Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 2095DFMI

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2095dfmi.html

Jan Pattison
Missing since August 26, 1993 from Greenland, Ontonagon County, Michigan
Classification: Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Age at Time of Disappearance: 38 years old
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair.
Marks, Scars: She had back surgery not long before her disappearance.
Dentals: Available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Jan Pattison had gone to to the Rosseau Bar (a bar seven miles south of Mass City) earlier in the evening. She reportedly met two elderly men she knew there and accepted an invitation to take a tour of one of the men’s new cabin.
After leaving the cabin around 10:30 that night, Jan Pattison was never seen again.
Pattison’s car was found on September 1 just off a two-track ORV trail close to the Vista Drive Road. Her keys, purse and other personal items were still in the vehicle, which apparently became stuck after going off the trail. The items included her cigarettes, which she would have never gone anywhere without.
An extensive search was done in the area with Michigan State Police, Ontonagon County Sheriff and even the Federal Bureau of Investigation involved. Some footprints found on the banks of the Ontonagon River appeared to offer a clue on the whereabouts of the missing woman. Pattison was a nurse and she usually wore the kind of shoes nurses do.
The two elderly men who last saw Pattison — both whom have since died — were quickly cleared as suspects. The area where Pattison’s car was found is very isolated.
There were reports she had been spotted in the Houghton area and on Forest Highway 16 a few days after August 26. The sightings were never confirmed.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Ontonagon County Sheriff’s Office
906-884-4901

NCIC Number:
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
The Daily Mining Gazette

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/pattison_jan.html

Jan is not in NamUs at this time.

One article and it is pay-per-view.
http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we...page=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM

Jan has been missing 17 years. Come home soon.

Attachments

• JanPattison.jpg
    JanPattison.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 12
  • JanPattison1.jpg
    JanPattison1.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 12
Bumping for Jan, as we approach the 27th anniversary of her disappearance

r4c4s5.jpg

Definitely bumping for Jan. I have posted some very interesting articles below. I have actually been to the Rousseau Bar to eat once. Although I am from Wisconsin, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan has always been an absolute treasure to me and mystery place in and of itself—surrounded by the picturesque settings of waterfalls, rolling rivers and rugged mountains. However, the Upper Peninsula is very easy to get lost in. There has also been many deaths from slipping into rivers and such.

So sad Jan's case was never concluded. I don't think foul play happened here though. These articles below are very interesting. Although the Upper Peninsula wilderness is quite unforgiving, I still have hope Jan will be found someday.

pzbaz1.jpg

803j38.jpg

80ro16.jpg

Ordered some sweet potato fries from the Rosseau Bar when my mom and I were up visiting a waterfall. I thought of Jan and was thinking how a missing persons flyer should probably be in the bar. I don't think there was foul play. To me, I think Jan wandered off into the deep, unforgiving forests of the Upper Peninsula, got lost and died from exposure. There are so many animals and such a vast amount untouched wilderness in the Upper Peninsula. The article mentions someone actually taking her shoes and making imprints in the ground. That's far-fetched, in my opinion. I hope Jan is found.

• jan_pattison_1.jpg
    pattison_jan2.jpg
Pattison, circa 1993
  • Missing Since 08/26/1993
  • Missing From Greenland, Michigan
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Age 38 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'3 - 5'4, 135 - 175 pounds

• Clothing/Jewelry Description A teal shirt, blue jeans or denim shorts, a gold necklace, several chain bracelets, a watch, a ring and possibly size 7 or 7 1/2 Hush Puppy nurse's shoes.

• Medical Conditions Pattison is classified as disabled. She had surgery to repair in 1983 a ruptured disc and was unable to work after that. She abused prescription painkillers and alcohol after her surgery, and once tried to take her own life.

• Associated Vehicle(s) Blue and silver 1981 Ford Tempo 300 (accounted for)

• Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Pattison is a chain-smoker. She walks with a slight stoop and a limp, and she has surgical scars on her back where a metal rod or plate was inserted in her spine.

Details of Disappearance​

Pattison was last seen in Greenland, Michigan on August 26, 1993. That evening, she met two elderly male acquaintances at the Rosseau Bar and went to their cabin. At 10:30 p.m., she left the cabin. She never arrived home and has never been heard from again.

Pattison's blue and silver 1981 Ford Tempo 300 was found on September 1, stuck just off a two-track dirt trail near Vista Drive Road. Her keys, purse, cigarettes, $2 in cash and other belongings were still inside the car; her wallet and driver's license had been left at her house. An extensive search of the area turned up no indication of her whereabouts.

Footprints were found nearby; they emerged from a creek and continued for three or four miles along the logging trail before disappearing at a gravel road. Police took casts of the prints. They were a women's size 7 and similar to nurse's shoes, which Pattison normally wore, but it was never verified that they were from her. Dogs were unable to pick up her scent.

Pattison had been drinking alcohol on the night of her disappearance and police theorized she became confused under the influence of the alcohol and her prescription pain medication and turned the wrong way after leaving her friends' cabin, became lost, and abandoned the car after it got stuck.

Suicide and foul play were also investigated as possible causes of Pattison's disappearance. She had tried to die by suicide once before. The area where her car was found was so rugged and densely wooded that her loved ones didn't believe she would have driven there on her own; authorities considered the idea that someone else put the car there and planted the footprints to mislead the investigation.

A voluntary disappearance is considered unlikely, as Pattison was very dependent on her family and had little money. There were possible sightings of her in the Houghton, Michigan area and on Forest Highway 16 a few days after her disappearance, but these reports were not confirmed.

The two men Pattison was with on the night of her disappearance have been ruled out as suspects in her case, and both of them are now deceased. She is a former nurse. Her case remains unsolved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back