeter," she said.

Does that strike anyone else as a stupid thing to say when someone has just escaped? Clearly it wasn't quite that secure.

I am reading too much between the lines here perhaps, but if he did not just walk away due to the secure perimeter, then what are they trying to say. I know they are not commenting on how it happened, but makes it sounds like it could be an inside job. I hope not.

Where did you see that they suspect he is still in the Sterling area?

It was in the second link/post I made..

"She said that Alward is believed to still be in the Sterling area. How Alward escaped is part of an on-going investigation, she added."

Link: http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_15866668

Does that strike anyone else as a stupid thing to say when someone has just escaped? Clearly it wasn't quite that secure.

Yeah, that's what i was thinking as well.

Also, for someone who supposedly had good behavior, it's rather stupid to escape 2 months before your parole hearing is set to take place..

Although he evidently has quite a history of escape too. Wonder what made him suddenly get the urge now?!!! His number was jammed too in a few years, this is an odd one. I will tell you, there is not too big a manhunt going on, went to town and it is normal, no extra cops from what I could see.

However they are sure putting it on the news lots lots lots....getting the word out. I hope he has not invaded someones home. This is concerning.

Yup, got the call on my voice mail, did not wake up for it. However my son woke me up as he was coming home from work and was afraid to leave his car and come in. So, been up since middle of the night. From what I am hearing, all rumors, he has been seen and they are actively hunting him right now. He is on foot.

Although he evidently has quite a history of escape too. Wonder what made him suddenly get the urge now?!!! His number was jammed too in a few years, this is an odd one. I will tell you, there is not too big a manhunt going on, went to town and it is normal, no extra cops from what I could see.

However they are sure putting it on the news lots lots lots....getting the word out. I hope he has not invaded someones home. This is concerning.

hi Portabella

could you explain the line I bolded? I don't know what that means ... TIA

When an inmate is in prison he has an estimated Parole eligibility date, then he as a release date, when he is totally off paper, meaning no parole needed. When an inmate is not granted parole and reaches his discharge date, he has jammed his number. He is a free man with no supervision upon his release, just gets to walk out free as a bird, Time Served.

What's the terrain like around the prison?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Tejas1821
Back