Kyron Horman Case Review #1: Thread #1: LE Press Conference & Release: June 5 2010

BeanE

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
casesignal.wordpress.com
Kyron Horman Case Review #1: Thread #1: LE Press Conference & Release: June 5 2010

Before beginning the Case Review, please read the first Introductory thread here:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112566"]Introduction: Kyron Horman Case Review #1: LE Press Conferences & Releases[/ame]

The first post in that thread explains the Case Review. The second post in that thread contains the Case Review schedule.

** Please note that it's important, since we'll be reviewing a variety of information, that we don't turn this into a General Discussion thread, and cause more work for our mods.

** The goal is to look for new information, information that now has more meaning to us than it did earlier, and document it here, so let's stay focused!

** If we want to discuss possible meanings of what we find, let's do it in one of the discussion threads, so we can stay focused on our fact finding mission here.

Let's get started! :)

First up is the LE press conference and press release of June 5.

** June 5 press conference video:

June 5 News Conference: 'Exhaustive' Search Under Way
Video: http://www.kptv.com/video/23805637/index.html

This video is 17:25 minutes. The Q & A session with reporters begins at approximately 4:54. The questions from the reporters can't be heard except for a few words here and there. The answers from Capt Gates are clear however.

** June 5 press release from MCSO:

News Release from: Multnomah Co. Sheriff's Office MULTNOMAH COUNTY SHERRIFF'S OFFICE CONTINUES SEARCH FOR 7 YEAR OLD KYRON HORMAN
Posted: June 5th, 2010 9:06 AM

Kyron_sciencefair.jpg

Kyron did not return home on his school bus as scheduled at 330 PM Friday June 4. Family called Skyline Elementary School to report that he had not returned home. Multnomah County Sherriff's Office was contacted at approximately 4 PM.

Kyron's stepmother reports she last saw him at approximately 845 AM Friday, walking down the hallway towards his classroom. School staff report not seeing him after 845 AM and that he did not make it to his classroom.

Multnomah County called in their Search and Rescue team to begin their search of the area surrounding the school. As the evening progressed, SearchOne Canine Inc. and Portland Police also joined in the search.

A decision was made to upgrade the search to a Major Crimes Team investigation. This allows for more resources to be deployed, which included resources from Portland Police Bureau, Gresham Police Department, Fairview Police Department, Oregon State Patrol and the FBI.

Search and Rescue resources also expanded to include SearchOne Canine Inc., Mountain Rescue, Yamhill County Canine, along with additional members of the Multnomah County Search and Rescue team. Members continued their searching throughout the night, encompassing over 20 miles of road and 2 square miles. Portland Police Bureau's air unit was another resource called in.

This morning, at approximately 7 AM, Multnomah County Sherriff's Office readied for their second operational period.

The mission is the same as last night; that being to locate Kyron Horman. Also, ordering more resources, which include Search and Rescue resources from Washington County Sherriff's Office, Yamhill County Sherriff's Office, Clark County Washington, Pacific NW Search and Rescue, and a National Guard helicopter.

Anyone with information regarding Kyron Horman whereabouts is asked to call the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office tip line 503 261-2847, or to dial 911 with emergency information.

My notes on the press release:

- School staff report not seeing him after 8:45 AM and that he did not make it to his classroom.

- Upgrade the search to a Major Crimes Team investigation. Allows for more resources to be deployed, ... the FBI.

- Searched through the night, 20 miles of road and 2 square miles.
* They started right out with that 2 square miles around the school. What was that focus based on? Did that come from the FBI based on statistics? Something like that?

My notes on the press conference video, *not* including the Q & A. I haven't done the Q & A part yet.

- Jason Gates is a Captain with MCSO, and Incident Commander for Kyron's case.

- reported missing approx 3:45 via 911

- immediate inital search upon receipt of 911 call

- did a reverse 911 call to see where the call had come from
* why?

- at a certain point "realized it was not going to be an immediate find for Kyron"

- wanted to correct misinformation issued the day before. Kyron always rides the bus to school except when there are special events. science fair.
* what was the misinformation and where was it publicized? need to go back and check.

