Six-Hundred-Pound Woman Surgically Removed From Her Couch

lisad71

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Six-Hundred-Pound Woman Surgically Removed From Her Couch

[font=helvetica,arial]PALM BEACH -- A 600-pound, 40 year-old woman was stuck to her couch at a home in Stuart, Wednesday.

Rescuers went in not knowing how difficult it would be to get her out. Authorities estimate that the had been there anywhere from 2-to-5 years.

"Family members are upset, it's a difficult position. We're trying to do the best we can to get the patient out safely," said Chris Wisniewski, from Martin County Fire & Rescue.

Fire rescue crews faced what seemed to be an impossible mission. Everyone that went inside had to wear protective gear. The stench was so powerful that officials had to blast in fresh air while they worked.

Officials say they had to cut a piece of plywood into a makeshift stretcher because a normal stretcher wouldn’t do.

An ambulance was too small. Officials brought in a trailer to get the victim out.

While rescue crews came up with a back-door rescue plan, detectives secured the crime scene and questioned family members on how it got this bad.

Using the planks, they loaded the woman on to the trailer, still attached to the couch.

Removing her from the couch at that time would have been too painful, because her body was grafted to the fabric after years of staying put. Her skin had become one with the sofa and had to be surgically removed.

Detectives are investigating whether they have a case of neglect by the family or if this is simply a sad story.

The woman is still at an area hospital where doctors have removed her from the couch.

http://www2.wsvn.com/news/articles_p/local/C50275/
[/font]

I'm confused. Was she alive? Why didn't she get up on her own? Who was feeding her for her to remain 600 pounds?

Correction..........

Article is wrong Stuart is not Palm Beach.

It is the county North of Palm Beach.

Arielle .... The women was alive.
I heard this on local radio this morning.

Without knowing more about this women it is hard to judge who is at fault.

Was she inncapacitated by other health issues and therefore could not get up which led to this??

If not then why did she not call for help sooner?
Even if at some point she could not get up... Someone was feeding her and at least going into that stench filled house.....
Why did she not ask that person to call medical personel? Looong before this?

Amraann said:
Correction..........

Article is wrong Stuart is not Palm Beach.

It is the county North of Palm Beach.
You are correct. Stuart is in Martin County which is north of Palm Beach County. This report was off of WSVN which is a Miami affiliate. Unless it has something to do with Dade or Broward County, they don't seem to get it right.

My guess is that she got too heavy to stand or sit up and that is why she was on the couch for so long. I don't think anyone else could be blamed for her weight because she is a grown up. Her family should have tried to get her some type of help instead of leaving her on a couch for 2-5 years..

This is too sad. OMG. I understand overweight people, but someone had to be taking care of her and her "bathroom needs" too. Who would be supplying her food? Maybe she weighed a 1000 pounds prior to this??? Who knows. But her skin growing into the couch? OMG, poor lady. How could it have gotten this bad?

Rachael said:
My guess is that she got too heavy to stand or sit up and that is why she was on the couch for so long. I don't think anyone else could be blamed for her weight because she is a grown up. Her family should have tried to get her some type of help instead of leaving her on a couch for 2-5 years..
Sometimes even grown-ups need help. This woman clearly needed help.

Our tabloids had this morning that she had died and that a family member was being charged with Wilfull Neglect. The tabloids here are not always reliable but can anyone fill me in. it is one of the most bizarre things I have ever heard.

This is a horribly sad case. How could she not have moved from that couch for 2-5 years? Are they saying that there was 2-5 years of human waste around her and that she ate, slept and lived in it for years? We need some more answers to how this could happen. I think as soon as someone is too big to get themselves up to use the bathroom, then they are no longer able to care for themselves and authorities need to be called in.

Jeana (DP) said:
This is a horribly sad case. How could she not have moved from that couch for 2-5 years? Are they saying that there was 2-5 years of human waste around her and that she ate, slept and lived in it for years? We need some more answers to how this could happen. I think as soon as someone is too big to get themselves up to use the bathroom, then they are no longer able to care for themselves and authorities need to be called in.

I agree with you, Jeana

What a horrid and sad story this is :(

blueclouds said:
This is too sad. OMG. I understand overweight people, but someone had to be taking care of her and her "bathroom needs" too.
And OTHER needs. She was only 40, so "Aunt Flo" would still be around, too. Unless because of her size and everything going on in her body, that stopped.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back