OR OR - Kacey Perry, 10, Portland, 14 Sept 1990

Kat

Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 298DFOR

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/298dfor.html

Kacey Ann Perry
Missing since September 14, 1990 from Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon.
Classification: Lost, Injured, Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: May 31, 1980
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 10 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'6; 60 pounds
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.
•Clothing: A bright pink blouse with black buttons; jeans; black and pink socks; and black tennis shoes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Perry lives with her mother in Jefferson, a Marion County town a few miles north of Albany, and was visiting her father in Southeast Portland.
Her parents never married and separated when Perry was 3.
Perry ran away from his house in the 2200 block of Southeast 37th Avenue near Laurelhurst Park, Southeast Portland, Oregon on
September 14 1990 after arguing with him and, saying she was going to her mother's home.
Perry's mother has legal custody of her, she became upset because he had told her to leave her mother's home and live with him.
Perry was reportedly seen hitchhiking a few days after her disappearance in Albany and at Interstate 5 and Interstate 205 near Wilsonville.
More than 8,000 fliers were distributed and Scuba divers searched the duck pond at Laurelhurst Park.
Perry's belongings later were found in front of the Kienow's Food Store at Southeast 39th Avenue and Division Street.
In August, a family friend, told police he'd killed the girl and dumped her body near Kelso, Washington.
Police found no sign of the girl's remains, and the man recanted his claim on national TV.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Perry's whereabouts, please contact:
Portland Bureau of Police
Missing Persons Unit
503-823-0400
Email
All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

Agency Case Number: 90-79829

NCMEC #: NCMC745166

NCIC Number: M-700439942
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information: The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
Oregon State Police Missing Children Clearinghouse
The Oregonian

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/perry_kacey.html
More details at Charley Project.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/6520/7/
NamUs Profile:
Dental: NA
DNA: NA
Fingerprints: NA

No archived articles found at this time.

Kacey has been missing almost 20 years. Come home soon.

(age progression to the right, aged 26 circa 2007)

Attachments

• KPerry.jpg
    KPerry.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 89
  • KPerry1 age progressed to age 26 (circa 2007).jpg
    KPerry1 age progressed to age 26 (circa 2007).jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 87
Wow. SE Portland (Especially Laurelhurst) was a much different place 23 years ago... I thought it was fairly dangerous, I guess it's still not the nicest part of town.

So wait, she was seen in Albany, then a few days later in Wilsonville? But her mother lived a few miles north of Albany? I'm confused.

Actually, the Laurelhurst area is a very affluent part of the city. A little farther north where her belongings were found was a different story back then, however. (Now it is also a very sought after place to live.) I'm very curious about the friend who said he killed her. Bizarre.

Cold case: Detectives searching for answers in 1990 disappearance of 10-year-old girl

http://www.kptv.com/story/34440391/cold-case-detectives-searching-for-answers-in-1990-disappearance-of-10-year-old-girl

Where is Kacey Perry? That's the question that weighs on the minds of Portland detectives more than a quarter century after the 10-year-old little girl first disappeared from her father's home.

After all this time, detectives say they are still fighting to find her.

The case of Kacey Perry captivated a region, shattered a family and haunts investigators to this day.

"I've spoken to detectives that worked on this case and this is definitely a case they've carried with them emotionally since," said Portland Police Detective Meredith Hopper.

Detectives have their theories about what happened that night, but short of finding the evidence to prove it, they remain theories.

They've questioned people in connection with Kacey's disappearance, but no one was ever officially named a suspect.

"Detectives did a great job on the case, but unfortunately they were never able to find the answer to where she went," said Hopper.

At this point Hopper believes Kacey is not alive.

"I'd like to say yes, but it's been many years and I would be surprised," Hopper added.

Yet still, her pursuit for answers continues.

Just doesn't make sense to me, the father wants her to move in with him than let's her runaway to her mothers home after the fight? She's 10! Wish there was more details about how/when she left following the fight, did she sneak out when the dad wasn't looking? Run out the door in front of the dad? Read some interesting suspicions on ancestry from her brother...

More than 8,000 fliers were distributed and Scuba divers searched the duck pond at Laurelhurst Park.
Perry's belongings later were found in front of the Kienow's Food Store at Southeast 39th Avenue and Division Street.
In August, a family friend, told police he'd killed the girl and dumped her body near Kelso, Washington.
Police found no sign of the girl's remains, and the man recanted his claim on national TV.

I wonder if we can find that TV show.

FEB 4, 2021
Kacey Perry’s friends tackle mystery 1990 disappearance | KOIN.com
AH and AB think about their childhood friend Kacey Perry every day. More than 3 decades ago they were among a group of neighborhood friends from Hoover Elementary in Salem.

[...]

“My fondest memory of Kacey is probably she was hanging upside-down on the bars that all the kids want to play on,” AB said. “She would hang upside-down, stick her tongue out at you, chuckle, and do a little cherry bomb off of it, land on her feet, laugh, and then go on about her business.”

kacey-perry-b-02022021.jpg

But their memories of Kacey Perry don’t go beyond September 1990. She vanished on a Friday night from her dad’s house in Southeast Portland.

At that time, Kacey’s dad, MF, told KOIN 6 News about the night she vanished.

