Mum brings premature baby son back to life.

AWSOME STORY.
Love is always showing us miracles.

That is really beautiful!!

As an apprentice midwife, I learned that babies regulate their breathing and heart rate by proximity to their mother. This is why, in the midwifery model of care, babies are not separated from their mothers, but are given directly to her (or she reaches down and pulls him to herself on her own). Cords are not cut until adequate respiration is demonstrated, and even then are usually left alone until separation of the placenta. The blood contained in the cord belongs to the baby, which can be up to a third of their whole blood volume. This blood keeps the baby oxygenated until he is breathing on his own. The principle of leaving the cord alone will not always occur in a twin birth, as in this story, due to the physiology and risk of leaving the first twins cord intact before delivering the second twin. However, I know of no reason why a second twins cord could not be left intact. Also, statistically, it is the second baby who is most at risk in a twin birth, and I would not be surprised to learn that Jamie was the second twin.

I, myself, have seen the results of low birth weight babies having direct proximity to their mothers. One birth I attended was a 36 week birth. Right on the cusp of safety, we ended up transporting for other factors. Baby was a tiny 4 pounder, and was showing respiratory distress on the warmer, but given to mom anyway under supervision. As soon as mom and baby were reunited, babies breathing regulated and distress subsided.

There has been some amazing research done on Kangaroo Care, too. Here's a link to research done in India: http://indianpediatrics.net/jan2008/jan-17-23.htm

Thank you for sharing this story songline.

Thank you for sharing your experiences mom2six.

I had a son that was born at about 35 weeks gestation. He was born by C-Section and taken to another hospital that had a NICU.

He did very poorly the first 24 hours. That is until I could get my own Doc to release me and get over to the other hospital.

I sat with him and stroked him, talked softly to him. They had a nurse that let me open my shirt and we placed him inside my shirt-skin to skin.

She sat with me to moniter him. He began to blossom. Within the next 24 hours he was strong enough to come out of the incubator completely. He came off oxygen the next day after that and started taking breast milk through an NG tube. He was too weak to suck properly and really needed my milk. I sat with him almost 24 hours a day. I really did, I still adore him to this day. As I adore all my children.

He had no lasting effects of prematurity. He is now a 19 yr old grown man that serves in the US Army.

I think the human touch is more important than we give really know. JMHO.

What a wonderful story - I am in awe :)

Blessings to this family!

Mel

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member