Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 2895DFMI

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2895dfmi.html

Carolyn Sue Martin
Missing since August 31, 1981 from Madison Heights, Michigan
Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

•Date Of Birth: January 19, 1957
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 24 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5"; 110 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown shoulder-length hair with bangs; light blue eyes.
•Marks, Scars: Both of her ears are pierced once. No known scars nor tattoos.
•DNA: Available
•AKA: Sue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Carolyn Martin and her 2-year-old son, Mark Martin were last seen on August 31, 1981.
They reportedly were dropped off on the side of I-75, just north of Toledo, Ohio, by Mark's father.

Carolyn Martin's family and friends had gathered the afternoon of August 31, 1981, to help her pack for an abrupt move to San Antonio. Her fiance wanted to relocate there for a job at an auto shop. The two had recently gotten engaged after years of acrimony. Carolyn's ex had very little to do with either her or Mark before that point -- until a paternity suit ordered him to pay child support. The couple had reconciled and were looking forward to a new life together.

Carolyn stopped at her mother's Hazel Park home with Mark that evening to say goodbye. That was the last time the family saw her or Mark.

Within an hour after they left the metropolitan Detroit area, Carolyn reportedly told her boyfriend she didn't want to go with him to Texas anymore. He then left her and Mark on the side of I-75 with a suitcase, $4,000 in cash and the clothes on their backs. No one has seen or heard from them since. Their names, DOBs and Social Security numbers have never been used.

Madison Heights Police started looking into the case the following spring, after the family filed missing person reports.
Foul play is suspected.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Madison Heights Police Department
248-585-2100

Agency Case Number: 8204679

NCIC Number: M-103805394
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
America's Most wanted

The Doe Network:
Case File 4222DMMI

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4222dmmi.html

Mark Steven Martin
Missing since August 31, 1981 from Madison Heights, Michigan
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: March 14, 1978
Age at Time of Disappearance: 2 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 2'10"; 30-35 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Light brown / sandy hair; brown eyes.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Carolyn Martin and her 2-year-old son, Mark Martin were last seen on August 31, 1981. They reportedly were dropped off on the side of I-75, just north of Toledo, Ohio, by Mark's father.

Carolyn Martin's family and friends had gathered the afternoon of August 31, 1981, to help her pack for an abrupt move to San Antonio. Her fiance wanted to relocate there for a job at an auto shop. The two had recently gotten engaged after years of acrimony. Carolyn's ex had very little to do with either her or Mark before that point -- until a paternity suit ordered him to pay child support. The couple had reconciled and were looking forward to a new life together.

Carolyn stopped at her mother's Hazel Park home with Mark that evening to say goodbye. That was the last time the family saw her or Mark.

Within an hour after they left the metropolitan Detroit area, Carolyn reportedly told her boyfriend she didn't want to go with him to Texas anymore. He then left her and Mark on the side of I-75 with a suitcase, $4,000 in cash and the clothes on their backs. No one has seen or heard from them since. Their names, DOBs and Social Security numbers have never been used.

Madison Heights Police started looking into the case the following spring, after the family filed missing person reports. Foul play is suspected.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Madison Heights Police Department
Detective Kowolaski
248-585-2100

Agency Case Number: 8204670

Source Information:
America's Most Wanted

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=71154
Article about both Mother and Son at AMW.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/martin_carolyn.html
Carolyn.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/martin_mark.html
Mark.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/6907/29/
Carolyn NamUS Profile:
Dental: NA
DNA: Sample submitted-tests complete
Fingerprints: NA

Snipped from Carolyn's NamUs Profile:
Circumstances On August 31, 1981 Carolyn Martin and her 2 year old son Mark Martin left Hazel Park, Mi. to move to San Antonio, Texas. They left with Carolyn's boyfriend and father of her son, Harry Kzirian aka Hamparsohan Kirwzian. Both Carolyn and Mark have not been heard from since. When interviewed in April, 1982 Harry stated to police that Carolyn changed her mind enroute to Texas and that he dropped her and Mark off near Toledo, Ohio.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/7917/28/
Mark NamUs Profile:
Dental: NA
DNA: Sample submitted-tests complete
Fingerprints: NA

Carolyn and Mark have been missing almost 29 years. Come home soon. Carolyn's family still searches for answers.

Attachments

• Carolyn Sue Martin.bmp
    52.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Carolyn Sue Martin1.bmp
    57.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Mark Steven Martin.bmp
    50.4 KB · Views: 19
Carolyn and Mark Martin have been missing for 34 years now.

"Twin awaits Madison Heights sister's return as state observes missing persons' month" - May 2015

http://www.dailytribune.com/general-news/20150508/twin-awaits-madison-heights-sisters-return-as-state-observes-missing-persons-month

“Every day,” said 58-year-old Martin, who now lives in Florida, when asked how often he looks up their names on the Internet. “I just keep on Googling their names hoping that I will get lucky.”

Martin says although he suspects foul play in her disappearance his heart tells him the mother and the son are still alive.

“As a twin, I don’t feel that she is really gone,” Martin said.

