200 women and babies gang-raped near Congo UN base

Missizzy

Reaction score
Is there no end is sight? My heart just breaks over and over. "No fighting, no death"? Merely death of the soul.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100823...5bl9tb3N0X3BvcHVsYXIEc2xrA3NvbWUyMDB3b21lbg--

Some 200 women gang-raped near Congo UN base

"Rwandan and Congolese rebels gang-raped nearly 200 women and some baby boys over four days within miles of a U.N. peacekeepers' base in an eastern Congo mining district, an American aid worker and a Congolese doctor said Monday...."

and

"There was no fighting and no deaths, Cragin said, just "lots of pillaging and the systematic raping of women."

Four young boys also were raped, said Dr. Kasimbo Charles Kacha, the district medical chief. Masudi said they were babies aged one month, six months, a year and 18 months.

"Many women said they were raped in their homes in front of their children and husbands, and many said they were raped repeatedly by three to six men," Cragin said. Others were dragged into the nearby forest.

International and local health workers have treated 179 women but the number raped could be much higher as terrified civilians still are hiding, he said...."

more at link
"We keep going back and identifying more and more cases," he said. "Many of the women are returning from the forest naked, with no clothes....."

Why do they not arm these woman? Why do they have to suffer over and over again?

The usa(CIA) can arm the taliban and al-queda but yet cannot give these people the means to save their lives.

This is a UN Peacekeeping base, with armed soldiers. There are 179 reported rapes, but the numbers could be twice that. These women and children were attacked in front of their families, and I think we have covered how calculated this is given the culture in the region.

Now there is a CYA going on-when was the base notified? On August 6 says one source and August 12 says the base. Sigh.

This is disgraceful and disgusting!!! What kind of vile creatures would do this?!?! All those women....and those BABIES?!?!? Has the world gone completely insane?!?!

What bothers me is if you take into consideration the movement of 400+ armed men in this area of the world-how would the base NOT know that within 19 miles of them was a terroristic group armed to the teeth and taking 4 days to rape and pillage this group of people? If I were them, I would be very very worried about their intelligence gathering network. JMO.

Can someone explain for me exactly what this systematic rape of every woman in the Congo is supposed to accomplish for their war mission? I truly do not understand it as a war tactic. I know from reading articles that it stigmatizes the women who are raped and they are often turned from their homes, but what exactly is supposed to be the ultimate goal in this??? The complete collapse of the country? Is that what they are aiming for? No more women in the country?

IWannaKnow--Didn't you post on another thread concerning some sort of protection for women against this sort of thing? I can't find the info and was wondering if you still had it.

ITA--Just what is the point? Or is there one?

Can someone explain for me exactly what this systematic rape of every woman in the Congo is supposed to accomplish for their war mission? I truly do not understand it as a war tactic. I know from reading articles that it stigmatizes the women who are raped and they are often turned from their homes, but what exactly is supposed to be the ultimate goal in this??? The complete collapse of the country? Is that what they are aiming for? No more women in the country?

It is twofold-in this part of the world, women are the glue to the society. Break the backs of the women, and society cannot continue. The bonus as well is ethnic cleansing to an extent-some of these women will get pregnant and will give birth. Changing the blood line of the people in these areas.

ETA: I need to complete the thought, sorry. If the rebels wipe out the resistance piece by piece, they gain the upperhand in the society and therefore access to money and political power. They do this in a variety of ways, but the most impactful are the child soldiers and the systematic rape. Child soldiers are forced to slaughter their own, which binds them to the adult soldiers. Then the women and children are raped thereby becoming forever tainted and likely they will suffer fistula, which means they will be shunned and die even if their family did not turn them out after the rape.

Thanks believe. That is pretty much what I remembered from reading some articles awhile back. Women are the glue that hold society together.......what a huge statement. I wonder if they have actually thought ahead to what will happen if their plan succeeds?? Where will they be 20 years from now with a country teeming with violent men and no women?? Maybe they should have consulted China before they commenced this plan. Hopefully they will eventually exterminate themselves. One really disturbing thing I read said that the incidence of civillian rapes is now 1/3 of all rapes, up from only 1% a few years ago :(

Here you go Missizzy. I wish I was a billionaire, I would buy all the stock of these things and air-drop them all over the Congo.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20008347-10391704.html

(CBS) A South African doctor has created a female condom that puts teeth in the fight against rape.
Literally.
The anti-rape condom, called "Rape-aXe," features rows of jagged hooks designed to attach to a man's penis during penetration. Once attached, the condom can only be removed by a doctor - hopefully when authorities can arrest him, Dr. Sonnet Ehlers, the condom's designer, told CNN.
"It hurts, he cannot pee and walk when it's on," she said. "If he tries to remove it, it will clasp even tighter... however, it doesn't break the skin, and there's no danger of fluid exposure."
I think a re-design is in order however - guillotine style :dance: That might stop some things....

The challenge to women protecting themselves with something like a condom lies with educating the women to understand that they CAN protect themselves...that they have a right to do so.

One additional piece of info, although clearly my role is Debbie Downer today, many of the rapes are committed with weapons.

Animals.

These people are animals.

Civilization advances and they didn't. Makes me sick.

There is an HBO Documentary entitled "The Greatest Silence: Rape in the Congo". It is painful to watch however you will find out that these terrible atrocities have been being carried out in the Congo for over 10 years.

You never hear about the atrocities because women in the Congo can be disowned by their families for being raped. In the documentary you can see the results of these horrifying rapes at the poor local hospitals.

This has been going on for over 10 years and the United Nations has done nothing.

The website below gives more information on what we can do and also more details about what is happening in the Congo.

http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/the-greatest-silence-rape-in-the-congo/detail/resources.html

TY crystalgenie...it kills me. Just kills me. These victims carry the burden for it all. There is no attempt to protect and save them-this is the big argument between non profits who work with the victims and the UN. At least things have changed a little from when it was happening at the gates of the UN enclave and the soldiers would say they were there as "observers" not to intervene. :(

Now they just pretend they dont know at all.

Thanks believe. That is pretty much what I remembered from reading some articles awhile back. Women are the glue that hold society together.......what a huge statement. I wonder if they have actually thought ahead to what will happen if their plan succeeds?? Where will they be 20 years from now with a country teeming with violent men and no women?? Maybe they should have consulted China before they commenced this plan. Hopefully they will eventually exterminate themselves. One really disturbing thing I read said that the incidence of civillian rapes is now 1/3 of all rapes, up from only 1% a few years ago :(

Here you go Missizzy. I wish I was a billionaire, I would buy all the stock of these things and air-drop them all over the Congo.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20008347-10391704.html

(CBS) A South African doctor has created a female condom that puts teeth in the fight against rape.
Literally.
The anti-rape condom, called "Rape-aXe," features rows of jagged hooks designed to attach to a man's penis during penetration. Once attached, the condom can only be removed by a doctor - hopefully when authorities can arrest him, Dr. Sonnet Ehlers, the condom's designer, told CNN.
"It hurts, he cannot pee and walk when it's on," she said. "If he tries to remove it, it will clasp even tighter... however, it doesn't break the skin, and there's no danger of fluid exposure."
I think a re-design is in order however - guillotine style :dance: That might stop some things....

I truly believe that any woman that would wear one of these would be killed for injuring a rapist. The only way to stop this is to find and eliminate the rapists. How that could be accomplished, well, ask the army and secret forces in Iraq. Things happened there that will NEVER see the light of day or become known to the general public. How do I know? I have a son in law in the army and treat soldiers on a regular basis.

Thank you IWannaKnow, that's what I was remembering. I have to agree with Sunnie, though, that a man would probably viciously kill any woman who dared to harm his precious "weapon". Possibly, though, if all women had access to them, the rapists might give it a second thought. I'd like to keep an eye on this device as it might have promise in some situations. It seems as if the men are acting with impunity at this point. Who would think that they would rape month old infant boys? That shakes me to the core. We have so much work to do.

I have a dear friend who is a LEO. She spent two years in Bosnia after the war interviewing rape victims as an employee of the UN. I remember her telling me one time that the stories "ate at her soul".

ITA with all of the above statements. The ONLY way those condoms would work would be if every man KNEW that there was a better than 50% (?) chance that any given woman he chose to attack was probably wearing one of these. I think in this instance something more...mmmm....maiming would be necessary. Brute testosterone, brutality and stupidity can only be combated with something similar. Asking them to hug a teddy bear instead probably wouldn't cut it. They would have to KNOW that there was a very good chance that their most precious item could be permenantely maimed to make it even slow down. JMHO. If only a few women had these, it would be a certain death sentence for them. The glaringly obvious problem would be that once the first guy "took the hit" so-to-speak, the woman would be completely vulnerable to all his fellow rapists, and then she really would be dead in retribution.......ahhhhh. Such a hopeless situation. The love of money is the root of all evil. The only real answer is taking out the top - The people who are promoting this, then rehabilitating the "soldiers", however that might work :-(

SunnieRN - I understand what you are saying. These things are not just happening in the Congo....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back