- FBI on scene.

- family has been "nothing less than completely cooperative with our investigative process". LE "getting a ton of information from them that helps us".

- family not ready to talk to media. still talking with detectives. "very traumatic to them".

- family would appreciate if you'd respect their privacy at this time.
* is 'you' the press, the public, or both?

- exhaustive ground and air search.

- asks people in area to do an "exhaustive no stone unturned" search of their own property, outbuildings, car trunks, any old equipment. call tipline if they "find anything out of place".
* sounds like LE thought Kyron had wandered off on his own

- 24/7 operation.

- civilians should keep Kyron in their prayers but not show up to search.

- school district will send message June 5 to parents to come in to the school to interview w/detectives. 300 kids. specifically for parents (not students).

* I stopped at 4:54 in the video where the Q&A begins. Needed a break. :)

- note: lots and lots about searches. maybe the notes regarding searches should be posted over in the search thread so the people who have been following the searches closely can review it against their notes to see if we missed anything notable that's search specific.

"At a certain point it was realized that it was not going to be an immediate find for Kyron."

Immediately deployed several nearby LE departments, the National Guard, the FBI, SAR teams, and K9 units.

This was less than 24 hours later. I would like to know what pointed them in this direction so quickly. Is that normal? How long did it take (if ever) for those resources to be used in other cases?

Later a reporter asks him about this and he says that typically in these types of cases "99 times out of a hundred they're pretty close by, or we get information right away that leads us to a friend's house...those things were immediately exhausted."

ALSO:

"The family...has been nothing less than completely cooperative with our investigative process."

A reporter asks if they're sure Kyron isn't with one of the parents/step-parents and he says they're in contact with "every one of them" and that they've been "forthcoming" and that they're getting "a ton of information from them."

AND:

"We are also asking people that live in the area to do an exhaustive, NO STONE UNTURNED search of their own property, to include their outbuildings, their car trunks...and if they find anything out of place to contact us immediately."

weather the first night was "precarious."

terrain has good and bad. Lots of rolling fields, but waist high grass. If someone is just a few feet away but not calling to you you might miss them.

Over time, scents dissipate and "large window" make dogs less helpful.

"We have specific information through the investigation that we're able to narrow down the time window."

How are they sure unless someone looked for him? If no one looked for him, how do they know Kyron wasn't on school grounds?

Question about quick FBI involvement:

Does the FBI normally get involved so quickly?

Not typically, but the FBI offered and we were glad to have them.

Why did they offer?

Little laugh..."Because they care." Did he not want to answer this question or did he think it was just stupid?:waitasec:

Any evidence found? Anything that Kyron left behind?

"not going to comment on that."

Did we ever get confirmation about the backpack and coat?

Reverse 911 call was made to confirm an "unlisted" number and to triangulate the location

The reverse 911 call went out at 5:30pm to the all listed contact numbers and homes of children who attend Skyline. Gates says reverse 911 can track unlisted phone numbers and triangulate their locations.

(I assume Desiree got one?)

So, if any parent of a student, and I assume all school staff, was pinged in an area they would not usually be, LE would know. An example would be the mystery chaperon, if he was a parent.

Good work LE!

http://amberalertsandmissingchildre...7/kyron-horman-case-part-1-disappearance.html

notes from capt gates video - not exact quotes.

-Family has been nothing less than 100% completely co-operative

-All family members have been interviewed or will be interviewed or are currently being interviewed (thinking J. may not be home yet). They have been very forthcoming and have given us a ton of info.

not paraphrasing anymore - i thought it was interesting how gates said there was a search process AND an investigative process going on. He referred to this twice during the video. the second time he said search and rescue AND detective response.

also from what I gathered there were 3 groups with search dogs. 1. the police dogs. 2. Mountain Wave 3. Northwest canine.

also he said 99% of the time they(missing kids) are pretty close or we get info right away that leads us to them. He said they are usually found
-on the school grounds
-in a different classroom
-@ a friends house.