The two had recently gotten engaged after years of acrimony. Carolyn's ex had very little to do with either her or Mark before that point -- until a paternity suit ordered him to pay child support.
Unfortunately, it's fairly obvious what happened to them. Locating the bodies will be a challenge because the ex-boyfriend could have gotten rid of them anywhere between Michigan and Texas. The bodies may not be together: he may have disposed of them separately in order to lessen the chances of them being found or identified. The child would have been small enough to dispose of in a garbage bag placed in a gas-station trash can. The entire move to Texas was probably just part of the plan to dispose of the two, so he probably put quite a bit of planning into the disposal of the bodies. For instance, he may have left them in a dumpster that he knew would be emptied the same day, with the contents destined for an incinerator. This seems like a case where the boyfriend could have been charged with abduction or murder even without the bodies.

I read somewhere (Detroit News article maybe?) that the newspaper called him for a comment on the story and when asked about Carolyn and Mark he said "I don't know who that is"

Grrr......

I read somewhere (Detroit News article maybe?) that the newspaper called him for a comment on the story and when asked about Carolyn and Mark he said "I don't know who that is"

Grrr......
I'm not surprised to hear about that sort of response from that sort of person.

Grrr......
I hope LE has continued to keep an eye on Harry Kzirian (or whatever his name is these days).
36+ years without justice .

New thought: I wonder whether LE looked into Harry Kzirian's finances to see whether he was actually short $4,000 (which is the amount he claimed he left Carolyn and Mark with). Maybe he paid someone $4,000 to help him kill the two or get rid of their bodies; maybe that part of his story was meant to explain where the $4,000 went.

New thought: I wonder whether LE looked into Harry Kzirian's finances to see whether he was actually short $4,000 (which is the amount he claimed he left Carolyn and Mark with). Maybe he paid someone $4,000 to help him kill the two or get rid of their bodies; maybe that part of his story was meant to explain where the $4,000 went.
This is smart. I thought mentioning the $4,000 was a bit odd on his part to begin with (and a large amount to have on hand in cash), but it makes perfect sense if he was preparing for the possibility that LE would check his finances. Thanks for bringing this up!

I think the post-mortem interval is probably too great, but it might be worth a comparison:

"March, 1982 – The body of a white woman who was strangled washed ashore near the Monroe Power Plant. In 2009, the body was exhumed and a forensic artist reconstructed the victim's facial features. Her identity remains a mystery."

Still waiting for justice - News - Monroe News - Monroe, Michigan - Monroe, MI

Carolyn and Mark Martin have been missing for 34 years now.

"Twin awaits Madison Heights sister's return as state observes missing persons' month" - May 2015

Twin awaits Madison Heights sister's return as state observes missing persons' month
I want to thank you for posting this article of my twin sister Carolyn and her son Mark. I am just now finding out about Websleuth and have just recently become a member. So I have a little catch up to do with reaching out to everyone who has taken an interest in Carolyn "Sue" Martin and her son "Markie" Steven Martin missing persons case. I will be checking in several times a day. Thank you again and I hope we have a chance to chat again

There's a fairly recent story from WXYZ:

"Missing in Michigan: New age progression photo released in investigation of Madison Heights mother, son missing nearly 40 years"

Missing in Michigan: New age progression photo released in investigation of Madison Heights mother, son missing nearly 40 years
The first annual Missing in Michigan Event was held on May 7th, 2011 at Ford Field in Detroit, MI. The slideshow was made to commemorate the families of the missing that attended the event.

Carolyn and Mark are included.

Thank you so much for your post regarding Carolyn Sue Martin and Mark Steven Martin. I am Carolyn Sue's twin brother. I have only recently become a member on WebSleuth and just wanted to reach out and say hello and that I am here if anyone has any questions regarding the events leading up to and over the years of Carolyn and Mark's disappearance

Hello, I'm Ty Martin, Carolyn "Sue" Martin's twin brother. I was just going through the case files that the police department didn't redact and found that in the initial interview with "Harry Kzirian is the spelling of the name he goes by now" that he had withdrawn $12000.00 just three weeks prior to the day of their so called trip to Texas from his account at the National Bank of Detroit NBD in Ferndale Michigan. My question still remains "Who would carry that kind of money in cash on a cross country trip. The report doesn't show that the LE agency looking into this case

I hope LE has continued to keep an eye on Harry Kzirian (or whatever his name is these days).
36+ years without justice .
Hello, I just met with the new detectives in charge of my sister Carolyn and her Mark Martin's missing persons case. They assured me that they were going to actively investigate this case. They will not only re-interview him to clarify a few things but they also have more questions for him that they would like him to answer. They will also be interviewing his friends, one unparticular who was always with him everywhere Harry went, including when Harry was visiting Carolyn and Mark at the rental house in Madison Heights Michigan Carolyn, Mark, and I shared. They are also going to attempt to track down the 1978 Pontiac Grand Prix that was sold off a month or two prior to his police interview in the beginning of April 1982. I will be making weekly calls and email correspondence with the detectives in charge to keep me informed of any progress. Thank you again for your interest and postings.

This is smart. I thought mentioning the $4,000 was a bit odd on his part to begin with (and a large amount to have on hand in cash), but it makes perfect sense if he was preparing for the possibility that LE would check his finances. Thanks for bringing this up!
Hi. I'm Carolyn Sue Martin's twin brother. I have been asking this very question over the years as to who would carry this much cash on them on a cross country trip in the middle of a recession. Even I know you use travelers checks when traveling. But in his 1982 police interview he told police that he had withdrawn $12000.00 three weeks prior to the so called trip to Texas. The file doesn't say that the investigating detective followed up with the NBD National Bank of Detroit in Ferndale Michigan

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back