Match! CA - San Francisco, WhtFem body, ~40, Jul'10 - Nancy Barrett

zinc

Reaction score
San Francisco Chronicle: Help sought in identifying dead woman in S.F.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/09/01/BA5P1F7BN0.DTL
The woman was found early July 16[, 2010] in the lot of the Presidio Inn at 2361 Lombard St., the chief medical examiner's office said Wednesday. The cause of her death has not been determined.

The woman was white, about 40, and was 5-foot-8 and 129 pounds, the office said. She had wavy brown and gray hair, about 16 inches long.

The woman was wearing a blue sweat shirt and several shirts, green cargo pants, black Teva sandals and a pink baseball cap with the words, "Roadside Lumber & Hardware Inc." She had no jewelry, tattoos or identifying scars.

Anyone with information is asked to call the chief medical examiner at (415) 553-1694.

The street where the woman was found is roughly in the Marina District-Cow Hollow area, which as a whole is not a shady place — lots of yuppies, fairly well-off types, nightclubs in some areas — but that stretch of Lombard has a whole bunch of motels, most of them privately run, I think. Given that she has gone this long without being identified, it is possible that she was a drug addict, sex worker, or otherwise homeless. She may also simply have been traveling.

That she was wearing several shirts in July is not necessarily meaningful in San Francisco, since summers in the Bay Area are generally cool and this one has been one of the coldest on record.

Roadside Lumber & Hardware, Inc. is based in Agoura Hills, California, which is about 30 miles northwest of Los Angeles, between Simi Valley near the hills and Malibu on the coast.

(Attachments are pencil sketches of the UID.)

Edited to add: As of September 1, 2010, she is not yet in NamUs.

Attachments

• ba-janedoe02_0502172233.jpg
    ba-janedoe02_0502172233.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 638
  • ba-janedoe02_0502172234.jpg
    ba-janedoe02_0502172234.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 142
  • ba-janedoe02_ph3_0502172232.jpg
    ba-janedoe02_ph3_0502172232.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 152
Age is off, as is hair color, but she looks so much like Crystal Fox, and Crystal went missing in that same area in 2008:
http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200905727S

And this one is missing from the same area as the lumber business:

http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200301089W

Okay, Dolly Perez seems highly unlikely - she'd be 57 now and was only 5'2". The UID was 5'8".

Crystal Fox is much more promising IMO.

Height - 5'7" vs 5'8 (UID). 1" discrepancy is a reporting error.

Weight - 110 vs 129. Normally people don't gain weight when they're homeless but we're only talking 19lbs from an unusually low starting point for the height. Both women could be described as tall and thin. This might also be a reporting error, e.g., from an old driver's license.

Hair color - Crystal would be 31 now. That's young to go gray, but if she were homeless, she might not be dying it, and she's not too young to be graying. The UID seems facially younger than 40. UID is described as having "gray and brown hair." A friend of mine had similar color hair to Crystal's when younger. Now, at 33, he is graying slightly and his hair appears more brown.

Circumstances - Crystal's car was found near the Golden Gate Bridge, possibly as little as 2 miles from the UID's location. Her disappearance is consistent with suicide or a mental breakdown - and if the latter, 1.5 years of homelessness in SFO is not difficult to reconcile. Her father says:

Xmas might come and go but My wife's birthday she never missed. we received a call on January 7th from Sacramento that her car a 1996 Toyota Tercel had been found abandoned in a parking area next to the Golden Gate bridge on or about the 30th of December.She had like many others lost her job and I find out now had been selling her processions and had ended a relationship.She had been living on her own for close to 6 years. She never asked for help.

If she had truly hit rock bottom, she might have sold her car first (a good '96 Tercel is still worth $1k or so) but if she were ending a relationship too, she might simply have walked away, been too ashamed, confused or just poor to make contact, and then sadly ended her own life. It certainly sounds as though she was not in the tightest contact with her family, and that she was experiencing a difficult situation before her disappearance.

Here's an article with a fourth drawing the previous article didn't include, a side-view of the woman wearing her ballcap:

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2010/09/dead_woman_motel_lombard.php

July 2010 article from when she was found. Note the information that the lumber company was able to account for all its employees:

http://www.ktvu.com/news/24310511/detail.html

Her ballcap might be important yet. The lumber company's site states that they have over 100 employees and sell to contractors as well as the general public. As sexist as this sounds, exactly how many pink ballcaps would they have made with the company name printed on them? Would these have been given away as promotions or only to employees?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144695&highlight=2010

Nancy Barrett seems to be a possibility?

http://www.smdp.com/Articles-c-2011-07-18-72207.113116-Venice-woman-still-missing-after-a-year.html

<snipped>
Nancy Barrett, 53, was last seen on July 14, 2010

Barrett, described as a white female with brown hair and brown eyes, 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighs approximately 150 pounds

Police believe Barrett's hair is most likely gray. She may have been wearing green cargo pants and a tan sweater.

I have submitted Nancy Barrett's name for consideration in case #9170 to the Namus ME and Case Manager.