Thinking of a possible tie into gates comment later: "I can't say for certainty that it wasn't stranger to stranger. I can't," Gates said. "But I also can tell you that the need for the public to be alarmed is very low."

- did a reverse 911 call to see where the call had come from
* why?

- wanted to correct misinformation issued the day before. Kyron always rides the bus to school except when there are special events. science fair.
* what was the misinformation and where was it publicized? need to go back and check.

-

- school district will send message June 5 to parents to come in to the school to interview w/detectives. 300 kids. specifically for parents (not students).

Respectfully snipped

These stuck out to me.

Especially wonder if the students were questioned or least asked to come forward with any info on Kyron that day or unusual persons, situations, etc...

Case Review Reference Links - Miscellaneous

Our first thread about Kyron.
Contains all posts we made on June 5, including presser discussion:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106082"]OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #1[/ame]

Press conference discussion in that thread begins on this page at post 263:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106082&page=11

Weather for June 4 in Portland:
http://www.wunderground.com/history...tml?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Skyline Elementary School

Address: 11536 Nw Skyline Blvd, Portland, OR 97231

Grades: K-8, Students: 275, Students Per Teacher: 12

School website: http://www.pps.k12.or.us/schools/skyline/

Google Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...and,+Multnomah,+Oregon+97231&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A

Bing Map (click Birds eye view): http://www.bing.com/maps/#JndoZXJlM...xOS42OTMxNTM3MjE0ODg1JTdlLTExNS43NDQxNDA2MjU=

Pictures:

SkylineSchoolfrontview.jpg

Backofschoolparkinglot.jpg

June 5 *8:00pm* press conference

I couldn't find a video of this second press conference, also held on June 5. There are some notes from our members here, who posted as they watched it, beginning at this post:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5254043&postcount=370"]View Single Post - OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #1[/ame]

The reverse 911 call went out at 5:30pm to the all listed contact numbers and homes of children who attend Skyline. Gates says reverse 911 can track unlisted phone numbers and triangulate their locations.

(I assume Desiree got one?)

So, if any parent of a student, and I assume all school staff, was pinged in an area they would not usually be, LE would know. An example would be the mystery chaperon, if he was a parent.

Good work LE!

http://amberalertsandmissingchildre...7/kyron-horman-case-part-1-disappearance.html

Gliving...I didn't hear that the reverse 911 call was made to students/parents, I heard it was made after they got the initial 911 call to "indicate where the call had came from" which was at ~38 seconds into the video, then again at ~ 5:26 in response to a reporters question about it (couldn't hear the question though, just 911) where he said " reverse 911 is where our bureau of emergency communication is able to track a number that would be otherwise unlisted, and also triangulate it to identify the location from which it came".

I believe the response about the 5:30 call was in regards to the school calling all parents with an automated message on Friday.
Please correct me if I'm wrong....

Which really has me wondering....If the school secretary made the call, why would they need to identify where it came from?

Any evidence found? Anything that Kyron left behind?

"not going to comment on that."

snipped by me:

two other "no comment":

1 -we are not ready to release what the teacher statements are or any of the family members statements.

2. -any question regarding time - we don't want to go into that.

Case Review Reference Links - June 4 News Articles

These are all the articles I could find from June 4 that are still available.

Search Continues For Missing Second-Grader
Kyron Horman Last Seen Friday Morning
POSTED: 8:10 pm PDT June 4, 2010
http://www.kptv.com/news/23800594/detail.html

Deputies Searching For Missing 2nd-Grader
POSTED: 8:10 pm PDT June 4, 2010
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...p://www.livepdx.com/news/23800594/detail.html

Officers looking for second-grader missing in NW Portland
Published: Friday, June 04, 2010, 10:22 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/police_looking_for_missing_por.html

Police looking for missing Skyline Elementary student
Story Published: Jun 4, 2010 at 8:42 PM PDT
http://www.katu.com/news/95669809.html

Help Locate Missing Second Grader in Portland, Oregon
Jun-04-2010 20:53
http://www.salem-news.com/articles/june042010/missing_boy.php

Few things I picked up from the press release when watching it now with a different perspective

