Double-Decker Bus Hits Bridge in Upstate NY: 4 killed, Many Seriously Injured

TripleA

Reaction score
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/09/driver_of_megabus_that_struck.html

"Editor's note: This story was written by staff writers Charley Hannagan and Robert A. Baker. Staff writer John O’Brien and contributing writer Fernando Alfonso contributed to this report.

Salina, NY -- The double-decker Philadelphia-to-Toronto Megabus that crashed Saturday into a bridge over Onondaga Lake Parkway, killing four people, apparently missed a turn en route to a scheduled stop in Syracuse.

Share “He was looking for the Regional Transportation Center (on Park Street),” Onondaga County Sheriff Kevin Walsh said of the bus driver. “He was lost and unsure where he was.”

The crash of the 13-foot-tall bus into the 10-foot, 9-inch high CSX railroad bridge over the parkway early Saturday jolted snoozing passengers into a chaotic scene of blood and death, screams and confusion..."

Very sad. My condolences to the families of those who were lost and prayers for those that were injured and their families as well. What a terrifying experience for everyone involved. My prayers also go out to the driver because, although I believe this was wholly driver error, I don't believe it was an intentional act.

Driver was using a GPS system.They are good but should never be solely relied on.Mine has several times told me to turn on a highway,if I would have listened I would have driven right into a bridge embankment or made a turn where no exit exsisted.

Can't blame the GPS, that parkway is plastered with warning signs and lights long before the underpass. It wouldn't matter what mapping tool was being used, he still should have seen it coming. I have made my share of driving "errors" and I drive hundreds of miles a day, so I do understand that it was not intentional, which is why they call it an accident. However, this accident was extremely costly and the driver will pay dearly for his negligence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back