--- On Tue, 1/24/12, Jana.Tawney@sfgov.org <Jana.Tawney@sfgov.org> wrote:

Subject: Re: NamUs - Identify - 9170
To: <redacted>
Date: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 4:35 PM

Hi XXXX,

I want to say thank you, Nancy Barrett was a match. She is now officially identified and her family has been notified. <rest of message redacted>

Sincerely,

Jana Tawney, BA
Public Service Aide
Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
City and County of San Francisco

FANTASTIC Summer Breeze!!! Oh my gosh! I'm so excited! :skip: Nancy gets to go home!

And that was FAST!!!

Bless you-I am so very glad that Nancy is going home to those who love her.

:hug:

I like to analyze these cases to help with future sleuthing. With this one, I wonder how Nancy got all the way up to San Fran when LE reported they thought she was still in the area? :waitasec:

Great Job SB-You brought a long lost family member home and a family closure!! RIP Nancy

cfae6b74-78a6-4105-b433-79783931710d.jpg
a01eda79-6903-4c93-9939-b9b98def47f8.jpg

http://www.smdp.com/datedimages/2011/07/18/33658EmRX22B4955.med.jpg

Excellent job summer_breeze! So glad Nancy's family has answers and she has her name back.

Sleep peacefully, Nancy.

Great job, Summer Breeze! RIP Nancy. I'll be praying for comfort for her family.

I like to analyze these cases to help with future sleuthing. With this one, I wonder how Nancy got all the way up to San Fran when LE reported they thought she was still in the area? :waitasec:

I'm curious to know if Nancy's case was in NamUs. I didn't find it in the missing info/support forum thread. Does anyone know if LAPD entered Nancy's case into NamUs or was it just the MSM articles?

ETA: This match got me wondering about how many cases are in MSM only and never make it into NamUs. That is if Nancy's case was not in NamUs. :waitasec:

--- On Tue, 1/24/12, Jana.Tawney@sfgov.org <Jana.Tawney@sfgov.org> wrote:

Subject: Re: NamUs - Identify - 9170
To: <redacted>
Date: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 4:35 PM

Hi XXXX,

I want to say thank you, Nancy Barrett was a match. She is now officially identified and her family has been notified. <rest of message redacted>

Sincerely,

Jana Tawney, BA
Public Service Aide
Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
City and County of San Francisco

Wow! I am really impressed summer_breeze! Amazing job!

I answered my own question. It looks like Nancy's missing persons case is in NamUs.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/11880/0/

Her NamUs case file indicates she was possibly wearing the green cargo pants, same as listed with the decedent.

Copying over the namus case file information before it is removed. (both the UID and MP cases have not yet been closed out of NamUs) sorry the carry over is so jumbled. Wondering why this wasn't picked up by NamUs, other than the obvious that DNA and Dentals are not listed for the MP. (or are listed as not available). I hope NamUs is hitting on information other than if only DNA and Dentals are available. Not trying to negate the match, it is an excellent job and excellent example of why human eyes still need to look through these databases. Just curious as to what NamUs is missing.

Case Report - NamUs MP # 11880

Case Information

Status Missing First name Nancy Middle name Last name Barrett Nickname/Alias
Date LKA July 14, 2010 16:45 Date entered 08/04/2011
Age LKA 53 to years old Age now Unknown
DOB Race White Ethnicity Sex Female
Height (inches) 68.0
Weight (pounds)150.0

Circumstances

City Venice (Los Angeles) State California Zip code County Los Angeles
Circumstances Barrett was last seen on July 14, 2010, around 4:45 p.m. in the area of her home in the 2600 block of Grand Canal Court in the Venice area.

Barrett moved from her apartment to her car, which was parked in front her former home. She abandoned her car and possessions and left the area under unknown circumstances. She has not been seen or heard from since.

She may be in the Venice Beach or Santa Monica areas.

Physical

Hair color Brown Head hair It is now likely that Barrett’s hair is extremely gray.
Body hair
Facial hair
Left eye color Brown Right eye color Brown Eye description
No known distinctive body features
Distinctive features as described below Amputations
Deformities
Scars and marks
Tattoos
Piercings
Artificial body parts
and aids
Finger and toe nails
Other distinctive
physical characteristics

Medical

Medical implants
Foreign objects
Skeletal information

Clothing and Accessories

Clothing and accessories are unknown
Clothing and accessories are described below
Clothing She may have been wearing green cargo pants and a tan sweater
Footwear
Jewelry
Eyewear
Accessories

Transportation Methods

Vehicle make
Vehicle model Year Style Vehicle color Tag type Tag number Tag state Expiration year
Vehicle comments
Airline
Bus

Dental

Status Dental information / charting is currently not available
DNA

Fingerprint Information

Police Information

TitleDetectiveFirst nameM.Last nameCiuffetelli JurisdictionLocalAgencyLAPD Missing Persons UnitAddress 1Address 2CityLos AngelesStateCaliforniaZip codePhone213-996-1800Emailmissingpersons@lapd.lacity.orgWebsitehttp://www.lapdonline.org/Case number101417729Date reportedComments

Woo Hoo Summer!!!!!

Good job.

Blessings to Nancy's family. May she rest in peace.

It looks like she lost some weight between when the picture was taken and when the artist did the sketch. :(

Salem

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back