Baby Sign Language

daisy7

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
It has been reported that Terri taught Kyron sign language when he was a baby. I did this myself with my children so that I could better communicate with them until they started talking. They started signing at ~5 months old through when they fully started talking. Since all my DS knew sign, they all signed with each other until the younger ones could talk.

Here's a basic link on the common baby signs:

http://www.babies-and-sign-language.com/glossary-photos.html

So, do you think Terri also taught Baby K to sign and if so, what would Baby K be able to say via sign about the day Kyron went missing?

It has been reported that Terri taught Kyron sign language when he was a baby. I did this myself with my children so that I could better communicate with them until they started talking. They started signing at ~5 months old through when they fully started talking. Since all my DS knew sign, they all signed with each other until the younger ones could talk.

So, do you think Terri also taught Baby K to sign and if so, what would Baby k be able to say via sign about the day Kyron went missing?

Yes,exactly... ITA with your post...

All JMO

So, do you think Terri also taught Baby K to sign and if so, what would Baby K be able to say via sign about the day Kyron went missing?

I have no information as to whether baby K may know sign or not. One thing I've observed is that mothers tend to do things a little bit differently with each child, so teaching one doesn't always mean teaching the others (although quite obviously some do teach all of them).

In any case, I doubt baby K could sign much that would be relevant. As I understand it, babies learn signs for concrete things that are important or common to their everyday lives. Things like naming various foods, various toys, various activities that are part of the baby's every day life. I suspect a baby just wouldn't have signs for anything unusual.

Someone posted here that attempts to interview children around two years of age can be made but most often fail.

The only thing I don;t agree with as being "weird" is Terri teaching Kyron sign language. Knowing sign language is a good skill to have. Sometimes you can even parlay that skill into a job making money translating, etc. I think teaching him sign language is very cool. My youngest daughter started it when her 8 yr old was born but it didn't last more than 6 months. I would love to know sign language. I have thought about taking the courses a few times at the community college, just to add a skill to my resume, but now that I am kinda forced into retirement, whats the point?
So Terri gets some mad props from me on the sign language.....but that's about all I can say good about her...

I'm pretty sure Terri would have posted on FB a pic of BabyK signing something; it would have been very cute. Does anyone remember if someone posted anything about a pic like that while Terri's page was open?

My grandchildren learned to sign when they were babies by way of a series of videos. I think the words were things like "love," "banana," "mommy," "daddy," "sun," things like that. Naturally, "kill," "kidnap," "stash," "hand-off," etc., wouldn't be taught to babies.

Plus, I just don't think Terri would do anything to Kyron in front of BabyK, so there wouldn't be anything to tell, really.

I have no information as to whether baby K may know sign or not. One thing I've observed is that mothers tend to do things a little bit differently with each child, so teaching one doesn't always mean teaching the others (although quite obviously some do teach all of them).

In any case, I doubt baby K could sign much that would be relevant. As I understand it, babies learn signs for concrete things that are important or common to their everyday lives. Things like naming various foods, various toys, various activities that are part of the baby's every day life. I suspect a baby just wouldn't have signs for anything unusual.

Someone posted here that attempts to interview children around two years of age can be made but most often fail.

Yes, I used common words with my sons -- these included school, truck, tree, etc. If Baby K had been signing since she was 6 months old, it's very possible she knew many more words.

I realize interviewing children at a young age is not usually successful, but "baby signers" are more "verbal" than those that are not.

Mommy hurt Kyron would be very much within possibility, though. My parents were always amused that I never talked until my first sentence. It was, "I'm mad at daddy." I wouldn't be at all surprised if a 14-month old or beyond can express something like that, because I did. (He spanked me because I fell out of the high chair, and I was mad.)

Mommy hurt Kyron would be very much within possibility, though. My parents were always amused that I never talked until my first sentence. It was, "I'm mad at daddy." I wouldn't be at all surprised if a 14-month old or beyond can express something like that, because I did. (He spanked me because I fell out of the high chair, and I was mad.)

My 14 month old was completely potty trained and speaking full sentences by 18 months. It would be interesting to know how advanced baby K is with TH being a teacher and all. No sleuthing of baby K, though. ;)

I just don't see how Kyron could have been fully sign languaged trained by TH @ 6 months (based on article linked above). Wasn't Desiree still the full time custodian of Kyron at that time. In order to accomplish that task, TH would have had to have spent every single minute that Kyron was visiting Kaines home teaching sign. IMO. Or, Kyron is some sort of prodigy. Or, TH is some kind of teacher of the century. IDK, seems strange to me.

