CA CA - Nicholas John Cunfermann, 32, Novato, 24 Aug 1986

Kat

Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 776DMCA

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/776dmca.html

Nicholas John Cunfermann
Missing since August 24, 1986 from Novato, Marin County, California.
Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: January 22, 1954
Age at Time of Disappearance: 32 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0; 195 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; hazel eyes.
Marks, Scars: Scar beneath right eye
Dentals: Available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Cunfermann was last seen in Novato, California on August 24, 1986. Foul play is suspected.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Novato Police Department
415-897-4361

Agency Case Number: 86-05394

NCIC Number: M-214200880
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
California Department of Justice

http://dojapp.doj.ca.gov/missing/detail.asp?FCN=3228626132803

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/cunfermann_nicholas.html

Nicholas is not listed in NamUs at this time.

No archived articles at this time.

Nicholas has been missing 24 years. Come home soon.

Attachments

• NJCunfermann.bmp
    55.1 KB · Views: 9
NamUs UP5919, located 4/1/1987 floating in the water off San Francisco, 2" shorter than Mr. Cunfermann, but matches on weight and age. The UP has a surgical scar on his abdomen, and NamUs has a very specific and extensive list of items that were in his pockets. I wish there were more info on Mr. Cunfermann (clothing, smoker or not, etc.). The time between when Mr. Cunfermann went missing and when this UP was located is a bit more than I would like, considering how intact the contents of the UP's pockets were, but I suppose anything is possible.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Original

Cunfermann was last seen in Novato, California on August 24, 1986. He disappeared under suspicious circumstances and has never been heard from again.

From the Navato Police Department Facebook page:
53 mins
“Beginning in October of 2019, Novato PD will begin a several month long feature listing some of our ‘historical’ missing persons cases which, unfortunately, have yet to be solved. In total, and dating to the early 1980’s, six people have been reported as missing to Novato PD who have never been found. This month, we bring to you the story of Nicholas Cunfermann.

In August of 1986, Nicholas Cunfermann was reported as a missing person to Novato Police Department. Nicholas grew up in Marin County and was 32 years old at the time of his disappearance. Several theories have surfaced over the years indicating that Nicholas Cunfermann’s disappearance was suspicious. Despite a continuous effort over the last 30+ years investigating these tips, he has never been found. We have included a picture of Nicholas to this post along with a picture of the vehicle he owned at the time of his disappearance which also was never found. During the course of the investigation, DNA samples from family members and Nicholas’ Cunfermann’s dental records were obtained to assist the investigation. These records are available to law enforcement agencies nationwide. Unfortunately these samples have yet to provide any leads that might answer the questions of: What happened to Nicholas Cunfermann?

We hope to bring positive closure to this case for Nicholas and his family. We welcome any information the public would like to share that might benefit this investigation. Below is a link to this post which lists Nicholas’ profile at NAMUS, the National Missing and Unidentified Persons Website. If you have any information you would like to share, please contact the Novato PD Investigations Section at crimetips@novato.org or by phone at 415-897-4361. Anonymous tips can be reported to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Novato Police Department

He went missing from Novato in 1986 — and decades later, detectives still search for clues | KRON4
He went missing from Novato in 1986 — and decades later, detectives still search for clues
by: Noelle Bellow
Posted: Oct 22, 2019 / 08:40 PM PDT / Updated: Oct 22, 2019 / 08:40 PM PDT
KRON4 Breaking News
NOVATO (KRON) — It’s been more than three decades since anyone has seen or heard from Nicholas Cunfermann.
The Novato man was 32 when he went missing in August of 1986, leaving behind very few clues about what could’ve happened to him.
Now, his mother and Novato police are hoping that putting his story back out into the public will help them gain some new leads.
“If he was alive he’d be 64 or 65,” said the man’s mother, Barbara Cunfermann.
Cunfermann has been without her son Nicholas for 34 years.
In brown zip up portfolio — she still keeps all the clues, flyers and paperwork she’s collected, hoping someday she’ll learn the truth
“I’d like to know. I think I would rest a little bit better but, like I said, it had to be pretty fast for him."
Nicholas was a husky, 32-year-old at the time of his appearance, who she says knew how to take care of himself. She feels certain he’s no longer with us.
“I just, I knew something happened to him, mother’s intuition,” she said.
His body nor his car have ever been found, and though there have been theories about what happened, detectives haven’t been able to connect the dots.
“There’s always been a degree of suspicion about what happened to Nicholas Cunfermann,” said Detective Trevor Hall with the Novato Police Department.
Hall says cases like Nicky’s can be frustrating.
“It’s puzzling because you know this person is somewhere or you know somebody knows the answer. He was just not the type of person that would hop in his car and drive off and never communicate with anybody again,” Hall said.
There’s decades of case information inside Nicholas Cunfermann’s file but police are being selective about the details they release.
They say it’s because they want to make sure any new leads they get aren’t fabricated.
“Hopefully they either provide us with brand new info, or some facts that substantiate items or facts we already know.”
They’re hoping a new initiative on social media will help bring forth new answers.
“This time I think it’s time the Cunfermann Family got some answers to this case,” Hall said.
And give barbara’s heart some rest
“Yeah because he was my first baby,” she said.
Nicholas’ case is just the first of six missing person cold cases that the Novato Police Department is hoping to highlight over the next several months.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back