“We got into a discussion, argument actually, and she wanted to go home that evening. And I told her I’d take her home the next morning” MF said then. “She basically gave up then and went to bed and I came out here and sat out here for an hour-and-a-half or so and went back in to check in on her and she was gone.”
Investigators think she may have tried to find a way back to her mom’s house in the Keizer area. Tami Perry said it was strange for her daughter to up and leave.

[...]

Witnesses spotted Kacey at Kienow’s Food Store, about 10 blocks away from her dad’s house. Today, a Rite Aid is at this location. Detectives said Kacey took a purse with her that had clothes in it and those items were found abandoned.

[...]

Search dogs picked up her scent at Laurelhurst Park. Flyers went out. There were sightings of someone hitchhiking near the interstate in Albany and Wilsonville, but no confirmation it was Kacey.

A confession, ‘but it all crumbled’
At the time, PPB homicide detective CW Jensen was on the case.

“It’s 30 years later and it breaks my heart. It breaks my heart and I don’t think people understand how tightly we get wound up in these cases,” Jensen said recently. “Some of them change our lives.”

kacey-perry-i-02022021.jpg

[...]

The PPB Cold Case Unit told KOIN 6 News Kacey’s case has been revisited several times since 1990, even re-examining evidence, contacting witnesses and persons of interest.

“What do I think?” Jensen said. “I don’t think she ran away. I don’t think a stranger snatched her off the street. That kind of narrows it down.”

In 2014, a relative’s DNA profile was uploaded into a couple of national databases for missing people to create a possible match in case her remains are found one day.

[...]

‘That is my ultimate goal’
The case has remained quiet.

So AH and AB began again trying to solve this case.

[...]

They’ve procured donated flyers and billboards in the Salem and Portland areas. They’re working to get their communities involved in Kacey’s case, too.

“Maybe it’ll spark a conversation with them to say, ‘Hey, do you remember this story?'” AH said. “Maybe somebody knows something and they just didn’t realize they know it. Maybe they saw something and didn’t realize what they saw.”

kacey-perry-f-02022021.jpg

MF recently spoke with KOIN 6 News about the difficult times over the decades without closure about his daughter. He said he strongly appreciates what Kacey’s childhood friends are doing.

For AH and AB, it’s about more than helping to solve a mystery.

[...]

“Knowing that she’s not sitting out there by herself anymore, that is my ultimate goal,” AH said. “To give her a final resting place.”

kacey-perry-d-02022021.jpg

Kacey Ann Perry – The Charley Project

Kacey Ann Perry
perry_kacey2.jpg
perry_kacey5.jpg
perry_kacey6.jpg
kacey_ann_perry_2.jpg
kacey_ann_perry_5.jpg

Kacey, circa 1990; Age-progression at age 26 (circa 2006); Brian George, circa 2010
  • Missing Since 09/14/1990
  • Missing From Portland, Oregon
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 05/31/1980 (40)
  • Age 10 years old
  • Height and Weight 4'6, 60 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A beige polo shirt with a wide white stripe, blue jeans, black and pink socks and black sneakers.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Sandy blonde hair, blue eyes. Kacey's hair was shoulder-length at the time of her disappearance. Her teeth are decayed. She has a scar on her right foot near the ankle and a large mole in the middle of her back.
Details of Disappearance
Kacey was visiting her father's residence in southeast Portland, Oregon on September 14, 1990. She had a disagreement with her father and ran away from his home in the 2200 block of Southeast 37th Avenue at approximately 11:00 p.m. that evening.

They argued after her father told her he wanted her to move out of her mother's home and in with him and his wife, or she would not be allowed to visit him anymore. Kacey's parents had never married and her mother had legal custody of her at the time of her disappearance. Her father claims he was troubled by the conditions in her mother's home.

Kacey never returned to her father's home. She took some extra clothes hidden in her purse when she left. She may have attempted to travel back to her mother's residence in Keizer, Oregon. Shortly after she left, witnesses saw her at Kienow's Food Store in the 2400 block of Southeast 39th Avenue, near Division Street, about ten blocks from her father's home.

Kacey was carrying her purse, which is believed to have contained a bright pink blouse with large black buttons. She has never been seen again. Later, the purse and clothing were found abandoned near the store. She may have been seen hitchhiking a few days after her disappearance in Albany, Oregon, and at Interstate 5 and Interstate 205 near Wilsonville, Oregon, but these sightings have not been confirmed.

Brian Keith George confessed to Kacey's murder in August 1991 and stated that he concealed her body some time after her disappearance. He is a former boyfriend of Kacey's mother and had remained close to Kacey and her siblings after his relationship with her mother ended.

At the time of his confession, he was in police custody in Portland on a charge of bank robbery. He told investigators that he buried her remains in a wooded area outside his hometown of Kelso, Washington, but searches of the area he specified turned up only animal bones.

A photo of George is posted with this case summary. He has since recanted his confession. He is still considered a suspect in Kacey's case, however, and had been even before her implicated himself. He had assisted in the initial search for Kacey, and he has a criminal record including a manslaughter conviction, for which he served nine years in prison. George told the media in interviews that he believes Kacey's father was responsible for her disappearance. There is no evidence to support this allegation.

George was later sent back to prison and remains incarcerated. He has never been charged in connection with Kacey's disappearance. She was in the fifth grade at the time of her disappearance. Her case remains unsolved, but foul play is suspected.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back