RI - Conrad Beaulieu, 62, murdered, Tiverton, 4 Sept 2010 *Insanity*

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
Joel Beaulieu aged 29 has been charged with murdering his own father, Conrad Beaulieu aged 62.

The son also assaulted his mother, Diane. The son is in the hospital with injuries, but it doesn't say how he got them.

The Beaulieu's are two beloved language teachers who teach at Tiverton High School.

How sad is that? What could have happened here?

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/re...killed_dad_assaulted_mom/srvc=home&position=3

Lots of comments after the article, but I didn't read them.

Very sad.

A couple of the comments by people who claim to know the family say there was a history of mental illness, and that the parents had tried everything to get him help.

Prayers for all of them. Having watched a similar story play out, that's all I know to do. It's a very helpless situation with an adult who cannot be committed involuntarily.

Unless people have lived with a mentally ill loved one, it is impossible to know just how hard it is to get them help. It is NOT a matter of finding a good doctor. Very few people qualify or will accept guardianship, where the parents get to make choices, and so many people go off their meds or refuse therapy.

To be able to access services, a situation usually must be a crisis. Even if a short term hospital hold is arranged, the person is released with a month's worth of drugs. You have to access the drugs, the therapy AND facilitate the person taking the drugs and going to the therapy. Often, after a week or so on drugs or two therapy sessions, they're done, as they feel fine. It's a never ending cycle. It is like herding cats uphill and destroys any sense of peaceful family relations.

I always suggest that people contact NAMI and attend their classes on loving and living with those with mental illness. I learned so much in those classes. Those of us who love a person who was born with or has developed a mental illness can never ever take safety for granted. Each day is a gift.

http://nami.org/

I'm almost certain that this young man will have remorse the rest of his life. That's the greatest tragedy of most mental illnesses--the person knows they can't control themselves. They know right from wrong but inner demons--in the form of skewed brain chemistry--drive their actions. My prayers go out to this family and community.

Thanks for the link Missizzy. I have always struggled with trying to know the best way to respond to my daughter when she is having issues with her bipolar. I've never really read anything that was helpful, but the link may be able to help me. I always want to react and respond in a way that is most helpful to her and it is a constant battle. Even though she is 22 now, we still cope with it, of course. Hopefully, I will be able to get some solid tips from that site. We were able to get her back on our medical insurance with the new insurance laws increasing the age for insuring children. We had struggled for so long without her having it and it is a blessing beyond measure that she can now receive adequate treatment.

This is just SO sad, all the way around. I am broken hearted for this Mother and what she may have seen and experienced. Did her husband try to defend himself?? Did she have to try and defend herself against her son? Heartbreaking! Now she will have to face her husbands death and the trial of her son.

A mental health evaluation has been ordered for Joel Beaulieu. He was ushered into court in hospital scrubs and a bandaged hand.

Joel's mother, Diane remains in ICU, but has spoken to family members.

Police were called to the home several times Sunday night before the last call where they found both Joel and Diane in the driveway covered in blood. Conrad Beaulieu was pronounced dead at the hospital.

May God Bless this family at such a horrific time in their lives.

http://www.heraldnews.com/news/x128...valuation-ordered-for-Tiverton-murder-suspect

This is just SO sad, all the way around. I am broken hearted for this Mother and what she may have seen and experienced. Did her husband try to defend himself?? Did she have to try and defend herself against her son? Heartbreaking! Now she will have to face her husbands death and the trial of her son.

Mom tried to run for help. She was seen by a neighbor (who called 911) lying on the driveway and Joel was standing over her with the knife. Let's see if I can find a link for that, I saw it on the news. This is local for me. This one says the police found her in the driveway but there was a neighbor who initially found her there according to a news report I saw on TV.
http://www2.turnto10.com/news/news/2010/sep/06/14/one-dead-tiverton-stabbing-ar-223195/

Belinda--I urge you to contact your state or regional NAMI office. They run 6-8 week training programs which are invaluable. No question will be dismissed. Other families and the trainers have "seen it all". NAMI also has a network of support groups and lending libraries.

Those of us who have a loved one or close friend with mental illness need the tools to help that person. It's no different than being trained in diabetes, seizure or asthma management/response. Not a whit. Often, it just helps to know that your experiences are shared by many.

You know what I remember from my two sets of trainings? The laughter and the nodding heads. Those of us who walk this road must keep a sense of humor and appreciate validation for what we endure. We're not laughing at the person who is ill but laughing to maintain our sanity. The laughter is far better than the alternative.

(((hugs)))

This happened in my home town, and I and my children had the Beaulieu's as teachers, as well as fellow parishoners. As the parent of a bi-polar adult child myself, my heart is especially broken for Mrs. B. Belinda, I feel for you. My daughter is 21. Since this happened, I'm more worried than ever how my daughter will be seen here. This is a small town -- anyone who read comments after the articles will see the mentality we are up against here. The Beaulieu family is in my prayers and constant thoughts.

This happened in my home town, and I and my children had the Beaulieu's as teachers, as well as fellow parishoners. As the parent of a bi-polar adult child myself, my heart is especially broken for Mrs. B. Belinda, I feel for you. My daughter is 21. Since this happened, I'm more worried than ever how my daughter will be seen here. This is a small town -- anyone who read comments after the articles will see the mentality we are up against here. The Beaulieu family is in my prayers and constant thoughts.

Good luck to you. It becomes so much more difficult when they are adults. We have all the same worries, but way less control. My daughter has a good head on her shoulders, so that helps balance things. It breaks my heart to see her struggle.

From December 2011:

http://patch.com/rhode-island/tiver...lares-joel-beaulieu-not-guilty-by-r397f585ced

Justice Melanie W. Thunberg has found Joel Beaulieu not guilty by reason of insanity in the Sept. 4, 2010, stabbing death of his father and assault of his mother...

This is a tragic story of two loving parents who tried to protect their only son from his own mental illness and get him the help he needed," Kilmartin added... "Just as she was there for her son as he struggled with his disease, Mrs. Beaulieu has courageously stood by her son through the trial."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back