--Motorcycle passes by at 2:54 and then same motorcycle in other direction at 4:26 into video with driver obviously looking...do any players drive a motorcycle...(also a red one at 5:03 but obviously different)

--I can clearly hear helicopters almost constantly

--Noticed several members of National Guard pass behind Capt gates

--Two white pickups went by...one Chevy and one Ford in opposite directions at 1:30 and 15:22 respectively

--the same Silver Tahoe-ish or Suburn style truck drives by three times and the people inside have yellow shirts on as did the Natl Guard team

--Capt Gates received four cell phone calls between 10 and 12 min into the video all of which he ignored'silenced but did look down at and then he finally handed the phone to someone else to hang on too-this detail intrigues me the most...wondering what urgent piece of information he got at that time...or at least who was trying to reach him urgently

just my opinion and conjecture and observations

Ok... since we're looking at that first weekend, and that first presser was held on June 5, here are excerpts from an email that Terri wrote the same day as the presser.

“They are blaming me in the blogs. I just want to scream."

“The teacher thought I said I was going to take Kyron with Kitty for a doctor’s appt...I said I was going to look at other exhibits - how do you mess that up? His coat and backpack were still at school. I left the school at 9 and he was seen with a man ‘chaperone’ and 2 girls after I left. There were no men on the chaperone list. That and it was highly chaotic - had to been 300 people running around - no coordination ...”

"I didn't just drop him off, I spent time with him, took pictures and he was in safe hands I thought as I watched him walk down the hall.

“Kids saw him after I left. Teacher put him as absent at 10am. Someplace between 9-10 is when we think it happened.

“I have a receipt showing I was checking out at Fred Meyer 7 miles away at 9:12am. I went to another FM looking for meds for Kitty they didn't have at the first FM. Then I was trying to get Kitty to sleep in the truck for a few minutes, but no go, so off to the gym at 11:20. Out at 12:20. Home at 12:45. Kaine home at 2. Bus at 3:30. That was my day - they keep asking me. Now on my 5th interview with them ..."

"The past 2 weeks he's been acting really weird. Staring off into space. Can't remember anything. Walks into the room and then back out, stopping to stare and then move on. The doc thinks that he is having mini seizures and I made an appt on Thursday for next Friday to have him checked out."

SOURCE: http://www.katu.com/news/local/100323934.html

Something else we didn't know about at the time of this PC were these excerpts from Terri's email to her friend, which was sent the same day as this PC took place. (I'm putting the "talking points" down separately.)

"They are blaming me in the blogs. I just want to scream."

"The teacher thought I said I was going to take Kyron with K for a doctor's appt. I said I was going to look at other exhibits - how do you mess that up?"

"His coat and backpack were still at school."

"I left the school at 9 . . ."

". . . and he was seen with a man 'chaperone' and 2 girls after I left. There were no men on the chaperone list."

"That and it was highly chaotic - had to been 300 people running around - no coordination."

"I didn't just drop him off, I spent time with him, took pictures . . . "

". . . and he was in safe hands I thought as I watched him walk down the hall."

"Kids saw him after I left."

"Teacher put him as absent at 10am."

"Someplace between 9-10 is when we think it happened."

"I have a receipt showing I was checking out at Fred Meyer 7 miles away at 9:12am."

"I went to another FM looking for meds for Kitty they didn't have at the first FM. '

"Then I was trying to get K to sleep in the truck for a few minutes, but no go, so . . . "

". . . off to the gym at 11:20. Out at 12:20."

"Home at 12:45."

"Kaine home at 2."

"Bus at 3:30."

"That was my day - they keep asking me."

"Now on my 5th interview with them."

"The past 2 weeks he's been acting really weird. Staring off into space. Can't remember anything. Walks into the room and then back out, stopping to stare and then move on."

"The doc thinks that he is having mini seizures and . . . "

"I made an appt on Thursday for next Friday to have him checked out."

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/100415079.html

ETA LOL, pufnstuf! There must be some kind of Vulcan mind meld going on! I'm going to keep my post up because the quotes are broken up differently and, who knows, it may help to look at them in more than one way.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back