If TH taught sign lanuage to communicate with Kyron then I would think she would teach baby K also. If she didn't why not?
My neice knows sign lanuage and Chinese, English, German ( a teacher) and she taught
all her children all of this when they were small.
Children catch on at a very early age if everyone is doing the same.

Children are sponges. Languages are especially well suited to teach to children because they are making the neurological paths, not trying to walk back down one path to understand another. I think that makes sense.

Terri was the first to recognize that Kyron needed glasses, James said, and taught him sign language by the time he was 6 months so she could communicate with him.

"She was pretty proud of that," Ron Tarver said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/08/terri_horman.html

Thanks for the link, BeanE...Either Ron Tarver is misquoting TH's success with Kyron and signing with her at 6 months of age or TH misrepresented herself to RT. IMO.

I know that all babies develop at different rates, but just looking at average milestones it's hard to believe that Kryon was significantly signing to a stepmom he saw for a very short period of time during that time frame.

I was a SAHM and lived and breathed my first born child. At six months, although she was very advanced...she was cutting her first teeth at six months and formally being introduced to jar food. Newborns don't typically gain full vision until 4-5 months. Kyron had vision problems.

I think the significance of this thread is that TH may have misrepresented her success in Kyron's life.

I know it's supposed to be about baby k and what she may have been able to communicate about the day Kyron disappeared. But, I feel it's important to explore if TH actually even taught Kryon sign. Probably a question for a different thread. LOL

But even if baby K does know how to sign, how probable is it that a toddler is going to remember in detail something that happened almost 3 months ago?

What if she used sign language to communicate with Kyron to get him out of the school quietly and with no one noticing. Maybe it was a game, today let's only use sign language with each other. Just a thought!

I don't think Baby K would be able to tell or remember anything, sign language or not. My kids knew sign language at that age, but it was stuff like food, drink and more. One word, basic communication stuff. They would not ahve been able to tell me where their sibling was or anything like that.

Yes, I do see there are very many that are saying that the sign language is not all odd nor that it would have been terribly difficult for little Kyron because of his sight problems and Morag stated that it was probably for Kyron to communicate back to people that were speaking to him and not him having to see and recognize the sign language from the person he was communicating with..

I believe very much what you are all saying and definitely think that you all have more experience with this subject just as another poster(forgive me I cant remember who) stated that they taught very young children to sign that had all different kinds of disabilities including sight problems. I appreciate you all sharing your knowledge with me of these things which I have very little and after having seen and read you all posts along with the commenters on Valhall's site to her article(where she too found it odd)there were many explaining to her much of the same that you guys explained to me..

I am always able to look at all info with an open mind. Tho, I do strongly believe that Terri is involved in Kyron's disappearance I do however fully admit and recognize that throughout her life(what little we know) that she does or at least did at one time have some very redeeming qualities..

So I'll take to heart what you guys have shared and put this signing issue on my "good" qualities of Terri file..

Again thanks to all who shared their knowledge with me. Just one of the many things I love about posters here at WS

just a thought here, but there MIGHT have been an issue even at 6 months of age with a child's SIGHT, and successfully teaching a child sign language skills would help evaluate sight issues, as sign language is dependent upon sight, not sound (as in voice communication). I keep thinking about a pair of glasses here that seem so critical and has been suggested the wearer is now 'legally blind' or considerably sight-challenged at the tender age of 7... JMO

oh, gee... should I also point out here that 'legal custody' of said child belonged to D-now-Y at that time, until said child was about two? Maybe it's just me, but I add that to my more favorable outlook of TH in this case, as something that further shows her aptitude, interest, etc in the welfare of children.
::ducks::

My child does ASL and at that age (20 months), she wouldn't be helpful as I obviously never taught her signs for things related to kidnapping or murder. She could sign milk, baby, sad, cry, car, mommy, scared, etc. but she couldn't sign sentences.

Also, at that age, children have little sense of time ... they communicate in the present tense, so they couldn't tell you that this or that thing happened YESTERDAY (or any other time in the past) in any way that you could be sure of. Also, it's difficult to tell when they are merely thinking of something and when they are responding to you. And they mimic a LOT. So if you sign, "water" they will often sign water back to you, and it may not mean anything at all.

And lastly, toddlers are the centers of their own universes. They are more likely to be thinking about what is happening to THEM and how THEY feel than anything. What happens to other people is not really on their radar. If you cry in their presence, they might notice and even try to comfort you in that moment, but why would they remember on a conscious level? If a baby that age is content and cooing and playing with their toys, something bad could be happening to someone else right next to them and it will barely register.

An 18 or 20 month old is a completely unreliable witness. You'd never be sure if they were giving you information or just signing random things.

This is a repeat, but here's a reference:

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_language_in_infants_and_toddlers[/ame]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson