CA CA - Wendy Byron, 24, Glendora, 26 Aug 1978

Kat

Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 877DFCA

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/877dfca.html

Wendy Susan Byron
Missing since August 26, 1978 from Glendora, Los Angeles County, California.
Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: May 7, 1954
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 24 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5" (165 cm); 145 lbs. (66 kg)
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; green eyes.
•Dentals: Not available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Byron was last seen August 26, 1978 in Glendora, CA. Her car was found at the Ontario, CA airport.
Byron was married and her husband was a suspect in her disappearance. Foul play is suspected.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Glendora Police Department
818-914-8250

Agency Case Number: 78-3033

NCIC Number: M-534631853
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
California Department of Justice

http://dojapp.doj.ca.gov/missing/detail.asp?FCN=2589135014934

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/byron_wendy.html

Wendy is not listed in NamUs at this time.

I don't see any archived articles for Wendy at this time.

Wendy has been missing 32 years. Come home soon.

Attachments

• WByron.jpg
    WByron.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 229
This from The LA TIMES

Glendora home searched for clues in woman's 1978 disappearance

Nearly 35 years have passed since the suspicious disappearance of Glendora resident Wendy Byron.

The 24-year-old Byron was last seen in the San Gabriel Valley city on Aug. 26, 1978, according to the state Department of Justice. Her car was later found at Ontario airport....continue reading

I wonder how long flight records are kept at that airport. I wonder if we could we somehow find out what departures took place on the day(s) that Wendy went missing.

A bit more information.

Wendy Susan Byron was Wendy Susan Higgins before marriage which took place 15 February 1975 in Los Angeles (source: Ancestry. Confirmed by match of 'Wendy Susan and husbands second initial 'G'). I found a family tree for Wendy (which lists her as disappeared in 1978, confirming the match) at

http://www.navarrofamilytree.com/f2.html (click on her father for more details)

The family tree shows her with two brothers still living (one died in 1990). Her father died in 1967 but her mother lived until 2006. For some reason the family tree gives the date of disappearance as 17 August rather than 26 August. Whether this is significant I do not know. Robert Byron's second name is confirmed as Gordon. A divorce was granted (presumably at Robert's instigation) on 9 May 1980 in Los Angeles (source: Ancestry).

Its interesting that Glendora is close to the Ontario Airport and Covina is also close.

This is going to be tough to ever find her body if he killed her.

The Angeles National Forest is very close and due north of Glendora so he could have taken her there to bury her and then a quick drive to airport to fake her leaving.

The Covina move is probably just normal move so I don't think she is near Covina.

The mountains to the north and North of Route 66 going to the Airport is where I would focus where she could be buried.

LE searched the previous residence yard but its interesting they did not search it right after he moved. Something must have given them a tip to search it so many years later. Maybe they were just working cold cases.

I am afraid she is in the mountains not far northeast of Glendora and north of Route 66.
Because then a chip shot to the airport.

If any of his friends or relatives at the time knew of any places he would go in those woods could maybe provide a better place to search.

The reason the woods in the national forest is a good possible place is its a place where he would know he could dig a hole and not be spotted by anyone for hours at a time.

Bumping for Wendy
Remains were recently found north of Glendora near Mt. Baldy.
Not much information as of yet, like gender or how long the remains may have been there.
I think they were originally found in October, but they keep finding scattered parts? First link is for October discovery, second is for late December, which I think may be related to the October remains. They appear to have been found in the same place.
http://patch.com/california/glendora/human-bones-found-forest-outside-glendora-0
http://www.sgvtribune.com/general-news/20170102/human-remains-found-in-forest-north-of-glendora

I'm curious if LE fingerprinted her car and also checked the positioning of the driver seat. If the husband drove the car to the airport he might have needed to adjust the seat due to height difference. Also if LE believed this was simply a woman fleeing her marriage they might have not been as thorough with the car.

This case should be easy to solve, except for the length of time that has passed. Any DNA may be degraded. But I know things about this case, things that I wished I didn't. And this post is probably going to get me in trouble.

To begin with, let me clarify: I don't know who killed Wendy, where her body might be, or if she were killed at all.

I never met Wendy Bryon. Unfortunately I did meet Robert Byron. Very likely I met him just a few months after Wendy's disappearance (my memory may be in question here). At the time I was told that his wife had ran out on him, that he was very sensitive about it and we shouldn't ask questions. So I never asked questions. I didn't know that she had disappeared under suspicious circumstances until 25 years later...

But if he were hurting, he sure didn't show it. Robert Byron was a guy who seemed to have a new girlfriend every few months or so.

The first thing that people need to know is that very likely there was a problem with how this case was handled from the beginning. You see Robert Byron's best friend worked for the Glendora Police department. I won't name him here, but I knew him well. It is very likely he had many friends who were police officers.

That best friend dated my sister and wanted to marry her. But over time my sister became very unhappy. So that relationship did not work out. I do want to keep my relationship with my sister. I don't know if this post will upset anyone. But sometimes the truth hurts. My sister left the best friend and ran off with Robert Byron!

So the best friend got suspicious and wanted to know the truth. He kept pressuring me. One day I told him, my sister had ran off with his best friend, Robert. I recall how he repeated twice with lot's of passion, "How could she! {female's name} does not know Robert! Not like I do! She does not know Robert! Not like I do!" Remember I did not know that there was an open murder case open on this matter. It wasn't until years later, that I recall those haunting words and their frightful implication.

My sister (years later) talks about all kinds of creepy things about that house and the behavior of Robert and his extreme sensitivity about the backyard.

If the police have already interviewed my sister and Robert Byron's best friend, then none of this is important. And I have nothing to add.

Grand Coyote

This case should be easy to solve, except for the length of time that has passed. Any DNA may be degraded. But I know things about this case, things that I wished I didn't. And this post is probably going to get me in trouble.

To begin with, let me clarify: I don't know who killed Wendy, where her body might be, or if she were killed at all.

I never met Wendy Bryon. Unfortunately I did meet Robert Byron. Very likely I met him just a few months after Wendy's disappearance (my memory may be in question here). At the time I was told that his wife had ran out on him, that he was very sensitive about it and we shouldn't ask questions. So I never asked questions. I didn't know that she had disappeared under suspicious circumstances until 25 years later...

But if he were hurting, he sure didn't show it. Robert Byron was a guy who seemed to have a new girlfriend every few months or so.

The first thing that people need to know is that very likely there was a problem with how this case was handled from the beginning. You see Robert Byron's best friend worked for the Glendora Police department. I won't name him here, but I knew him well. It is very likely he had many friends who were police officers.

That best friend dated my sister and wanted to marry her. But over time my sister became very unhappy. So that relationship did not work out. I do want to keep my relationship with my sister. I don't know if this post will upset anyone. But sometimes the truth hurts. My sister left the best friend and ran off with Robert Byron!

So the best friend got suspicious and wanted to know the truth. He kept pressuring me. One day I told him, my sister had ran off with his best friend, Robert. I recall how he repeated twice with lot's of passion, "How could she! {female's name} does not know Robert! Not like I do! She does not know Robert! Not like I do!" Remember I did not know that there was an open murder case open on this matter. It wasn't until years later, that I recall those haunting words and their frightful implication.

My sister (years later) talks about all kinds of creepy things about that house and the behavior of Robert and his extreme sensitivity about the backyard.

If the police have already interviewed my sister and Robert Byron's best friend, then none of this is important. And I have nothing to add.

Grand Coyote
What sorts of “creepy” things did he talk about? Did he ever mention Wendy? Any threats to her? Where is he now?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back